Muslim Friend Wants To Become A Sikh But She Has Questions

genie

I have a pakistani muslim friend she has been reading up on Sikhism and no longer wants to be a muslim.

She wanted to know how does she become a sikh? She isnt ready to become baptised as a Khalsa but does believe in the Sikh scriptures.

So is there a way she can convert without her strict family finding out but still identifying herself as a Sikh?

Guest Jacfsing2

Really difficult situation, what I'd say is that she should start with nitnem or something similar. How she'll avoid telling her family, is by actually avoiding conversations about it, (if you leave Islam, people will probably kill you). There are some things she should really ask herself if she's willing to take that step to slowly being Sikh. Ask her how committed she is.

I have a pakistani muslim friend she has been reading up on Sikhism and no longer wants to be a muslim.

She wanted to know how does she become a sikh? She isnt ready to become baptised as a Khalsa but does believe in the Sikh scriptures.

So is there a way she can convert without her strict family finding out but still identifying herself as a Sikh?

Thats quite interesting theres alot of muslim girls I know who dont actually believe in Islam but just follow it for sake of their parents and muslim peers/friends even the most religious looking hijabi girls have lost faith.

I'm not sure if there is any other way to convert apart from taking part in the amrit ceremony. I have also known muslim girls who wouldnt have minded converting back in school days but I and they didnt know how to convert either without making it really obvious.

If you can go to the Gurdwara, take parshaad - Fruit or sukka parshaad, payta £11 and do adraas.

Forsake all and pledge your allegiance to Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Make pledge that you believe in

the Ten Gurus and non other. Do jackara. You are now a Sikh.

Start by refraining from cutting hair, start nitname - Japji Sahib. Simran of Waheguru.

Abstain from meat/fish/eggs/alcohol.

You are on your way.

Thanks for the advice guys will pass on the suggestions to her.

Just tell her to start living a more sikh life, like no halal, no fasting, look for sikh partner, read up on sikhi (basics of sikhi), meditation, put kaur in her name etc. Start from there, which should then put her on a par with most sikhs, from which wen she will then go on to study the amritdhari life/sikh history etc. Doing too much straight away like jumping straight into amritdhari/advanced sikhi could overload her n could make her reject dharam outright.

She can convert into a sahajdhari form. Read up on sahajdharis, they have co-existed with the amritdharis for centuries and are very much part of our community without having to observe the kakkaars and other compulsory outward signs. But she has to give up all ties with former religion and only believe in the 10 Gurus and Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

A Sikh is any human being who faithfully believes in

(i) One Immortal Being,

(ii) Ten Gurus, from Guru Nanak Dev to Guru Gobind Singh,

(iii) The Guru Granth Sahib,

(iv) The utterances and teachings of the ten Gurus and

(v) the baptism bequeathed by the tenth Guru, and who does not owe allegiance to any other religion, is a Sikh

Does this mean that the Sehajdhari concept is flawed, I mean who first coined this term?? If a person is faithful to Satguru Ji this would mean they would opt to follow their bachans wholeheartedly. I accept this also means that the majority of Sikhs are not defined as Sikhs, especially if they have not taken Amrit and entered the Sikh University. Gurbani says

ਸੋ ਸਿਖੁ ਸਖਾ ਬੰਧਪੁ ਹੈ ਭਾਈ ਜਿ ਗੁਰ ਕੇ ਭਾਣੇ ਵਿਚਿ ਆਵੈ ॥
ਆਪਣੈ ਭਾਣੈ ਜੋ ਚਲੈ ਭਾਈ ਵਿਛੁੜਿ ਚੋਟਾ ਖਾਵੈ ॥

If someone cuts their hair, smokes, sessions etc, I'm not convinced they are any type of Sikh, even Sehajdhari.

I will be blunt, advice her to move out or the next headline in Muslim papers will be, "Pleased be Mohammad. Proud Father Kills Daughter For Conversion..."

Guest Jacfsing2

A Sikh is any human being who faithfully believes in

(i) One Immortal Being,

(ii) Ten Gurus, from Guru Nanak Dev to Guru Gobind Singh,

(iii) The Guru Granth Sahib,

(iv) The utterances and teachings of the ten Gurus and

(v) the baptism bequeathed by the tenth Guru, and who does not owe allegiance to any other religion, is a Sikh

Does this mean that the Sehajdhari concept is flawed, I mean who first coined this term?? If a person is faithful to Satguru Ji this would mean they would opt to follow their bachans wholeheartedly. I accept this also means that the majority of Sikhs are not defined as Sikhs, especially if they have not taken Amrit and entered the Sikh University. Gurbani says

ਸੋ ਸਿਖੁ ਸਖਾ ਬੰਧਪੁ ਹੈ ਭਾਈ ਜਿ ਗੁਰ ਕੇ ਭਾਣੇ ਵਿਚਿ ਆਵੈ ॥

ਆਪਣੈ ਭਾਣੈ ਜੋ ਚਲੈ ਭਾਈ ਵਿਛੁੜਿ ਚੋਟਾ ਖਾਵੈ ॥

If someone cuts their hair, smokes, sessions etc, I'm not convinced they are any type of Sikh, even Sehajdhari.

I'm sure Sehajdhari meant something else back then, like anyone who believed in all of Sikhi, but because they couldn't take Amrit for some odd reason would be called a Sehajdhari, (an example would be Jinda and Sukha desire for Amrit but couldn't Chack it).