Whats Wrong With Punjab Roads! So Many Accidents!

shastarSingh

Punjab's new roads may look nice but the fact they were/are built by children and mothers with babies on their backs digging up the road with their hands means they are nothing to be proud of.

As for the shocking death rates on these roads.....nothing will change for the better untill and unless Punjab becomes civilised. A people are only ever a refelction of their rulers. When the rulers / lawmakers are corrupt the people who's job it is to enforce the law are also naturally corrupt. When the law enforcers are corrupt the public will also naturally be corrupt. This corruption encroaches on moral corruptness and bankruptcy and creates a society where human life, and with it human safety, is not valued as highly as it should be. Our Gurus taught us this and especially the concept of clean nature and environment tranquility espoused by Guru Har Rai ji. We Sikhs have forgetten his message, or at least pretend to ignore his message, while other groups have taken his message, use it as their own, and are getting millions of converts from Sikhism on the back of it.

Ask anyone who has ever stepped foot inside the Radhaswami dera what was so good about it and the first thing they tell you is that its so clean, environment-friendly, nature friendly, quiet, peaceful, efficient, organised, where traffic rules and laws are obeyed and accidents never happen. These are our Sikh concepts these radhaswamis have taken and created a cean accident free environment from. Its time we took our concepts back and use them for the benfit of all Punjab:

dera_3.jpg

Punjab's new roads may look nice but the fact they were/are built by children and mothers with babies on their backs digging up the road with their hands means they are nothing to be proud of.

As for the shocking death rates on these roads.....nothing will change for the better untill and unless Punjab becomes civilised. A people are only ever a refelction of their rulers. When the rulers / lawmakers are corrupt the people who's job it is to enforce the law are also naturally corrupt. When the law enforcers are corrupt the public will also naturally be corrupt. This corruption encroaches on moral corruptness and bankruptcy and creates a society where human life, and with it human safety, is not valued as highly as it should be. Our Gurus taught us this and especially the concept of clean nature and environment tranquility espoused by Guru Har Rai ji. We Sikhs have forgetten his message, or at least pretend to ignore his message, while other groups have taken his message, use it as their own, and are getting millions of converts from Sikhism on the back of it.

Ask anyone who has ever stepped foot inside the Radhaswami dera what was so good about it and the first thing they tell you is that its so clean, environment-friendly, nature friendly, quiet, peaceful, efficient, organised, where traffic rules and laws are obeyed and accidents never happen. These are our Sikh concepts these radhaswamis have taken and created a cean accident free environment from. Its time we took our concepts back and use them for the benfit of all Punjab:

dera_3.jpg

The Dera is also one giant gated community. They won't just let anyone in.

The Dera is also one giant gated community. They won't just let anyone in.

That's a valid point for the dera analogy. However, Jagsaw's point is an excellent one. Sikhi to me has always seemed to be a teaching with the utmost etiquette, courtesy and valor. The gifts we have in terms of teachings are the most amazing tools.

It is very sad when we walk into so many gurudwara's around the world, despite a crazy amount of money, the property is littered and random piles of unsightly things are "stored" in a forever state. The langar hall or washrooms are often lacking in attention. One can do seva, but there is a gravitational pull in our mindsets to bring things back to a state of chaos. What we know is comfortable I suppose. This is not for lack of money at all. Often the darbar halls are kept well.

Similar things happen with driving in high density punjabi populations in the west. The roads are kept up. However, there are a higher proportion of accidents due to gross negligence in failure to upkeep vehicles or aggressive driving.

Once we choose Sikhi, we choose to be born into poetry. I take heart in Jagsaws very well spoken perspective. I am not much into Sikhs being on magazine covers, but if that's what it takes for the rest of us to realize who we are, kudos to them. Lets ensure our mind, body, and environment reflect the poetry we purport to choose.

--Not even sure how i "liked" the post. It was by mistake as I don't even know how to do that. I admire so many views on ss. All of those that come through with wisdom and so many that speak with brutal honesty; those that share their experiences, but in doing so assist many other. I'm culturally inept with the "like" post concept. So apologies for not conveying that.

That's a valid point for the dera analogy. However, Jagsaw's point is an excellent one. Sikhi to me has always seemed to be a teaching with the utmost etiquette, courtesy and valor. The gifts we have in terms of teachings are the most amazing tools.

It is very sad when we walk into so many gurudwara's around the world, despite a crazy amount of money, the property is littered and random piles of unsightly things are "stored" in a forever state. The langar hall or washrooms are often lacking in attention. One can do seva, but there is a gravitational pull in our mindsets to bring things back to a state of chaos. What we know is comfortable I suppose. This is not for lack of money at all. Often the darbar halls are kept well.

Similar things happen with driving in high density punjabi populations in the west. The roads are kept up. However, there are a higher proportion of accidents due to gross negligence in failure to upkeep vehicles or aggressive driving.

Once we choose Sikhi, we choose to be born into poetry. I take heart in Jagsaws very well spoken perspective. I am not much into Sikhs being on magazine covers, but if that's what it takes for the rest of us to realize who we are, kudos to them. Lets ensure our mind, body, and environment reflect the poetry we purport to choose.

--Not even sure how i "liked" the post. It was by mistake as I don't even know how to do that. I admire so many views on ss. All of those that come through with wisdom and so many that speak with brutal honesty; those that share their experiences, but in doing so assist many other. I'm culturally inept with the "like" post concept. So apologies for not conveying that.

I take your point. If you go a couple of miles down the road to Baba Bakala you will great improvements made.

The Dera caters to a Western audience which is why it is very clean and orderly.

I have also wondered why roads are so chaotic in the subcontinent as well as Punjabi areas in the west.

I have come to the realisation is lack of civic pride. With white western and even some far eastern countries there is a sense of order and discipline and collective ness.

Punjabi culture which part of subcontinental culture is one which is built on individuality, chaos and pure indifference.

To change things, you need lay down the law very heavily and ensure none of the usual corruption takes place. You cannot get things done there unless there is a big danda hovering over your head.