Mere Exposure/exposure Effect

Big_Tera

The mere exposure effect, also known as the familiarity principle, states that the more we are exposed to something, the more we come to like it. This applies equally to both objects and people (Miller, 2006).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mere-exposure_effect

We should be careful who we associate with. This goes for girls spending to much time in the company of males and building a romantic connection. It can also go for any situation where the more we are exposed to something good or bad the more we tend to accept and like it. Even if it is bad.

We should all be aware of the Mere exposure affect.

The mere exposure effect, also known as the familiarity principle, states that the more we are exposed to something, the more we come to like it. This applies equally to both objects and people (Miller, 2006).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mere-exposure_effect

We should be careful who we associate with. This goes for girls spending to much time in the company of males and building a romantic connection. It can also go for any situation where the more we are exposed to something good or bad the more we tend to accept and like it. Even if it is bad.

We should all be aware of the Mere exposure affect.

Haven't you guys been paying attention to Guru ji , that why we are supposed to sing kirtan and Akal Purakh de gunn :biggrin2:

Haven't you guys been paying attention to Guru ji , that why we are supposed to sing kirtan and Akal Purakh de gunn :biggrin2:

Gurbani heavily stresses the need for good company. This is one primal example of the why cutting yourself off from the world is a massively negative in terms of the ultimate goal. This is Also one of the most unique things about the Anand Karaj, It's providing constant Sangat to further instill goodness in each other.

The psychology Guru Sahib has instructed us to follow is truly marvelous.

All Good points. However, if I was to try to stand outside ourselves, I would also say we have a tendency to apply the "sangat" principle in ways it was not intended.

We can be exclusive (the caste/status background does not help), and judgmental of others. We may even do "seva" showing love and acceptance of others. However, sometimes that seva becomes and us and them transaction. We can slip into being a politer version of bible thumpers seeking salvation under the banner of 'sangat'. We let ourselves slip from seva into the right to assume the "giver" status in the transaction.

Our background is of societies that were extremely racist/caste/status oriented. We have to constantly work at losing that. We use "good sangat" to cleave our humanity as different from those who struggle or have struggled. This limits our understanding of the world around us.

At times we seem like a self-congratulatory love fest of punjabi origin browns. We talk about leaders in India. Look at "sikh" leaders in the west. We as "sangat" align ourselves to their potential status and support them and, with the exception of a few, they are hollow businessmen posing as sikhs. Together we are the proud "sangat". In reality it is tribal positioning and politics.

We forget that sangat is under the banner of sikh identity not race and tribe. We also forget that not escaping to the mountains also means, not identifying socially only with our geo-race brethren.

when I was younger I did not have blessing of sangat in my neighbourhood yet, whenever I started a new job or study place I would meet with people who were interested in doing bhagti and guftagoo from other backgrounds and together we strove on our respective paths . Later on, I actually read Gurbani which made me realise what was happening , no matter where we are in our lives Waheguru gives us a chance to thrive in sangat of true seekers i.e. sikhs it is the label of 'religion' that makes us fall into the trap of predjudice, it is the karni of the folk and their ethics, their love for Akal Purakh, their true acceptance of humanity. It is true the number of adharmi lok are posted in responsible places within our learning centres, places of worship is shameful . Guru ji made us citizens of the universe not just where we were born ... and because of that we have to spread the love and knowledge to accompany the journey to mission goal

The mere exposure affect should be taken seriously because it means when we hang around someone for a long time. Be that person good or bad we become attached to them in some strong way.

Thats why we should chose our company very wisely. Many girls become attached to drug dealers, criminals ect. Not because they are special.. its the mere fact that they have spent so much time with them that they have created the familiarity mere effect which creates a strong attachment.

Thats why many girls dont know why they are so strongly attached to someone .they dont know its a big part to do with the mere exposure effect.

The mere exposure affect should be taken seriously because it means when we hang around someone for a long time. Be that person good or bad we become attached to them in some strong way.

Thats why we should chose our company very wisely. Many girls become attached to drug dealers, criminals ect. Not because they are special.. its the mere fact that they have spent so much time with them that they have created the familiarity mere effect which creates a strong attachment.

Thats why many girls dont know why they are so strongly attached to someone .they dont know its a big part to do with the mere exposure effect.

The first sangat we have is the family ...and that's why family life needs to be supported in gurmat living , educate the parents and the kids . Many people live in mentally abusive families who normalise alcohol, physical abuse and belittling of females if we change this to gursikh ideals then girls would learn their own worth, and their contribution to society removing the self-doubt/hatred which the sharks can sniff out

The first sangat we have is the family ...and that's why family life needs to be supported in gurmat living , educate the parents and the kids . Many people live in mentally abusive families who normalise alcohol, physical abuse and belittling of females if we change this to gursikh ideals then girls would learn their own worth, and their contribution to society removing the self-doubt/hatred which the sharks can sniff out

What I don't get about that is that sulliyan more often than not grow up in an environment that is infinitely more belittling or condescending or even oppressive towards females, yet they rarely have half the complaints that apneean do, why is this?

I don't think we should eliminate ego on part of apneean (or apnay for that matter) when they do stupid stuff. Just continually pointing at familial failings doesn't explain a lot of what I've seen. As well as the insecure, sullay also target the polar opposite: those jumped up sisters who might be a little pretty and have grown up spoilt, and curiously feel nothing they do is wrong and have contempt for their own menfolk. You know the type.