How Did Islam Spread Across South Asia

sikhstudent99

The closest some might get to sufi is listening to Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan.

Who, funnily enough (not 'ha-ha' funny), would get chopped up by the Taliban or ISIS in a hypothetical caliphate for indulging in haraam or un-Sharia activities. Yet, some of these Muslims who sympathise with enforcers of Sharia also love beating the drum for how Nusrat was a genius (he was IMO) and how much they adore his music. Lots of cognitive dissonance going on.

most pakis in the uk say theyre sufi... I call bs they are all sunni. Sufis get persecuted

Most Sufis in the world are Sunni, and a minority are Shia. It isn't an independent sect you know. It doesn't even have a set definition.

A high percentage of British Pakistanis (especially 'Mirpuris') follow the Barelwi school of thought, which is very heavily Sufi influenced. This is why Mirpuris are actually significantly under-represented amongst Islamic extremists coming from the UK, (if you think about it, you barely ever hear about an extremist coming from Bradford). Most of the British Asian extremists that you hear about on the news that have gone to Syria are Bengali, and there are even a few Gujaratis that have gone, like that kid from Dewsbury who recently blew himself up. The remaining Sunni British Pakistanis tend to follow the Deobandi school of thought, which I think is what almost all the Guji Muslims and Bengalis in the UK follow.

This is why Mirpuris are actually significantly under-represented amongst Islamic extremists coming from the UK, (if you think about it, you barely ever hear about an extremist coming from Bradford).

Probably because they're too busy kidnapping and raping innocent little girls to find the time to become extremists. Virtually every single 'Asian' or Pakistani grooming gang in this country is made up of Mirpuris.

Come off it.

lol are u feeling ok? Is that why mirpuris go around dealing drugs and beating people up? Have u ever been to mirpur? You know how many trrirosts camps there are there in AJK? How many brits gone there for training? Your disillusion, what about the boy from high Wycombe who went for jihad?

Mirpuris are sufis because they are peaceful? LOL yeh right, they definitely arent sufi I can assure you that. Most sufis would be those from central punjab who speak our language. Also how can u be sufi and sunni? Sufis used to be critised hard during our gurus times as they wernt and still dont follow mainstream islam. If you read guru granth sahib ji u can see those sufi mytics who are vegeterian etc. Dont see many mirpuris as vegetarians for example.

http://www.differencebetween.net/miscellaneous/difference-between-sunni-and-sufi/

mirpuris definitely into worldly things and dont do meditation I can assure you of that.

Lol dude I never said or indicated Mirpuris are all peaceful and law abiding. Yes they're more likely to be violent thugs and criminals (because of their background) than other Asian Muslims, but it tends to be the less religious ones amongst them that are like that and they're still less likely to produce Islamic extremists. There's a big difference between being a criminal and an Islamic extremist you know. There's barely any religious extremism in Mirpur since most Sunnis there are Barelwi. I'm pretty sure most people from the UK don't go to training camps in AJK, they've traditionally gone to FATA to do that kind of thing.

'Mirpuris are sufis because they are peaceful' Did I even say that? Many (maybe most) Mirpuris in the UK follow the Brelwi school of thought which is heavily influenced by Sufism, this is indisputable. The ones in the UK from Central Punjab are mostly Deobandis, as are most Bengalis and Guji Muslims in the UK. These three groups are much less likely to become violent criminals than Mirpuris, they're also more likely to be well educated and disciplined, but they're also more likely to become extremists. If you watch the enws, most of these people going to Syria are educated people at university, they aren't drug dealers from Manningham. If you go to an area like Blackburn which as a large population of Mirpuris and Gujarait Muslims, it's common for the Gujis there to stereotype the Pakistanis there as 'Grave-worshipping Barelwis' because the Gujaratis are very strict Deobandis. In the Punjab and AJK region, the educated ones in the urban areas are more likely to be Deobandis and the ones in the rural areas (e.g. where Mirpuris come from) tend to be Barelwis.

That link doesnt work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sufism

Sufi orders are largely Sunni and follow one of the four schools of Sunni Islam and maintain a Sunni Aqidah or creed.[6] Over the years various Sufi orders have been influenced by and adopted into various Shi'ite movements includingIsmailism- which led to the Safaviyya order's conversion to Shi'ite Islam and the spread of Twelver Shi'ism throughout Persia.

Probably because they're too busy kidnapping and raping innocent little girls to find the time to become extremists. Virtually every single 'Asian' or Pakistani grooming gang in this country is made up of Mirpuris.

Come off it.

That has nothing to do with religious extremism though. Yes they're more likely drop out of school, become criminals, "groomers", etc, but they're still less likely to become extremists because many of them are Barelwis.