The When I Started Then I Stopped Thread

sikhni777

Rangeele jiba har ke naye.

The first effort has to be made by your yourself...

then follows

so rang rangile har har dheyae

When Waheguru inspired me to start saying Waheguru then I just had to put a full stop on this sentence and go and do some simran.

After the simran session, it was Waheguru's meher that he gave me the strength to have this thought of remembering Waheguru. Be thankful for the Waheguru inspired effort which happened in the first place and pray it keeps happening.

Have you ever noticed people who go to the Gurdwara and they have been going to the Gurdwara for years yet they are the same now as they were years ago. Nothing has changed in their lives they come to the Gurdwara do mutha-take, listen and go home. Some come to the Gurdwara, they even do sewa in the langar hall or elsewhere, for years, yet they remain the same. Why has meeting the sangat or doing sewa of the sangat not affected their lives? Why are they the same now as they were years ago? Why has all that bani all that sewa not had an effect on their soul?

Because it goes in one ear and out the other. They have not made a conscious effort to follow Guru’s path, they have not made a conscious effort to make changes in their lives to move closer to Guru Ji. To them going to the Gurdwara is just something you do on a Sunday and maybe meet friends and relatives. Even doing sewa has not the motive it should have. Rather than thinking that sewa to the sangat is sewa to the Guru, that sewa brings nimarta and humbleness, that sewa washes away your paap, that sewa is a form of bhagati and through it one moves closer to your Guru, instead it is more of a social thing and as such it does not bring about the changes within oneself that it should.

One example contrary to this, at Soho road Gurdwara there is a man who on weekends cleans the toilets. He cleans the bowls and the sinks and mops the floor and replenishes the toilet rolls and the soap. When I first saw him he was clean shaven, now years later he is keshdhari. Well done that man, I say. Your humbleness in cleaning the toilets (who amongst us would do this on a regular basis) has been seen and blessed by AkaalPurkh Guru Ji so positive changes have come into his life.

Apart from this person, I see the same faces week in week out, some come just for the langar and go home with full bellies. Some come and do sewa but then partake in langar and all that pun-dhaan built up is cancelled out, they go home with nothing it all balances out. We want to increase our punn/good deeds but if we write them off by eating all that langar then it all balances out.

If you are doing sewa then for that day why not abstain from langar, at least go home with something in your karmic account. I have seen sewadhars who do sewa and then sit down to double helpings of saag with extra adhakar/ginger and makkhi rotis with two full glasses of lassi. I am not criticising them in the least, it is Gurughar and it is Guru-ka-langar and they can eat as much as they like, however this is not what Guru-ka-langar is all about.

So make those changes, little ones, ones that you can cope with and progress in your life. Do sewa, very important, but make sure you take something home with you spiritual wise.

Singh ji, who are we to judge others like that?? Even if you have become a brahmgyani and have mastered yourself, then what is the point to judge others? They will receive what they will, it is better to focus on individual sadhana. We do not know what is going through there minds, so stop guessing?

I like these thoughts.

When you listen deeply to the wordcof God then nothing matters. For some reason one day the katha was so great that when I was having langar, I was just full of thankfulness. It was just dhal parshadha and I waa surprised that I was not yearning for the sabji too. However before I used to get upset when the halls full and you have to stand around. When people do hard physical seva however they need to eat their fill. We need to purify our mind and never judge how much others eat. Guru ghar provides for everyones needs. We are blessed to have langar. Guruji has thought of our every need.

I remember a sakhi about a bhagat ji whose wife was having to do extra work because they had a visitor. This was God himself testing her. One day her neighbour asked her why she has lost weight and she is very thin. She replied that their visitor eats a lot. The visitor disappeared and bhagat ji was very angry with his wife. So we need to remember this everytime we come close to looking at what others are eating. Take it as your test. It is a natural instinct to look into others plates.