Should Kids Touch Parents Knees

Guest Wonderer

Guest Jacfsing2

Should I teach my kids to do so as a habit of respect for us as parents

I would say as long as it's not a Mahta Tekh, it's probably ok, if it's purely the culture of how people respect then I'd say it's not going to effect anyone badly. But what I would recommend is don't force it on your kids one way or another, they could grow-up just doing it because you said so.

Guest Singh23

As long as you do the same for your elders. It's better f they see you doing it as a show of respect. And then one of you tell your kids to touch the other parents feet out of respect. If the kids are bright and respect you they will do it.

But tbh I don't see many parents making their kids do that. It's better if you make them touch their grandparents feet.

I would say as long as it's not a Mahta Tekh, it's probably ok, if it's purely the culture of how people respect then I'd say it's not going to effect anyone badly. But what I would recommend is don't force it on your kids one way or another, they could grow-up just doing it because you said so.

I like this bit, " don't force it on your kids one way or another, they could grow up just doing it because you said so."

They should know why they are doing it, and not merely as a ritual.

I can't remember how I started do it to elders at a young age, when greeting them. None of my family members taught me to, I just did it of my own accord. I don't do it to everybody though only elderly relatives, but they always moved away so I couldn't touch them and they always give blessings by place their hand on head.

As long as I am not touching and worshipping them as God, and do out of respect only. I don't see it as a problem for me. This is because when I go to the Gurdwara, when I bow to Maharaj ji my ego should drop, and Waheguru is the one that blesses us.

ਜਦੋਂ ਕੋਈ ਸਤਿਕਾਰ ਵਿਚ ਆਪਣੇ ਵੱਡੇ-ਵਡੇਰੇ ਦੇ ਪੈਰ ਛੁਹਣ ਵਾਸਤੇ ਝੁਕਦਾ ਹੈ,

ਤਾਂ ਵੱਡੇ-ਵਡੇਰੇ ਦਾ ਹੱਥ ਸੁਭਾਵਕ ਹੀ ਉਸ ਦੇ ਸਿਰ ਤੇ ਅਸ਼ੀਰਵਾਦ ਦੇਣ ਵਾਸਤੇ ਆ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ।

ਇਹੀ ਸੁਭਾਅ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਦਾ ਹੈ।

ਜਦੋਂ ਕੋਈ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜੀ ਦੇ ਪਵਿੱਤਰ ਚਰਨਾਂ ਵਿਚ

ਪਿਆਰ, ਸਤਿਕਾਰ ਤੇ ਨਿਮਰਤਾ ਵਿਚ ਮੱਥਾ ਟੇਕਦਾ ਹੈ ਤਾਂ

ਪਿਆਰ ਦੇ ਸਾਗਰ ਗੁਰੂ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਦਾ ਮਿਹਰਾਂ ਭਰਿਆ ਹੱਥ

ਅੱਗੇ ਵਧ ਕੇ ਉਸਦੇ ਸੀਸ ਤੇ ਆ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ ਤੇ ਮਿਹਰਾਂ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ।

ਬਾਬਾ ਨੰਦ ਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ ਮਹਾਰਾਜ

As one bows reverentially to an old or elderly person to touch his feet or knees,

the hand of the elderly person automatically comes on the head or shoulder of

the youngster to bless him. So is the nature of Sri Guru Nanak Sahib.

As one bows reverentially to pay homage at the holy feet of Eternal Sri Guru Granth Sahib,

the compassionate holy hands of Sri Guru Nanak Sahib similarly move forward

on the head of a true aspirant, believer, devout, faithful and bless him.

Baba Nand Singh Ji

No.

it's not about sikhi but it's a cultural thing. -tradition- outwardly display of respect etc..........I mean if the dil(heart) doesn't mil(meet) directly with anyone, then why show a ritual display?

Some of you guys will insist and say that it is about humility and dropping ego... but if a person's doing that in the line of sikhi and begging the dust of everyone's feet,....then that gurmukh will touch knees of EVERYONE not just their parents.

All rishta's are equal for Sikh and every Sikh is on equal par to the next, and SIkh ONLY bows down and lowers his/her head to Guru, Sri Guru Granth sahib- the maharaj, king of kings, Living Guru.

In my opinion yes. I was listening to katha of suraj parkash by baba hari Singh randhawa and was telling how when guru Ji came back from battle and guru ji did matha tekh to mata Gujar Kaur ji. After he said that touching your parents knees, feet or even doing matha tekh to them is acceptable in sikhi.

Guest Jacfsing2

In my opinion yes. I was listening to katha of suraj parkash by baba hari Singh randhawa and was telling how when guru Ji came back from battle and guru ji did matha tekh to mata Gujar Kaur ji. After he said that touching your parents knees, feet or even doing matha tekh to them is acceptable in sikhi.

The same situation could be said in reverse of the Guru doing Mehta Tekh to their own kids, Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji did Mehta Tekh to Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Sahib Ji on the day he was born, (not his Guruship date).

Well It all depends on one´s thinking.

But in any case, respect and trust are a must in our relations with our parents, was it not of them, we would not have got this precious human birth, and the chance of reuniting ourselves with Wahiguru.

Once I heard/read? from a Gurmukh, that Sant Janas, Gurmukhs, Bhagat Janas, do maatha tek to others, because they see the Jot of Wahiguru in all ...

Sat Sree Akal.

Well It all depends on one´s thinking.

But in any case, respect and trust are a must in our relations with our parents, was it not of them, we would not have got this precious human birth, and the chance of reuniting ourselves with Wahiguru.

Once I heard/read? from a Gurmukh, that Sant Janas, Gurmukhs, Bhagat Janas, do maatha tek to others, because they see the Jot of Wahiguru in all ...

Sat Sree Akal.

Hanji you are right Paji. If it wasn't for our parents and elders we would not be here. They also play a role in bringing us into this world.

Hanji Sants, bhagats, Gurmukhs do, I have seen this, when one touched the knees of other. As Jacfsing2 ji has said above also I have read Sakhis where the Gurus showed this same respect to their parents.