Black People And Sikhs

Sakura

I wanted to know if anyone else has had experiences of racist/funny reactions from blacks. Out of all the ethnicities in London, it is black people I feel I get the funniest looks from when wearing a dastar. I very nearly got into a fight with one once too because he kept looking at me (mind you I kept looking at him too). I have experienced similar looks throughout the years when wearing a dastar or patka from black men and women alike. Once a black woman was properly eyeballing me when I was younger in a patka.

I saw an incident at the Nagar Kirtan after party in Southall once where a black man was being abusive to all the Sikhs. Then I heard from someone I worked with (a Sikh) that a black man randomly attacked him at the Vaisakhi celebrations another year (he bit his face for no reason). Then I remember seeing another black man during the actual day parade another year walking through the crowd like he wanted to beat someone up. Absolute chip on his shoulder. The nerve on this guy (he was surrounded by thousands of Sikhs). And then I remember someone posted something on this forum once about an incident at the Nagar Kirtan up north where a man aggressively drove through the crowd and hit or nearly hit someone with his car. Again, he turned out to be black.

I am the only once who has noticed this or does there seem to be some sort of issue they have against Sikhs? Or is it all in my head?

With all the recent Islamophobic attacks, funnily, a good chunk of them have been from black people. Again, todays news shows two black women beating up a muslim woman in Southwark on a bus. Mind you, all the incidents I have described happened way before the recent wave of Islamophobia.

I don't know what their issues are if there are any (maybe they are jealous on some level) that we have kept our culture/heritage? Or perceive us to be weak targets (religious good boys they can bully or something like that?) I don't know. I'm perplexed.

Yeah. I'm also wandering if it's anything particularly against pugh wale rather than just Indians. Because every now and then I just tie a joora behind my head and don't wear a pugh. I was in fact doing this for a while. I didn't get the sort of looks and feeling from them as I do when I wear a pugh.

I have a theory that some of them are jealous or even intimidated by it in that we have kept this part of our culture but they lost theirs? I don't know. Then even my other theory about being seen as goody two shoe soft targets because of being religious?

There are sadly a lot of mental health issues in the black community, so it may be some random nutters (like with the recent Leytonstone attack) .

Other thing is that with all the demonisation of 'asians' in the mainstream white media it's inevitable that some weak minded people (black and white) will be indoctrinated to see some sort of 'enemy' when they see a brown person who has retained some cultural markers.

Had to pass through Leytonstone the other day. It was weird, people looked sullen and depressed. Staff at the tube station looked nervous too.

One other thing: certain west Indian thinking sort of inculcates a short of violent contempt towards perceived weaklings.

Like I've said before folks, when it gets a bit crazy out there, it tends to make certain people act crazily in public.

Noticed some younger asian boys making sure they got on same tube carriage as me today, they must be aware of the threat out there?

He must not be aware of Rastafarians whom also wear headgear/turbanesque

Ignore them, most are always looking for trouble.

Who's not aware? I am aware of Rastas but they are very few compared to Sikhs especially in the UK. Also, I'm not saying it's purely the turban. I think being Indian with the Turban is what may be setting them off (the ones who get set off).

One other thing: certain west Indian thinking sort of inculcates a short of violent contempt towards perceived weaklings.

Care to expand on this? Could be the one of the reasons. It also makes it racism because they equate an entire race with an attribute and then have contempt as you explain to people who harbour that perceived attribute. The one I confronted was not expecting me to come up to his face. I'm sure he'll think twice next time about giving it large with someone like me.

There are plenty of black converts all over Europe! The one that murdered the young Soldier Rigby, was also a black mad muslimist. There are African muslimists too, from African countries! Why not sort them out first?

Not really relevant to the topic is it. I'm talking about regular West Indians and Africans, British or non British born and the reasons why they may have issues against Sikhs. I highly doubt all the ones if any I'm talking about have been Muslim.

Care to expand on this? Could be the one of the reasons. It also makes it racism because they equate an entire race with an attribute and then have contempt as you explain to people who harbour that perceived attribute. The one I confronted was not expecting me to come up to his face. I'm sure he'll think twice next time about giving it large with someone like me.

I don't think it is racial. They routinely do it to their own.

What you done is what is needed.

We both know that a lot of apnay are complete pajamay; that's the root of the problem in my eyes. Back in the 80s 'asians' had the same problem with a reputation of being complete pu55ys. This made even more people attack them in contempt. That quickly changed when the new generation came up and gave better than they got.