Suggest Baby Name

Navneet0786

Baby names are a difficult but, at the end of the day, a very personal choice between you and your partner. Choose what you both feel comfortable with and NEVER EVER go with what we here say. Its you and your parner who have brought a beautiful child into this world. Its you both who should go with whatever you wish.

All we can do is tell you about is our decisions about our own children and Sikh history with regards to naming their children. From that you should take and discard what you will.

The greatest Sikh of the century (Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale) was named by his parents after a French army rank (after the French language became the lingua franca of the Khalsa Kingdom)

Our 10th master, Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji, named his children after Iranian first names.

Me, and my wife, did not go through any 'picking first letter' ceremony because it is exactly the same ceremony the Hindus have and we didn't want to cary on with Hindu leftover traditions my forefathers carried over with them with their conversion from Hinduism from Sikhism simply because that same Hindu tradition is now done in the name of our living master.

See?

Like I said. Take our experience but, at the end of the day, choose a name both you and your partner are happy with. Thats all that matters.

There is nothing Hindu about this ceremony Jagsaw. Which Hindu uses Bani to name their children? Does Manu write in Manu simriti to use Bani of the Gurus? No way.

The blessed perents who involve Guru Sahib in their Children's lives from the start recieve Kushi and kirpa of Guru Sahib. A Sikh tries to involve Guru Sahib in all events of his life. That is why we take Hukamnama in all our important decision making. This has been our tradition followed by all respected Sikhs since the start.

And lingua franca of the Sikh empire was farsi not french. That is also the language our foreign ministers and generals used to speak to the British and Afghans. Back then Farsi was considered the French of the east. A language of royalty.

There is nothing Hindu about this ceremony Jagsaw. Which Hindu uses Bani to name their children? Does Manu write in Manu simriti to use Bani of the Gurus? No way.

The blessed perents who involve Guru Sahib in their Children's lives from the start recieve Kushi and kirpa of Guru Sahib. A Sikh tries to involve Guru Sahib in all events of his life. That is why we take Hukamnama in all our important decision making. This has been our tradition followed by all respected Sikhs since the start.

And lingua franca of the Sikh empire was farsi not french. That is also the language our foreign ministers and generals used to speak to the British and Afghans. Back then Farsi was considered the French of the east. A language of royalty.

Talk to Gujratis Johnny.

Its an ancient Hindu tradition to have a ceremony to pick a letter for the name of their newborn son.

Notice how I said 'son'. Thats because they, unlike we Sikhs, saw sons as more special than daughters. But...thats neither here nor there. Its about ritual. My great great great grrandfather came with a ritual and rituals to me as a Sikh mean nothng. I, as a Sikh, have no rituals for birth, no rtuals during lfe, no rituals for death.

The 'lingua franca' of War of the Khalsa Kingdom was officially French. The lingua franca of court was Farsi but the official language of War of the Sikhs was French.

And, just in case you're interested, the time of the French in Khalsa Punjab also coincided with the time that the Spanish language took its language shift from the 'g' to the 'r' and the French followed, through language fashion, hence two of the most popular Sikh names of the century 'Jarnail' and 'Karnail'.

Baby names are a difficult but, at the end of the day, a very personal choice between you and your partner. Choose what you both feel comfortable with and NEVER EVER go with what we here say. Its you and your parner who have brought a beautiful child into this world. Its you both who should go with whatever you wish.

All we can do is tell you about is our decisions about our own children and Sikh history with regards to naming their children. From that you should take and discard what you will.

The greatest Sikh of the century (Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale) was named by his parents after a French army rank (after the French language became the lingua franca of the Khalsa Kingdom)

Our 10th master, Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji, named his children after Iranian first names.

Me, and my wife, did not go through any 'picking first letter' ceremony because it is exactly the same ceremony the Hindus have and we didn't want to cary on with Hindu leftover traditions my forefathers carried over with them with their conversion from Hinduism from Sikhism simply because that same Hindu tradition is now done in the name of our living master.

See?

Like I said. Take our experience but, at the end of the day, choose a name both you and your partner are happy with. Thats all that matters.

you are funny sometimes how is taking Guru ji's blessings and getting first akhar from Hukamnama which is advise for that child a Hindu leftover ? ....please realise this is a sikh sanskar which you have missed due to confusion , when you kids have amrit they will have to take their name akkar properly from Guru ji. This is Khalsa sanskar not hindu ..

Jagsaw jee, Hindus do phere around fire should we stop circles around Guru Sahib during Anand Karaj? Hindu Sadhus and rishis of ancient times kept Kesh so should we stop keeping kesh? Hindus call their spiritual teachers as Guru should we stop calling our Guru Sahibaan by this title?

This line of thinking is very detrimental to our Panth. Its also very illogical. If tommorow Hindus start eating Aloo Gobi (which they probably do) should we stop eating aloo gobi too now?

And when you say rituals are bad, we need to define what is a ritual to determine if all things ritual are against Sikhi. When we take Amrit from Panj Pyaras that is a ritual. The way amrit is prepared with each of the pyaras reciting one of the punj banis in turn while stiring the water-patasaa mixture with a Khanda can also be defined as ritual. When we matha tek in front of Guru ji that is a ritual. When we do ishnaan at the amrit sarovar of Sri Harmandhir Sahib that is also a ritual. These rituals are beneficial for our spiritual jeevan since it involves Guru Sahib or has been started by them. While following rituals of aanmat we recieve no spiritual benefit nor Kushi of Guru ji. So a distinction should be made between Sikh and non Sikh rituals and not discard all rituals in the name of Hindu phobia which is akin to throwing the baby along with the bath water.

Jagsaw jee, Hindus do phere around fire should we stop circles around Guru Sahib during Anand Karaj? Hindu Sadhus and rishis of ancient times kept Kesh so should we stop keeping kesh? Hindus call their spiritual teachers as Guru should we stop calling our Guru Sahibaan by this title?

This line of thinking is very detrimental to our Panth. Its also very illogical. If tommorow Hindus start eating Aloo Gobi (which they probably do) should we stop eating aloo gobi too now?

And when you say rituals are bad, we need to define what is a ritual to determine if all things ritual are against Sikhi. When we take Amrit from Panj Pyaras that is a ritual. The way amrit is prepared with each of the pyaras reciting one of the punj banis in turn while stiring the water-patasaa mixture with a Khanda can also be defined as ritual. When we matha tek in front of Guru ji that is a ritual. When we do ishnaan at the amrit sarovar of Sri Harmandhir Sahib that is also a ritual. These rituals are beneficial for our spiritual jeevan since it involves Guru Sahib or has been started by them. While following rituals of aanmat we recieve no spiritual benefit nor Kushi of Guru ji. So a distinction should be made between Sikh and non Sikh rituals and not discard all rituals in the name of Hindu phobia which is akin to throwing the baby along with the bath water.

Johnny, I'm going to ignore JKVlondon as she lacks intellectual substance but I'll start you with this thought:......Our Gurus took us out of the darkness.....Man, has taken us back into it.

Absolutely nothing to do with Hindus. Hindus can do what they want. Hindus have always had their traditions and they always will. Good luck to them. They're as good and bad as me. Nothing to do with me though.

Hindus, just like Sikhs, have some unbeleivably good people amomgst them. Truly wonderfull people. Truly so.

But....that ain't got sh$t to do with shi$t. Its to do with following rituals. If I were to follow my great great great great grandfather's Hindu ritual of choosing a first letter for the name of my son than what's to stop me from going to the Gurdwara and choosing a name for the brand of jacket to buy for my final accountancy exam interview ?

My Guru Ji is wonderfull. My interview at Freshfields is also quite wonderful and life changing. Should I first consult Guru Ji about the colour of the tie I should wear for an interview with a magic circle Law firm before I go ?

My life is no more an empty shell than the tie I put on. My life is simply to be able to have the understanding that Amrit will give me life. Its so simple. The fact that all those before who take amrit and yet still don't understand the true meaning of it is not my problem.

You see......once you become absorbed in rituals you forget about the actual substance. The actual substance of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji tells you everything you need to know about getting lost in rituals and thus, forgetting about actual substance so, I'll refer you back to what I said before:

"The greatest Sikh of the century (Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale) was named by his parents after a French army rank (after the French language became the lingua franca of the Khalsa Kingdom)

Our 10th master, Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji, named his children after Iranian first names."

i.e...a name is just a name. Nothing more.Nothing less. If a nation thinks a name of a child is mega important than that nation will never become an actual nation.

Now....as you see how we Sikhs are the ONE and ONLY major religion on planet earth without a homeland perhaps you can see it is justified because we have become absorbed in rituals rather than actual substance ??????