Khalsa Raj - Come Off It Son

Guest WallaWallaBingBong

I read somewhere that maharaja Ranjit singh was the reincarnation of keso pandit whom Guru ji took to the top of the mountain to do Devi puja. He was sorry for his deeds and that is why he was offered raj by Guru ji.

I heard that Maharaja Ranjit Singh was the reincarnation of Aurangzeb. Apparently, he was inconsolable when he reached the afterlife after his reign of terror as emperor, so he was offered birth as a Sikh and the eventual Sikh kingdom as a way of making amends for his mistakes as the Mughal Emperor. Probably explains Maharaja Ranjit Singh's predilection for Muslim females; the soul memory lives on, lol.

Myths.

A puran Gursikh would never ask for raj. Guru Gobind singh ji himself says raj na chahu mukat na chahu man preet charan kamlarhe. Raj is not the ultimate goal of any sikh. Its for those still steeped in worldly desires I believe. None of the Gurus ever ruled as such yet still Guru Gobind Singh ji is refered to as Shahe shehensha the king of kings. A Gursikhs aim is to gain ultimate control over his own mind. Man jite jat jeet. This is the way you can rule over the world, by becoming one with the creator of the world himself.

A puran Gursikh would never ask for raj. Guru Gobind singh ji himself says raj na chahu mukat na chahu man preet charan kamlarhe. Raj is not the ultimate goal of any sikh. Its for those still steeped in worldly desires I believe. None of the Gurus ever ruled as such yet still Guru Gobind Singh ji is refered to as Shahe shehensha the king of kings. A Gursikhs aim is to gain ultimate control over his own mind. Man jite jat jeet. This is the way you can rule over the world, by becoming one with the creator of the world himself.

I agree fully with your post.

Can you tell us where this is from please?

From Ang 534

ਦੇਵਗੰਧਾਰੀ ੫ ॥

Ḏevganḏẖārī 5.

Dayv-Gandhaaree, Fifth Mehl:

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤਾ ਪ੍ਰਿਅ ਬਚਨ ਤੁਹਾਰੇ ॥

Amriṯā pari▫a bacẖan ṯuhāre.

O Beloved, Your Words are Ambrosial Nectar.

ਅਤਿ ਸੁੰਦਰ ਮਨਮੋਹਨ ਪਿਆਰੇ ਸਭਹੂ ਮਧਿ ਨਿਰਾਰੇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

Aṯ sunḏar manmohan pi▫āre sabẖhū maḏẖ nirāre. ||1|| rahā▫o.

O supremely beautiful Enticer, O Beloved, You are among all, and yet distinct from all. ||

1||Pause||

ਰਾਜੁ ਨ ਚਾਹਉ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਨ ਚਾਹਉ ਮਨਿ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਚਰਨ ਕਮਲਾਰੇ ॥

Rāj na cẖāha▫o mukaṯ na cẖāha▫o man parīṯ cẖaran kamlāre.

I do not seek power, and I do not seek liberation. My mind is in love with Your Lotus

Feet.

ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਮਹੇਸ ਸਿਧ ਮੁਨਿ ਇੰਦ੍ਰਾ ਮੋਹਿ ਠਾਕੁਰ ਹੀ ਦਰਸਾਰੇ ॥੧॥

Barahm mahes siḏẖ mun inḏrā mohi ṯẖākur hī ḏarsāre. ||1||

Brahma, Shiva, the Siddhas, the silent sages and Indra - I seek only the Blessed Vision

of my Lord and Master's Darshan. ||1||

ਦੀਨੁ ਦੁਆਰੈ ਆਇਓ ਠਾਕੁਰ ਸਰਨਿ ਪਰਿਓ ਸੰਤ ਹਾਰੇ ॥

Ḏīn ḏu▫ārai ā▫i▫o ṯẖākur saran pari▫o sanṯ hāre.

I have come, helpless, to Your Door, O Lord Master; I am exhausted - I seek the

Sanctuary of the Saints.

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਮਿਲੇ ਮਨੋਹਰ ਮਨੁ ਸੀਤਲ ਬਿਗਸਾਰੇ ॥੨॥੩॥੨੯॥

Kaho Nānak parabẖ mile manohar man sīṯal bigsāre. ||2||3||29||

Says Nanak, I have met my Enticing Lord God; my mind is cooled and soothed - it

blossoms forth in joy. ||2||3||29||

I hear that, but (just out interest) how does the fact that the strongest and most successful we appear to have been post our Guru's physically leaving us, was under some drinking, drug taking and arguably womenising man - maharajah Ranjit Singh?

Good point. The appearance of strength n success was there but only appearance. The truth is under maharaja Ranjit singh, the sikh panth fell to an all time low. (We only fell lower after 84.) the previous generation, the misl period had to do alot with the success. They drove out the mughals, and kept ahmad shah abdali at bay. They built the sikh army, the misl system, which would come together to fight the invaders. They conquered vast territory. Ranjit singh was living on their spoils. In some ways ranjit singh used the spoils to good effect: plating golden temple, hiring european army trainers and building a better cavalry and cannons, and taking conquest further to the west. Also his tolerance and secularity were due to his sikh values. In other ways,he destroyed their legacy: allowing the mixing sikh traditions with hindu and other, creating divides between sikhs on territory and land. You can see as soon as he died, his kingdom fell apart. And the sikh panth was in shambles. You can see how much work the sikhs had to do afterwards: fighting the british, the masands, and the wrong traditions.

I think a person should be judged on what he left behind for the next generation, what he did for the next generation. And the misl periods and before were the most successful in building us something. Ranjit singh took that, used it, and let it be ruined. Did not make provisions to make it last.

Like our generation in the west is enjoying wealth,creating technology at a very fast rate. This is success but only possible due to gains (technological and others) made by the world wars and after generations. And what are we leaving for the next generation? Pollution, wars in middle east n elsewhere, and shrinking middle class, inequality, crony capitalism etc...

Good point. The appearance of strength n success was there but only appearance. The truth is under maharaja Ranjit singh, the sikh panth fell to an all time low. (We only fell lower after 84.) the previous generation, the misl period had to do alot with the success. They drove out the mughals, and kept ahmad shah abdali at bay. They built the sikh army, the misl system, which would come together to fight the invaders. They conquered vast territory. Ranjit singh was living on their spoils. In some ways ranjit singh used the spoils to good effect: plating golden temple, hiring european army trainers and building a better cavalry and cannons, and taking conquest further to the west. Also his tolerance and secularity were due to his sikh values. In other ways,he destroyed their legacy: allowing the mixing sikh traditions with hindu and other, creating divides between sikhs on territory and land. You can see as soon as he died, his kingdom fell apart. And the sikh panth was in shambles. You can see how much work the sikhs had to do afterwards: fighting the british, the masands, and the wrong traditions.

I think a person should be judged on what he left behind for the next generation, what he did for the next generation. And the misl periods and before were the most successful in building us something. Ranjit singh took that, used it, and let it be ruined. Did not make provisions to make it last.

Like our generation in the west is enjoying wealth,creating technology at a very fast rate. This is success but only possible due to gains (technological and others) made by the world wars and after generations. And what are we leaving for the next generation? Pollution, wars in middle east n elsewhere, and shrinking middle class, inequality, crony capitalism etc...

I don't know man. Ranjit Singh didn't invent interSikh fighting, he grew up with it. Even before him, misls were fighting each other, and some misls were forming alliances with outsiders to fight other misls, so it isn't true that he brought these things in. What he did do was to thwart most of his Sikh misl rivals and bring them under his banner.

As for traditions. People who've made efforts to research history should realise that the Sikh worldview of the 18th century was markedly different to the post Singh Sabha one of today. I'm not saying that stuff didn't creep in, but that some accepted norms back then would be violently disagreeable to many modern Sikh minds.