Questions About Ardaas

Guest samsinghk

When we do our personal ardaas in front of guru granth sahib ji, does it have to be same like the regular full ardaas (just like the one which granthi sahib recites) or do we can just do a quick ardaas benti without reciting the full ardaas? Will it makes any difference?

Personal Ardas is between you and Maharaj Ji. When one does a personal Ardas, it is asking Waheguru to listen to their benti (request). An Ardas is a request, not a demand for something, so one should do with utmost respect and with love and devotion. Although as said before Guruji are antarjami (all knowing), so what you can manage and feel comfortable with.

The full Ardas that granthi Ji does is very good if you can manage it, but rather than making it a ritual, try from your soul, a short personal Ardas with the above qualities will also be heard by them.

VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Personal ardaas goes on all of the time in Gurdwaras. From the Sikh who made degh and is standing doing ardaas, to whoever brings in langar for bhog (busy, larger Gurdwaras do not always wait for final Ardaas at bhog as langar and degh is continuous) to the sangat which visits and stands there for a little longer before matha tek and then sits down.

1. While someone is reciting bani from guru granth sahib ji for the sangat or if someone is reading guru granth sahib ji for his/her personal reading, can I do my personal ardaas for myself at the same time? - Yes, you can silently go to where you matka tek, stand (probably best to the side so others can matha tek) and silently do your Ardaas.

2. If I need to do my own personal ardaas, do I have to wait until reciting from guru granth sahib ji is over and guru granth sahib ji is covered with rumala sahib? No wait needed.

The reason why I am asking is because most of the times if i visit gurughar, most of the times people are reading bani either for the sangat or for their personal readings.

I just want to avoid any beadbi.

Could anyone please guide me to the right way.

Beadbi with "doing two things at the same time" mean doing two Sangati activities or activities that interfere with each other - Keertan and Katha, Akhand Paath Sahib and Keertan etc. The Sangat should be ideally focused on one program at a time (though this does not necessarily apply with Gurudwaras that have multiple halls, as they separate the Sangat to where only one divan is being held separate from another in another hall). You doing a personal ardaas silently will not interfere with any program or divan.

• 3 months later...

Personally I would not perform Ardas when a Hukamnama is being read, this is the time when everyone in the Sangat should be saavdhaan, focus on the hukam and silent. Where I attend, majority of Sangat outside the Darbar do not enter during Hukamnama reading or Sangati Ardas until completion - so not to disturb the Sangat. Ardas at all other times already mentioned seem fine.