How Does Sikhi Apply To Punjabi Culture?

Guest Jas

I grew up in a punjabi household, who like most held strong values/respect rooted to Sikhism, but never fully following its teachings.

Like for example my father wears a turban and full beard, volunteers as much as he can at the gurudwara, but still eats meat. My mother prays every morning, listens to religious things all day on the radio, but has never taken Amrit.

I am 24 and spent most of my life doing the Canadian lifestyle. Working, drinking hard on my days off, and forged a huge "I dont care or respect sikhi" attitude.

I would laugh in my moms face if she said "say a little prayer" or something. When I would be at parties drinking and the topic of religion or politics came up for debate, I would always laugh and boast about how there is no god, just to seem cool and edgy. Afterwards I'd feel so stupid and anxious at the things Ive said or made jokes about, because even though I am not a practicing Sikh, as a Punjabi I was always taught to respect the religion as it is rooted in us in a way.

The thing that makes me so disgusted in myself on the flip side is that with all this filth that Ive said, I still always ran back to god to help me when things were going badly in my life. Like a fool worthy of nothing, I'd say "waheguru" a few times to help me get through something.

I really hate what I have become. Rude, obnoxious, disrespectful, attention seeker, procrastinator, and many more can be added to this list. I feel like I need some spirituality, some guidance. I really want to be a good person. Thats all that I want.

Now for my question. As a punjabi, and not practicing sikh, are we even worthy of spirtual acceptance in Sikhism? Are we wasting our time? My father is a good man, who has a strong connection to the faith, but doesnt practice it to the fullest as he eats meat, is he wasting his time?

How does sikhi apply to punjabis? Are we all just wannabes who only fit sikhi into our lives when it is convenient for us? Can we look to it for guidance or should we not even bother?

Thank you and outmost respect to all.

First of all, a sikh is a person who believes in God, the 10 gurus, Guru Granth Sahib and believes in no other religion. And believes in amrit and olans to take it someday. So yes both ur parents are sikhs and getting laha or profit from it.

As for you, idk. It seems like u say u dont believe in god, but in reality do?

I really think you should watch basics of sikhi you tube channel to learn what sikhi is and how it can fit in ur life and improve ur life.

Guest Jacfsing2

I grew up in a punjabi household, who like most held strong values/respect rooted to Sikhism, but never fully following its teachings.

Like for example my father wears a turban and full beard, volunteers as much as he can at the gurudwara, but still eats meat. My mother prays every morning, listens to religious things all day on the radio, but has never taken Amrit.

I am 24 and spent most of my life doing the Canadian lifestyle. Working, drinking hard on my days off, and forged a huge "I dont care or respect sikhi" attitude.

I would laugh in my moms face if she said "say a little prayer" or something. When I would be at parties drinking and the topic of religion or politics came up for debate, I would always laugh and boast about how there is no god, just to seem cool and edgy. Afterwards I'd feel so stupid and anxious at the things Ive said or made jokes about, because even though I am not a practicing Sikh, as a Punjabi I was always taught to respect the religion as it is rooted in us in a way.

The thing that makes me so disgusted in myself on the flip side is that with all this filth that Ive said, I still always ran back to god to help me when things were going badly in my life. Like a fool worthy of nothing, I'd say "waheguru" a few times to help me get through something.

I really hate what I have become. Rude, obnoxious, disrespectful, attention seeker, procrastinator, and many more can be added to this list. I feel like I need some spirituality, some guidance. I really want to be a good person. Thats all that I want.

Now for my question. As a punjabi, and not practicing sikh, are we even worthy of spirtual acceptance in Sikhism? Are we wasting our time? My father is a good man, who has a strong connection to the faith, but doesnt practice it to the fullest as he eats meat, is he wasting his time?

How does sikhi apply to punjabis? Are we all just wannabes who only fit sikhi into our lives when it is convenient for us? Can we look to it for guidance or should we not even bother?

Thank you and outmost respect to all.

You are blessed to even know what Sikhi is regardless of whether your parents took Amrit or not. They do Paht and Sewa which is a good basic spiritual upbringing. (Everyone on this site knows my views on meat, and I don't see any problem according to the free Akal Takht Maryada, as meat isn't prohibited ever since Jagtar Singh Hawara became appointed). You should still attempt to be the best Sikh you can be, your only useless if you don't make small efforts to improve. You could start with Mool Mantar, (also watch some BasicsOfSikhi videos as that'll help you if you're absolutely lost). May Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji bless you. (Mod/Admin, please don't block this topic because I said something pro-meat).

Brother Jas,

inspite of you having a negative image of yourself, I believe you are good at bottom of your being, it is only that you are influenced by the envoirements you have grown up.

Then your present condition, also is a testimony of past sanskaras which play an important role in the lives of us humans, though most of us are not even conscious of it.

I believe no parents teach to drink or to indulge into any other vices to their children, so parents are never to be blamed mostly.

Your both parents are very good persons from what you have said.

You see, we are all covered with the rust of karmas, and this rust can not be removed just like that.

Have we all not heard of "Paras", the philosopher´s stone? That which one, that when even a rusted piece of iron comes into touch with it, it turns out into gold.

For us, what is that "Paras" ?

It is Sadh Kee Sangat, by which, we are turned out from manmukhs into gurmukhs. The material paras, just turns a rusted piece into gold, at most.

But the difference between this "Paras" and a Gurmukh, is farther more than this change. It has more to do on a spiritual level, at our roots.

And that change is, that when we come into the company of a Sadh Jan, a Gurmukh Jan, we are transformed from worldy manmukhs, into real Sikhs, into Gurmukhs, as pure as they themselves are.

And the proof of all this, are our very own beloved Guru Sahibans, or the Bhagat Jan. Not because of anything else, but, because they are One with Akal Purukh.

The Bani says: Har Jee baseh, Sadh ke hirdey.

For example in hinduism, their supreme god Vishnu, which we see in most of the pictures, is seen layong on the Sesnaag, with his wife Lakshmi beside him.....

You see, by being near or in constant touch with these divinities, even then, each jeeva remains as a separate entity. And this, is nowhere seen in Sikhee.

Here lies the substantial difference between the worldly religions and Sikhee. Through Sikhee or Gurmat only, we become one with Wahiguru. This is the excellence, the mahanta of Gurmat.

There in Sach Khand, whosoever arrives by His Grace, becomes one with Him without any distinction.

Through Gurmat, we learn to love Wahiguru, for His sake alone.

And with this True and strong love, we shed away far behind our mind, thus become mindless, then only our sould bleds with wahiguru, becoming Him. Just as a drop of water, falling into the ocean, becomes one with that Ocean.

Who the hell can trace that particular drop then? Absolutely nobody.

So brother, thiis love for Wahiguru generated in our hearts, is the essence of Sikhee, and thus not only punjabis, but any wadbhagee soul, who lives his/her life as per Gurmat, can surely profit his soul and achieve the purpose of coming into human life, because Sikhee is a spiritual path to be traveled by the soul, is not a pth to be traveled by nationalities or cultures, but by the naked and pure soul/sikh, which is a ray of the Akhand Jot of Wahiguru.

Sat Sree Akal.