Can Sarbat Khalsa Mandate Apply On Entire Panth In Reality?

SeekerKaur

I am new here as a member but have been a silent reader for a long time.

Had some questions so decided to register and discuss here.

I want to know - can our institutions ever work the way we envision them?

Can all Sikhs unite as Panth and accept decisions?

Can all Sikhs accept Akal Takht hukamnamas?

We have restrictions of different states,countries, different laws. Can entire Sikh community accept all decisions of Akal Takht, Sarbat Khalsa?

Can Sarbat Khalsa ever successfully represent aspirations of all Sikhs?

Immediately after this year's Sarbat Khalsa, Sikhs from states like Rajasthan, Haryana, UP started announcing that they did not support all resolutions of Sarbat Khalsa. They said they only wanted Akal Takht to be free from Badal influence. They either criticised decisions to appoint Hawara as Jathedar, commitment to resolutions of Sarbat Khalsa 1986 or chose not to comment at all.

Some Sikhs in Punjab and diaspora also spoke against Sarbat Khalsa.

So are our institutions workable as we envision them? Will Sikhs accept decisions? Or will their personal opinions or geographical, ideological and other limitations always prevent resolutions and hukamnamas from being supported?

Before someone starts talking about Khalistan, let me clarify that this problem would have arisen even if we had Khalistan. What about Sikhs who were living outside Khalistan? Would they have been able to accept all decisions?

Please discuss and share your viewpoints. I find it all confusing seeing Sikhs scattered in various parts of the world and all having different POVs.

Guest Jacfsing2

I am new here as a member but have been a silent reader for a long time.

Had some questions so decided to register and discuss here.

I want to know - can our institutions ever work the way we envision them?

Can all Sikhs unite as Panth and accept decisions?

Can all Sikhs accept Akal Takht hukamnamas?

We have restrictions of different states,countries, different laws. Can entire Sikh community accept all decisions of Akal Takht, Sarbat Khalsa?

Can Sarbat Khalsa ever successfully represent aspirations of all Sikhs? (Only the Khalsa who were blessed with Amrit are able to attend the Sarbat Khalsa, so it is possible that some people who aren't Amritdhari will be jealous and will disagree with their decisions).

Immediately after this year's Sarbat Khalsa, Sikhs from states like Rajasthan, Haryana, UP started announcing that they did not support all resolutions of Sarbat Khalsa. They said they only wanted Akal Takht to be free from Badal influence. They either criticised decisions to appoint Hawara as Jathedar, commitment to resolutions of Sarbat Khalsa 1986 or chose not to comment at all.

Some Sikhs in Punjab and diaspora also spoke against Sarbat Khalsa.

So are our institutions workable as we envision them? (Yes; however, at the current time our institutions are divided into Khalsa or Badal, current situations must be recognized) Will Sikhs accept decisions? (Most will; however, it'll be hard for each person claiming to be part of a group to agree) Or will their personal opinions or geographical, ideological and other limitations always prevent resolutions and hukamnamas from being supported? (That's a personal question)

Before someone starts talking about Khalistan, let me clarify that this problem would have arisen even if we had Khalistan. What about Sikhs who were living outside Khalistan? (Khalistan doesn't exist as an independent country at the current time so this question can't be answered, nor has anyone decided the amount of land Khalistan would contain). Would they have been able to accept all decisions? (Yes, in the same way the Punj Pyare accepted Guru Sahib despite 4 of them not from Punjab and Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji wasn't even born in Punjab)

Please discuss and share your viewpoints. I find it all confusing seeing Sikhs scattered in various parts of the world and all having different POVs.

This is possible that we can accept each of their decisions, I'll respond through the quotes to your questions directly. (In parentheses) I hope I answered your questions.

@Jacfsingh

Thanks for the reply.

While I agree all decisions cannot be accepted by all, still I don't agree with all your responses.

You said those Sikhs who are not Amritdhari will not agree. That is not entirely true.

There were Amritdhari Sikhs from other states who later dissociated from Sarbat Khalsa resolutions.

Evident that they did it for security concerns and reaffirmed their loyalty to Indian state for sake of safety.

These are the concerns I sought to discuss. Will Sikhs ever be able to accept all decisions given they are located in different places under different kinds of laws?

Example of Panj Pyare in Guru Gobind Singh ji's time is different. Infact if I am not mistaken, not everybody followed what Guru ji proclaimed then.

This is why I am asking how does Panthic unity get achieved? And if Sarbat Khalsa and its decisions are not accepted by Amritdharis due to location, laws and other compulsions then what to do?

You talked about only Amritdharis. So does it mean non Amritdharis have nothing to do with Sarbat Khalsa or decisions of Panth do not apply on them?

Guest Jacfsing2

@Jacfsingh

Thanks for the reply.

While I agree all decisions cannot be accepted by all, still I don't agree with all your responses.

You said those Sikhs who are not Amritdhari will not agree. That is not entirely true.

There were Amritdhari Sikhs from other states who later dissociated from Sarbat Khalsa resolutions.

Evident that they did it for security concerns and reaffirmed their loyalty to Indian state for sake of safety.

These are the concerns I sought to discuss. Will Sikhs ever be able to accept all decisions given they are located in different places under different kinds of laws?

Example of Panj Pyare in Guru Gobind Singh ji's time is different. Infact if I am not mistaken, not everybody followed what Guru ji proclaimed then.

This is why I am asking how does Panthic unity get achieved? And if Sarbat Khalsa and its decisions are not accepted by Amritdharis due to location, laws and other compulsions then what to do?

You talked about only Amritdharis. So does it mean non Amritdharis have nothing to do with Sarbat Khalsa or decisions of Panth do not apply on them?

All I meant was non-Amritdharis really can't be in the Sarbat Khalsa. People have always disagreed with Guru Sahib; however, they admitted to not being Sikh. Laws should be followed as long as they aren't being tyrannical. This issue is dependent on each individual person, (Sikh and Non-Sikhs) to agree with the Sarbat Khalsa.