A Very Worrying And Disturbing Question, Needing To Be Answered...

Guest Gupt

So recently I went down and have been attending a weekly program/divaan (I will not mention the place, Gurdwara or any names of any person) after having heard many rumours and things about it, and have seen everything for my self.

There is loud waheguru jaap which I truly enjoy as to say it is a good experience, one that i cannot get anywhere else however there is some things I simply do not understand and leaves me heavy hearted and uncomfortable. During the loud simran i see many people experiencing these 'fits' where they apparently seem to be in some kind of state but are just shaking and rolling around violently while screaming and crying. Then the person who is leading the divan sometimes stands up and tries to explain the reasoning for this however i cant seem to grasp it. I dont know if hes just giving a wrong excuse for it or if i geniuenly cannot find the answer. He said Gurbani explains why people scream, cry and start shaking when do simran but i have never found this in Gurbani. Well at least why people start shaking, i can kinda understand the crying.

Here are the questions I want answered:

- Why do these fits happen? What does gurbani say about these:

- Why people scream?

- Why people cry?

- ANd why people start shaking and having these 'fits' when doing simran?

- Did the Guru Ji's go through these fits?

- Did anyone in Sikhi history go through these fits? Like Bhai Mardana Ji, Baba Budda Ji, Bhai Gurdas Ji, Baba Banda Singh Bahadur?

- Did any of todays or 21st centuries Sant Mahapurakhs experience these fits?

Seriously if someone shed some light on this it will clear a lot of things up for me, I dont want to have the thought in the back of my mind that I am going to this weekly program getting brainwashed by something that isn't even gurmat. I also want to know the reasoning behind these fits.... it doesnt even look like they are in any anand, it actually looks like they are experiencing an attack but i want to know what causes it. why does it happen to some people and not others. Is it a physical experience or spiritual experience. All this does not seem right to me in front of maharaj's hazoori.

It may work for them, but if you feel it's negatively impacting your faith in Sikhi, then walk away and find a method that gives you the peace you're seeking. If these doubts increase you may end up becoming disillusioned with the entire concept of Sikhi and religion. That's a tough place to be in. Have a word with someone you trust in that group and ask them what's going down. If it's all vague and "You aren't trying hard enough" sentiments being thrown back at you, then look inside yourself for the answer.

but i want to know what causes it. why does it happen to some people and not others. Is it a physical experience or spiritual experience. All this does not seem right to me in front of maharaj's hazoori.

I have heard from alot of advance spiritual people, who do alot of Simran that these things do happen but not to everyone. This is not anything to worry about. As you do more Simran everything from Gurbani will become clear.

The best thing to do is to ask the person who is leading the Simran ask him to explain everything to you.

I would also like to know why this happens and why some people get in more stronger and others seem to be fine in the sangat. I have gone thru where I went to a simran session, so I got up and didn't go back. But I put it down to my health not being so good then. It was quite scary watching the others though, why do people make weird noises too?

The crying is bairaag I think. But it put me off and I was so upset and cried when I got home. It actually put me off doing simran. Some gurdwaras sangat is fine and I'm ok but like the Op says above why does it happens at other sangat simrans?

In this video Giani Thakur Singh explains some of the things that happen on the spiritual path. Giani Ji mentions that some people get afraid after they have some experiences while doing Simran. Giani Ji explains that these things do happen and we should talk to a Nam Abyasi to clear our doubts. Giani Ji explains that some times people thought those people who did Simran and had these experiences were crazy. Giani Ji explained he had to tell alot of people they are not crazy but they are getting to high stages of there Bhagti and these things happen. No one should stop doing Simran.

Reality of Giani Thakur Singh Ji's life/experience:

Gupt Jee Sat Sree Akal,

as per my limited understanding, these screams and shakings, are not common, but when they take place, that is because outwardly we all look more or less same, but it is inwardly that we are at different levels of consciousness.

You see, suppose to a person who has been operated of the eyes, you open the bandage and suddenly flash a light of 200 watts ....what will happen?

He will not be able to withold that refulgence, and he will definetely shout and shake like he has been given a punch .

In a simialr way, if we are not clean spiritually, that energy manifested in the inner subtle levels, forget the jot of Wahiguru which is akhoot, but even just the lower forces manifestations in the form of lights and sounds on the astral and causal planes are also very potent by themselves, so if we are not that much paviter, naturally we can not gaze at that light in the beginning stages....

That is why purity in thought, deed and speech is so much stressed on any spiritaul path. It is a must. without being good at the bottom of our hearts, it is all "dikhavat", it is all "natak", we are only fooling ourselves in the end.

Without that purity, we can not move forward at all, towards our goal, Wahiguru. The Gurmukhs, Mahapurkhs, Sant Janas to which you refer above, could never ever go through all this, because they are the very embodiment of Truth and goodness.

Just look at Fifth Patshaee for example...

Sat Sree Aakl.

Hanji paji Harsharan ji I used to feel bit of it when I first started doing simran, I thought the same as you said that am I a bad person, is my atma possessed with something? I used to not want to do simran as I was so scared of what was happening. But now it makes sense, but is it a cleaning process of the atma or what? Because when it was happening more to others I wasn't able to cope with them near me and got scared. But I'm glad somebody else asked as I wondered what it was.

Hanji the Sants and Gurmukhs are pure, thus they would not go through that. Thank you ji for explaining it.

Hanji paji Harsharan ji I used to feel bit of it when I first started doing simran, I thought the same as you said that am I a bad person, is my atma possessed with something? I used to not want to do simran as I was so scared of what was happening. But now it makes sense, but is it a cleaning process of the atma or what? Because when it was happening more to others I wasn't able to cope with them near me and got scared.

Hanji the Sants and Gurmukhs are pure, thus they would not go through that. Thank you ji got explaining it.

Simran Jee,

let us clear some points which are widely misunderstood. Soul or atma, can never be bad, as they are the essence of Wahiguru, be whichsoever soul it may be, the souls are always good.

Just as if a pure drop of rain fals in the ground, it becomes mud with its association with the dirt, in a similar way, the soul with its association with mind, karmas, vasanaas, vikaars, becomes enchained by all these dacoits, and forgtes its true Origin, beleiving to be part and parcel of mayavee creation.

But then, Gurmukhs, Guru Sahibans come to our level under His Hukum, to make us aware of our true spiritual nature, that we are royal princes, children of the Royal Sachay Patsah Wahiguru Akal Purukh, and these Gurmukhs , with the power of Naam and Shabad, remove away all our dirt, make us pure, make us paviter, just as they themselves are , hold us by our arm, and hand us back safely to Wahiguru.

So, the soul is always pure, it is the coverings on it which are responsible for its wrecked and pitiful state. A golden ring can fall in the gutter, not because of this its value has diminished, it just needs to be washed off, that is it.

Such is the beant wadeeayee, of Wahiguru, His Naam, and His Gurmukhs.

ਗੁਰਸਿਖਾਂ ਕੀ ਹਰਿ ਧੂੜਿ ਦੇਹਿ ਹਮ ਪਾਪੀ ਭੀ ਗਤਿ ਪਾਂਹਿ

Gurasikhaan Kee Har Dhhoorr Dhaehi Ham Paapee Bhee Gath Paanhi|

गुरसिखां की हरि धूड़ि देहि हम पापी भी गति पांहि

I am a sinner, O Lord bless me with the dust of the Feet of Gurmukhs, so that I can attain salvation

Sat Sree Akal.