Chennai - Sikhs Distributing Langar

simran345

You will hardly see Indian media cover this. Though they go bonkers when they have to call Sikhs radicals or violent.

I am proud of Sikhs doing seva but it is heartbreaking that Sikhs still do not get respect and clearly no hope for justice or their rights either.

Sometimes it does irritate...are we just there to do seva? Why should our people serve these thankless people? I heard Sikhs also went out of their way to rescue people stuck in floods.

Should we really do that? I wonder because others just don't bother about us, nobody helps us or even pays heed to our issues, nobody shows solidarity and this South Indian media is even worse and more biased against Sikhs than rest of Indian media. (Read their publications like The Hindu, Frontline etc to see how they either ignore us or write trash on us).

Sikhs are following principles of Sarbat da bhala, serving humanity, helping the weak etc but what about us and our dignity?

I will be frank enough to admit that I do not exactly like how those people easily come spreading their hands in front of a Sikh but none actually cares about us.

Some of them even do not like it if some website reports on Sikhs and say what's the big deal about it? Or say Sikhs did it for publicity or Sikhs just did their duty and there's no need to appreciate them. They either feel jealous or take us for granted or make every effort to ignore us.

So why do we go out of our way for their ilk?

I am proud of Sikh brethren for their efforts. But they should know the ones at receiving end don't care much. So better to regularly make efforts to help and strengthen own ilk than go out of the way for others (who are thankless and don't exactly help you when you need it! And they never helped either in past when Sikhs needed it the most!)

I am not against seva but just saying Sikhs should not get over zealous in going all out to help others (most of them who don't even care).

Penji SeekhKaur, yes we should, as there are many innocent people that need help. And as Sikhs we should help those that need it, regardless of colour, religion, social status. This is what the Gurus did, and what inspires Sikhs to do.

Help those in bad times, following a spiritual path and not a political one.

I agree Indian media does not pick up on Sikhs goodness. But the rest of the world does, and now there is Internet and social media, so the word gets spread across faster. The people from the backgrounds that are being helped will see this and respect Sikhs for this.

There are many that are grateful for the help. And God will be happy, as Sikhs are not doing it for media, but humanity.

It's true though after many years of helping Indians , they do not give a dam about Sikhs.Never heard any mass outcry about the 1984 genocide from Indians, in fact they voted in Rajiv Gandhi with the highest majority ever after the 84 massacre. Did not hear much about Sikhs helping the 84 victims, many of which are in dire poverty as Indians do not like this happening.

@simran345

We do not do seva for media coverage but the bias of media does hurt. They report even lies about Sikhs when they have to call Sikhs criminals. They have never even issued apology for fake reports even after being exposed.

So their attitude does hurt.

Same for attitude of those other communities that keep accepting seva from Sikhs but never did anything to help Sikhs or support them for justice.

God will be happy. I hope. I hope He blesses Sikh community.