Basics For A Non-Sikh?

frank4570

Hi, I am a non-sikh but I have been looking into the belief system as I already believe many of the things taught in this religion. I meditate, I'm grateful, I help those who need help, I try to protect people from injustice, I try to share what I have, I protect my environment. I would like to know of there is a book or something that has all of the basics in one place already translated to english. I try to be a good leader of my family and I'm sure the sikh teachings would be good for all of us. It would be great if there is something that tells a little about each guru, and explains what he taught and why.

Thanks for the help.

Hi, I am a non-sikh but I have been looking into the belief system as I already believe many of the things taught in this religion. I meditate, I'm grateful, I help those who need help, I try to protect people from injustice, I try to share what I have, I protect my environment. I would like to know of there is a book or something that has all of the basics in one place already translated to english. I try to be a good leader of my family and I'm sure the sikh teachings would be good for all of us. It would be great if there is something that tells a little about each guru, and explains what he taught and why.

Thanks for the help.

Being a Sikh in my eyes, involves constant learning. There are loads of resources out there, especially on the net but ultimately (on top of your meditation or simran as we call it) you''ll need to make the effort to learn to read and experience Gurbani in its native form. Translations help, but there is something about reading the originals and experiencing its rhythms and its effects on you spiritually and psychologically that can't be replaced.

Sikhi isn't like other Abrahamic faiths in that is isn't made up of explicit outright commandments although we do have rehats or 'codes of conducts' to help govern behaviour.

In terms of reading, I'd suggest reading a wide range of literature on it and finding the truth inbetween all these accounts whilst appreciating the personal contexts of the writers and the historical period the works were written in. I've been doing this for a fair few decades now and I still learn new stuff all the time. Like I said before, it's an ongoing endeavour.

Thanks for the help.

Hello check out 'Basics of Sikhi' youtube channel, they have everything your looking for

Basics - Short videos: