Questions About Ardaas

Guest samsinghk

Guest samsinghk

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

The standard practice at every gurudwara sahib is when congregation is happening only one thing is supposed to be done at one time. Either reciting bani from guru granth sahib or kirtan or ardaas at a time. Usually guru granth sahib ji is covered with rumala sahib during ardaas or while the kirtan is going on. Guru granth sahib ji is only uncovered for reading hukumnama or for doing sahej path or doing akahand path. This is what my basic understanding is. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I have the following questions:

1. While someone is reciting bani from guru granth sahib ji for the sangat or if someone is reading guru granth sahib ji for his/her personal reading, can I do my personal ardaas for myself at the same time?

2. If I need to do my own personal ardaas, do I have to wait until reciting from guru granth sahib ji is over and guru granth sahib ji is covered with rumala sahib?

The reason why I am asking is because most of the times if i visit gurughar, most of the times people are reading bani either for the sangat or for their personal readings.

I just want to avoid any beadbi.

Could anyone please guide me to the right way.

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa Waheguru ji ki Fateh

SamSingh ji Guruji are all knowing, they will know your ardas before you even do it, but it's good you have the respect, Satkar for them, good question.

Take a look at previous posts of Ardas:

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?/topic/58611-ardas/

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?/topic/74785-what-to-say-in-ardaas/

Some do Ardas on entering Darbar Sahib ji, in front of Maharaj Ji.

http://youtu.be/wmWS3SWd5jk

Guest samsinghk

Thank you for the information. It is indeed very valuable.

However, if someone can answer the questions that I have specifically asked, i would be very much thankful to you and would really appreciate it.

My opinion is :

1. Yes why not? You are also part of the sangat, so you too are receiving the fruits of Gurbani.

2. Like said in the posts above, one can do personal Ardas anytime. As one of the videos show some do on entering Darbar Sahib ji. If you can wait until the end then you can listen to the Ardas done by the Granthi which includes the whole sangat. If not, as people sometimes are not able to stay until the end or attend as much as time they can, then they do their own personal ardas if you are doing it silently so as not to disturb the sangat either.

Thank you for the information.

I personally prefer not to do personal ardaas when there is existing ardaas by granthi sahib going on or when there is hukumnama being read.

I am just wondering that if it is correct for me to do my personal ardaas while someone is reading guru granth sahib ji silently or loudly for the sangat. Is it acceptable to guru granth sahib ji? I know its hard to answer this question. But i just want to avoid any kind of beadbi and would like to discipline myself to ensure I do the right thing.

I personally think that when guru granth sahib ji is covered with rumala sahib then it is appropriate for anyone to do ardaas. As everyone knows that when ardaas is done by granthi sahib for the congregation, at that point of time, guru granth sahib is covered with rumala sahib. Then howcome or why (why as an exception) someone can do personal ardaas while guru granth sahib ji is being read by someone. Is it appropriate?

Can I ask you SamSingh ji where have you read this or been told by somebody?

Also if you feel it is not right to do as you say, then go with what your soul feels. As Bhai Jugraj Singh has said in the video it is wrong for somebody to tell somebody how to do a personal Ardas, so I am in no position to tell you how or when to do it ji. I can only do as my soul allows me to do my own personal Ardas. Sorryji if that doesn't answer your question.

You are right it is hard to answer this as somebody would be afraid of giving the wrong answer. But maybe you could ask a Granthi at the Gurdwara ?

Its my personal opinion that when ardaas is happening for the congregation or when hukumnama is being read, the people in the sangat should concentrate on on listening to ardaas/hukumnama in order to give utmost respect to sri guru granth sahib ji.

I have thought of asking these questions about doing personal ardaas from granthi sahib at gurughar and will ask him once i visit gurudwara sahib.

Its good to get ideas/advice/suggestions from experienced people in the forum(as well as online)l that's why i have posted the questions in this thread.

My soul says that I should do ardaas when guru maharaj is covered with rumala sahib (like the same as when ardaas is done by granthi sahib when guru sahib is covered) however most of the times when i visit gurughar I see someone reading from guru granth sahib ji. That's why I was trying to ask all these questions

Guruji is antarjami. Do ardaas whenever. Also when problems of ettiquette arise like respect or manners. Sikhs should have utmost respect but should be able to rise above nitty gritty details.so u feel u shud do ardaas when rumala sahib is covering and no is reading. Fantastic. U shud do utmost to follow this as it seems respectful to u. However when u go to gurudwara, always someone is reading. So there is a dilemma. In such a case decide which is worse. U keep waiting for ppl to stop reading,u get impatient n maybe mad or anxious. In the end u have to leave n u didnt get a chance to do ardaas. U leave very sad. U leave without having a chance to talk to ur guru. U leave unfulfilled. Is this right? Should a sikh ever leave the greatest gurus house feeling sad or unfulfilled? Nobody is supposed to leave guru jis house sad and yet unr a sikh....

On the other hand...u go to gurudwara n u see someone is reading so u decide i have to go in 30 mins. If someone is still reading when 20 mins have passed. I will do ardaas anyway but i will wait 20 mins now. I can wash dishes while i wait. U come back 20 mins later n someone else is reading. So u begin ardaas with an apology. Guruji please forgive me i could not wait. If i have done beadbi please forgive as i am ur child n tried to wait. Then do ur personal ardaas. Do u think guruji will not forgive u? He who is the greatest forgiver the most merciful? He who asks for faith sharda n love not empty rituals? He who did not bat an eye when in his sixth form an old lady asked him to her house n gave him roti to eat with sharda and prem and she kept saying you are the paapi and i am bakshanhaar. To guruji she said this n guru ji kept eating his roti enjoyably. The sikhs could not soo themselves and told her to stop spouting nonsense ...but guru ji stopped the sikhs n said it is ok. Even her twisted words are acceptable to me....so when faced with a minor etiquette dilemma dont let a small detail keep u from connecting to ur guru.askfor forgiveness and all will be right