Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh Ji.

I have a question and I hope someone can guide me to the right way:

If I need to read bani from Guru Granth Sahib ji, gutka sahib ji or if I need to touch any holy photos or holy material(example periodically cleaning the worship space), do I need to take complete shower and wear clean clothes and then do the needful? Isn't it sufficient If I just wash my hands properly after using the toilet and then touch gutka sahib, guru granth sahib ji or any holy photo or any holy material.

Guest Jacfsing2

I personally don't take a full-shower; however, I still think we should respect Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji's final form, (Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji), to be best extent possible. The very least is washing your hands. [i'm also going to follow this topic for the Sangat's opinion, please don't just take my word for it as I'm also improving].

I personally don't take a full-shower; however, I still think we should respect Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji's final form, (Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji), to be best extent possible. The very least is washing your hands. [i'm also going to follow this topic for the Sangat's opinion, please don't just take my word for it as I'm also improving].

Thank you for the information. When I visit gurudwara sahib, I always ensure that I take shower and wear clean clothes. However, sometimes, it is not possible because of various circumstances.

I am more concerned about the personal hygiene at home. I just have few gutka sahib at home and a small worshiping place. I always do nitnem after taking full shower.However, sometimes I need to do evening path (rehraas sahib) or sometimes sukhmani sahib during the day and sometimes i use the washroom before that time and it is not possible to take shower throughout the day before doing path. I clean the worship place periodically however sometimes it's urgent to use washroom and then i feel like not to touch the sacred material.

I completely understand that guru sahib is dyalu and he always forgives but I want to make sure that I don't do any mistake knowingly or unknowingly.

I would really appreciate someone's guidance regarding this.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

It is a matter of individual Shardha-bhavana.

Normally you should do what your elders or role models did.

What was good for them should be good for you.

However due to some extra ordinary circumstance you cannot perform Seva as per standard

then do Ardas asking forgiveness & improvise.

Another option is to request near or dear to do Seva in your place.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

When I grew up I was taught that I have to wash hands before touching a Gutka Sahib. But as I grew up I began doing panj ishnana before touching a Gutka Sahib out of respect for Gurbani Pothi. It is not compulsory to do panj ishnana but just felt like the right thing to do for me. But hand washing is a must.

As for any seva of Guru Granth Sahib jee. One must have full body Ishnan and wear suche clothing. This is puratan rehit.

When I grew up I was taught that I have to wash hands before touching a Gutka Sahib. But as I grew up I began doing panj ishnana before touching a Gutka Sahib out of respect for Gurbani Pothi. It is not compulsory to do panj ishnana but just felt like the right thing to do for me. But hand washing is a must.

As for any seva of Guru Granth Sahib jee. One must have full body Ishnan and wear suche clothing. This is puratan rehit.

I remember reading rehit for Kirtan Sohila Sahib ji is to do panj ishnaan before , obviously we have full body shower before morning nitnem , so doing panj ishnaan before Sodar Raheras Sahib ji makes sense

Thank you everyone for the information. It is indeed very helpful.

I understand that I should do full body shower and wear clean clothes in the morning during nitnem which is what I usually do.

However before doing path from gukta sahib throughout the day like afternoon/evening.or before touching any holy material, i should ideally do punj ishnaan(atleast wash my hands) however, do i need to change and wear clean clothes as well? because sometimes during the day, i use the washroom/toilet.

I usually visit gurudwara sahib after taking full shower and wear clean clothes regardless whether I am going there to pay obeisance or to read gurbani from guru granth sahib ji.

I understand that when I need to read gurbani from guru granth sahib ji, I need to take full shower and wear clean clothes.

However, in some circumstances when I take shower during the morning and wear clean clothes and use toilet/washroom after that and during middle of the day if I need to visit gurudwara sahib pay obeisance only (not to read gurbani from guru granth sahib ji), should I just wash my hands or I should take full shower and wear clean clothes again?