‘My Children Don’T Want To Add Singh To Names’

singhbj singh

Plus, given that you are in the UK, Sikhs themselves fought for some weird racial definition of themselves in the courts here, I'm sure you know this. Jews and Sikhs have some weird ethno-religio categorisation here. By that definition (which I might not necessarily agree with), even the most skanky, nonpractising Sikh is still a Sikh.

What you mean "might not necessarily agree with" ?

The fact that you keep calling the fact that Sikhs are a distinct race "weird" leaves nobody in any doubt as to where you stand. You've hardly left it a mystery dallysingh. :biggrin2:

Anyway, back to the actual topic of the thread.....and I don't think many of you have even figured out what it is yet......Sikhs need to change the focus of this campaign. It shouldn't be about Sikh children losing self-esteem because of Skh jokes. Our emphasis should be about reminding Indian Hindus that they are a whole generation behind the rest of the civilised world in terms of realising how racist stereotype 'jokes' are the mark of a backward uncivilised people. They need to be reminded how the Americans, up until the 1970's, did exactly the same thing with exactly the same 'jokes' about Polaks (Polish-Americans) and the British, up until the 1970's, did exactly the same thing with exactly the same 'jokes' about the Irish. Both however, matured enough intellectually to realise that such 'jokes' were not only not funny...not only hurtful to those on the receiving end....but actually extremely harmful to society as a whole where children grow up thinking such racist remarks are perfectly OK.

Our emphasis therefore, should be on reminding the Indian Hindus that they are uncivilised barbarians compared to the civilised world and if they wish to join the civilised world they need to re-think what civilised behaviour is.

The fact that you keep calling the fact that Sikhs are a distinct race "weird" leaves nobody in any doubt as to where you stand. You've hardly left it a mystery dallysingh. :biggrin2:

We are made up of all types of races. That's why the definition is weird.

Okay, I understand that the definition arises from political moves made by apnay in the 70s/80s in Britain, that they felt would be to their benefit. If we are talking from a purely utilitarian perspective I get it.

I even get that if we are talking about historical processes - that those who've descended from the Sikh movement can be technically categorised by their historical antecedents in this way regardless of their practice of the faith. But this is where the contention lies - plenty of people would say no, those people who are essentially secularists who do not remotely practice the faith aren't Sikhs - even if they've descended from them. Who is right?

And if we are talking racially (which I don't think is a good idea), would it not be infinitely more accurate to classify Sikhs as majority Panjabi with a smaller number of Sikhs who aren't from this background i.e. Afghans.

People leaving Sikhi altogether are not a problem in this scenario. Non-keshdhari's who have a deep respect and will say kesh are necessary are not a problem in this scenario. The problem lies with a large number of non-keshdharis willing to shout from the rooftops that kesh are unnecessary for Sikhi. They are directly attacking Sikhi causing greater harm than any external enemy.

I think you're twisting things up here (probably out of ignorance rather than malice):

All I've said (ad-nauseam now), is that the Sikh community has always been a mixture of monay/sehadhari and Amritdharis. There is a LOT of evidence for this going back a LONG time, some of which I posted. This is not saying that kesh is not a necessity for Amritdharis or kesh is unimportant to Sikhi; or in anyway telling people to cut their kesh.

You need to grasp that, I honestly don't get why it is so difficult for you?

The Sikh community has been and always will be a diverse bunch. End of story.

If anyone is 'redefining' the Sikh community, it's people who deny the above truth.

Lets not base our views on what goray have written about us in history or anyone else for that matter. Our views should be our gurus views full stop.

Yeah, but we also really need to understand the nature of our society in the past to learn lessons from it. Problem with way too many apnay is that they have this tendency to whitewash history to fit their own (often erroneous) misconceptions.

I wouldn't discount any historical information as long as we apply a honest critical eye on it. It can be invaluable. If we don't study our history we wont learn about what we did right, and what we did wrong or how our ancestors dealt with the complex social, cultural and political changes around them, (including ones involving Sikh identity in a dynamic and rapidly changing environment) to draw lessons from.

I mean even today's SRM is based on a study of older, surviving rehat-namas and a particular interpretation of them for example.