Why Nanaksar Ragiis Are Celibate

Actually it's not just women, but men also that try to touch feet, etc as you say.

Yes they are messengers from God, and a real Sant does not expect people to bow down to him or touch feet, etc. A normal namaskar is enough, and they do not even expect that or ask for it. I have seen one move away, when somebody tried to touch his feet. So no, a true Sant does not allow it.

Also Baba Nand Singh ji did not allow a lone woman to visit the Gurdwara, she had to be accompanied by male member from her family.

He did not pose, but only rest on a bairagan (an arm rest used as support when praying). Do you even know how much bhagti Babaji used to do? Obviously not. Wherever he went he went empty handed, and lived in a khuli (thatched hut), or temporary units which were set on fire after he left, so he would have no attachment to anything but God's name, spreading God's word. And those with him were told not to accept any money or valuables.

He used to say the real treasure is the faith one has in God.

I respect any Sikh preacher, Kirtani, Sants [not the fake ones,as there are many]

I've not done nindiya, but you seem to be the type who are joined to the Sant and not to the message of Gurbani?

The ultimate goal is for YOU to be one with Waheguru and not what kamaiee a Sant does. As his kamaiiee is for his soul and not yours, just as me eating food would not eliminate your hunger.

Satguru naal jur, not the Sants

So by your standards the order was to live a householder lifestyle until the 5 vices are gone, but then what happens? Do you become celibate after the 5 vices are gone? Do you leave your family and join the Baba at the Nanaksar deras?

I actually mean to look for the answer of this in Kabir Jis life history where his wife was complaining about him bhunna channa teyag ke... but have not had the time to do so.

Bhagat Ji was spending so much time in bhagti and his wife was complaining about his hungry children. Some paras was given to him by a bhramin or somebody so that he can make gold with it and become rich. He however shunned all this and his family was living in great poverty.

This is directly in contrast with what I was reading recently in that if you are a gristi then you have to do your duty. However Kabir Ji still was welcoming sants and bhagats and offering them the last of any food which was available in his house. To fully understand the life and spritual progression of Bhagat Ji you need to read the various shabads and meanings. I have a larger book in punjabi which details all his life. There are so many happenings in his life which help one to understand about the things which we have to fight against in order to reach the one supreme waheguru. Maiya is the greatest distraction. In fact Laxmi came to him and he cut her nose and threw her out. Kanno kati nako kati kaat kuut ke dhari.

(unfortunately because I am married too, I have limited time to research all these and present them in a more understandable manner)

A gristi needs maiya that is money and other materials in order to successfully feed, clothe and serve his children and wife. However the route to becoming one with Waheguru involves shunning maiya which means all money and material things. Bhagat Jji did not once get tempted by maiya. He shifted houses when this paras was planted into his house once again.

(this is where celibacy steps in to rescue the individual. Bhagat Ji was having to neglect his family - they could not understand what was happening to him. He stopped working and was getting steeped up in deep bhagti. Therefore Nanaksar maryadha offers such individuals a chance to steep themselves into deep bhagti and achieve their goals. This is my understanding which I have received after studying Bhagat kabir Jis life and events. )

I didn't say you did nindya of Sants, you said it yourself in this post.

How can I be joined to a Sant, when the Sant has their own karm, own bhagti, own kamaiyee? Somebody being joined to another is impossible as every soul comes into this world with their own karm. If you think that I think a Sant will give me some of their kamaiyee, then you are wrong, because you are only assuming this without asking me what I think Paji.

I have respect for Sants, Gurmukhs, as we can learn from them, they are here only as guide, sent also by Waheguru. Each soul has their own role to play in this life. So me having respect for a Sant does not mean I worship the Sant. I worship Waheguru, God, the one and only Lord, and I bow before Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji. So how does that give you the right to assume ?

You wrote the word " seem ". That's exactly what it is, "seem " and "assume" to you. I respect any Sant, Gurmukh, Pracharak who enlightens with the truth only and of Waheguru, of any Samparda, and it's within Gurmat, and I'm not ashamed to say that, because I'm doing nothing wrong by respecting.

You see you need to distinguish between what respect is and what worship is. So you should not "assume".

Thank you ji, Paji Pakhandi Baba, I hope you understand it now.

My apologies Penji - My reaction was the the actual photo meditation, this is not Gurmat but manmat no matter whom has said it. Be it a Baba, Sant, Peer, Giani, Sian - If one want's to focus on God then there is NO better medium than GURBANI [which you're aware of] take a paragraph or a tuk of Gurbani and concentrate on that than a made up picture of our 'Guru Sahibs' [even though it's accepted Guru pictures in house and Gurdwara]

For instance, the line 'SO DAR TERA KEHA SO GHAR KEHA JIT BEH SARAB SAMALE - What Is That House Like Where You Sit And Take Care Of All - It might be simple but it blows my mind, just contemplating the Lord God sitting there majestically looking at his creation.

:)

I actually mean to look for the answer of this in Kabir Jis life history where his wife was complaining about him bhunna channa teyag ke... but have not had the time to do so.

Bhagat Ji was spending so much time in bhagti and his wife was complaining about his hungry children. Some paras was given to him by a bhramin or somebody so that he can make gold with it and become rich. He however shunned all this and his family was living in great poverty.

This is directly in contrast with what I was reading recently in that if you are a gristi then you have to do your duty. However Kabir Ji still was welcoming sants and bhagats and offering them the last of any food which was available in his house. To fully understand the life and spritual progression of Bhagat Ji you need to read the various shabads and meanings. I have a larger book in punjabi which details all his life. There are so many happenings in his life which help one to understand about the things which we have to fight against in order to reach the one supreme waheguru. Maiya is the greatest distraction. In fact Laxmi came to him and he cut her nose and threw her out. Kanno kati nako kati kaat kuut ke dhari.

(unfortunately because I am married too, I have limited time to research all these and present them in a more understandable manner)

A gristi needs maiya that is money and other materials in order to successfully feed, clothe and serve his children and wife. However the route to becoming one with Waheguru involves shunning maiya which means all money and material things. Bhagat Jji did not once get tempted by maiya. He shifted houses when this paras was planted into his house once again.

(this is where celibacy steps in to rescue the individual. Bhagat Ji was having to neglect his family - they could not understand what was happening to him. He stopped working and was getting steeped up in deep bhagti. Therefore Nanaksar maryadha offers such individuals a chance to steep themselves into deep bhagti and achieve their goals. This is my understanding which I have received after studying Bhagat kabir Jis life and events. )

Bheinji, mother of Bhagat Kabir ji is complaining about neglecting work.

Not Bhagat ji's wife !

Have a look at

http://igurbani.com/?shabadid=2007&id=23345

VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Sure:

http://igurbani.com/?shabadid=3955&id=47165

Sikhi begins here. I think perhaps it is being missed what a Sikh is. The ideal Sikh sells his/her head to the Guru. Even upon selling that head to the Guru, he/she commits that if the Panth needs their life for a cause, they will willingly and without hesitation give it. It is a very high standard and Guru Sahib has outlined it to be sharper than a sword's edge and thinner than a hair.

Gursikhs such as Sant Jarnail Singh, Shaheed Bhai Fauja Singh - they all were householders. Countless Gursikhs gave their lives in recent history that were householders. They had Shabad di kamai. Whatever your views on Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh, his Jail Chittian are a testament to a Gursikh's commitment to the Guru - was he not a householder?

There are multiple examples just in the city I live where bihungums have been overcome with kaam and had affairs with women. Merely walking the bihungum path has not provided them any respite from feelings of kaam.

Why is this topic still being pursued? If celibacy was a superior path, then why would Guru Sahib have advocated a householder life, or at least spoken of celibacy being superior in pursuing Gurmat? Stop promoting celibacy as anything superior - in the end, an individual must face the 5 vikaars and defeat them to obtain results in Gurmat. Whether that be as a celibate or a householder, the fight is internal, not external. Both are subject to them and the only means to overcome them for a Sikh is through practice of Gurmat. Either path can be faced with any and all of the 5 vikaars, and either, through God's Grace, can overcome them and become a true Sikh.

Even the dialog captured in Vaaran Bhai Gurdas Sahib are telling of Guru Sahib's contempt for this celibate arrogance, when Guru Sahib straight up dissed Bhangar Nath about celibacy and associated ego:

੪੦ : ਸਿੱਧਾਂ ਨਾਲ ਗੋਸ਼ਟ

ਖਾਧੀ ਖੁਣਸਿ ਜੁਗੀਸਰਾਂ ਗੋਸਟਿ ਕਰਨਿ ਸਭੇ ਉਠਿ ਆਈ।

ਪੁਛੇ ਜੋਗੀ ਭੰਗਰ ਨਾਥੁ ਤੁਹਿ ਦੁਧ ਵਿਚਿ ਕਿਉਂ ਕਾਂਜੀ ਪਾਈ।

ਫਿਟਿਆ ਚਾਟਾ ਦੁਧ ਦਾ ਰਿੜਕਿਆ ਮਖਣੁ ਹਥਿ ਨ ਆਈ।

ਭੇਖੁ ਉਤਾਰਿ ਉਦਾਸਿ ਦਾ ਵਤਿ ਕਿਉ ਸੰਸਾਰੀ ਰੀਤਿ ਚਲਾਈ।

ਨਾਨਕ ਆਖੇ ਭੰਗਰ ਨਾਥ ਤੇਰੀ ਮਾਉ ਕੁਚਜੀ ਆਹੀ।

ਭਾਂਡਾ ਧੋਇ ਨ ਜਾਤਿਓਨਿ ਭਾਇ ਕੁਚਜੇ ਫੁਲੁ ਸੜਾਈ।

ਹੋਇ ਅਤੀਤੁ ਗ੍ਰਿਹਸਤਿ ਤਜਿ ਫਿਰਿ ਉਨਹੁ ਕੇ ਘਰਿ ਮੰਗਣਿ ਜਾਈ।

ਬਿਨੁ ਦਿਤੇ ਕਛੁ ਹਥਿ ਨ ਆਈ ॥੪੦॥

All the yogis getting irritated grouped together and came forward to have a debate.

Yogi Bhangar Nath asked, (Why have you put vinegar in milk?)

The spoiled milk cannot be churned into butter.

How have you put off yogic garb and attired yourself in a household way.

Said Nanak, (O Bhangar Nath, your mother-teacher is unmannerly)

She has not cleansed the innerself of your body-pot and your clumpsy thoughts have burnt your flower (of knowledge which was to become fruit).

You, while distancing and repudiating house hold life, go again to those householders for begging.

Except their offerings you don’t get anything.

ਜੋਗੀ ਈਰਖਾ ਕਰ ਕੇ ਸਾਰੇ ਚਰਚਾ ਕਰਨ ਨੂੰ ਉਠ ਆਏ।

ਭੰਗਰ ਨਾਥ ਜੋਗੀ ਪੁੱਛਣ ਲੱਗਾ “ਤੂੰ ਦੁੱਧ ਵਿਚ ਕਾਂਜੀ ਕਿਉਂ ਪਾ ਦਿੱਤੀ ਹੈ?।

(ਹੁਣ ਤਾਂ) ਦੁੱਧ ਦਾ ਮਟਕਾ ਫਿੱਟ ਗਿਆ ਹੈ, ਰਿੜਕਣ ਨਾਲ ਮੱਖਣ ਕੀ ਨਿਕਲਣਾ ਹੈ? (ਭਾਵ ਸੰਨਿਆਸ ਦੇ ਚਾਟੇ ਵਿਚ ਸੰਸਾਰੀ ਰੀਤ ਦੀ ਕਾਂਜੀ ਪਾ ਦਿੱਤੀ ਹੈ, ਹੁਣ ਗਿਆਨ ਮੱਖਣ ਨਹੀਂ ਨਿਕਲੂ ਤੇ ਨਾ ਹੀ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਹੋਵੇਗੀ।

ਉਦਾਸੀ ਭੇਖ ਲਾਹਕੇ (ਤੂੰ) ਫਿਰ ਕਿਉਂ ਸੰਸਾਰ ਦੀ ਰੀਤਿ ਚਲਾ ਦਿੱਤੀ ਹੈ? “

(ਸ੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰੂ) ਨਾਨਕ ਜੀ ਨੇ ਬਚਨ ਕੀਤਾ ‘ਹੇ ਭੰਗਰ ਨਾਥ! ਤੇਰੀ ਮਾਂ ਕੁਚੱਜੀ ਸੀ (ਅਥਵਾ ਤੇਰੀ ਬੁੱਧਿ ਖਰਾਬ ਹੈ)।

(ਉਸਨੇ ਰਿਦੇ ਦਾ ਭਾਂਡਾ ਧੋ) ਨਹੀਂ ਜਾਤਾ (ਭੇਖ ਰੂਪੀ) ਕੁਚੱਜੇ ਭਾਉ ਨਾਲ ਦੁੱਧ ਨੂੰ ਸਾੜ ਬੈਠੀ ਹੈ। (ਸਤਰ ੭ ਵਿਚ ਦੱਸਿਆ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਉਹ ਕੁਚਜਾ ਭਾਵ ਕੀ ਹੈ-ਗ੍ਰਿਸਤ ਤੋਂ ਅਤੀਤ ਹੋ ਕੇ ਫੇਰ ਗ੍ਰਿਹਸਤੀਆਂ ਤੋਂ ਮੰਗ ਖਾਣਾ।)

ਵਿਰਕਤ ਹੋਕੇ ਗ੍ਰਿਹਸਤ ਨੂੰ ਛਡ ਕੇ ਫੇਰ ਉਨ੍ਹਾਂ (ਸੰਸਾਰੀਆਂ) ਦੇ ਘਰ ਮੰਗਣ ਚੜ੍ਹ ਪੈਂਦੇ ਹੋ (ਤੇ ਮੂੰਹ ਨਾਲ ਗ੍ਰਿਹਸਤੀਆਂ ਦੀ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਕਰਦੇ ਹੋ)।

(ਤੁਹਾਨੂੰ ਇਹ ਪਤਾ ਹੋਣਾ ਚਾਹੀਦਾ ਹੈ ਕਿ) ਦਿਤੇ ਬਿਨਾਂ (ਕਿਸੇ ਨੂੰ) ਕੁਛ ਨਹੀਂ ਮਿਲਦਾ।

https://searchgurbani.com/bhai_gurdas_vaaran/vaar/1/pauri/40

VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Sure:

http://igurbani.com/?shabadid=3955&id=47165

Sikhi begins here. I think perhaps it is being missed what a Sikh is. The ideal Sikh sells his/her head to the Guru. Even upon selling that head to the Guru, he/she commits that if the Panth needs their life for a cause, they will willingly and without hesitation give it. It is a very high standard and Guru Sahib has outlined it to be sharper than a sword's edge and thinner than a hair.

Gursikhs such as Sant Jarnail Singh, Shaheed Bhai Fauja Singh - they all were householders. Countless Gursikhs gave their lives in recent history that were householders. They had Shabad di kamai. Whatever your views on Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh, his Jail Chittian are a testament to a Gursikh's commitment to the Guru - was he not a householder?

There are multiple examples just in the city I live where bihungums have been overcome with kaam and had affairs with women. Merely walking the bihungum path has not provided them any respite from feelings of kaam.

Why is this topic still being pursued? If celibacy was a superior path, then why would Guru Sahib have advocated a householder life, or at least spoken of celibacy being superior in pursuing Gurmat? Stop promoting celibacy as anything superior - in the end, an individual must face the 5 vikaars and defeat them to obtain results in Gurmat. Whether that be as a celibate or a householder, the fight is internal, not external. Both are subject to them and the only means to overcome them for a Sikh is through practice of Gurmat. Either path can be faced with any and all of the 5 vikaars, and either, through God's Grace, can overcome them and become a true Sikh.

Even the dialog captured in Vaaran Bhai Gurdas Sahib are telling of Guru Sahib's contempt for this celibate arrogance, when Guru Sahib straight up dissed Bhangar Nath about celibacy and associated ego:

੪੦ : ਸਿੱਧਾਂ ਨਾਲ ਗੋਸ਼ਟ

ਖਾਧੀ ਖੁਣਸਿ ਜੁਗੀਸਰਾਂ ਗੋਸਟਿ ਕਰਨਿ ਸਭੇ ਉਠਿ ਆਈ।

ਪੁਛੇ ਜੋਗੀ ਭੰਗਰ ਨਾਥੁ ਤੁਹਿ ਦੁਧ ਵਿਚਿ ਕਿਉਂ ਕਾਂਜੀ ਪਾਈ।

ਫਿਟਿਆ ਚਾਟਾ ਦੁਧ ਦਾ ਰਿੜਕਿਆ ਮਖਣੁ ਹਥਿ ਨ ਆਈ।

ਭੇਖੁ ਉਤਾਰਿ ਉਦਾਸਿ ਦਾ ਵਤਿ ਕਿਉ ਸੰਸਾਰੀ ਰੀਤਿ ਚਲਾਈ।

ਨਾਨਕ ਆਖੇ ਭੰਗਰ ਨਾਥ ਤੇਰੀ ਮਾਉ ਕੁਚਜੀ ਆਹੀ।

ਭਾਂਡਾ ਧੋਇ ਨ ਜਾਤਿਓਨਿ ਭਾਇ ਕੁਚਜੇ ਫੁਲੁ ਸੜਾਈ।

ਹੋਇ ਅਤੀਤੁ ਗ੍ਰਿਹਸਤਿ ਤਜਿ ਫਿਰਿ ਉਨਹੁ ਕੇ ਘਰਿ ਮੰਗਣਿ ਜਾਈ।

ਬਿਨੁ ਦਿਤੇ ਕਛੁ ਹਥਿ ਨ ਆਈ ॥੪੦॥

All the yogis getting irritated grouped together and came forward to have a debate.

Yogi Bhangar Nath asked, (Why have you put vinegar in milk?)

The spoiled milk cannot be churned into butter.

How have you put off yogic garb and attired yourself in a household way.

Said Nanak, (O Bhangar Nath, your mother-teacher is unmannerly)

She has not cleansed the innerself of your body-pot and your clumpsy thoughts have burnt your flower (of knowledge which was to become fruit).

You, while distancing and repudiating house hold life, go again to those householders for begging.

Except their offerings you dont get anything.

ਜੋਗੀ ਈਰਖਾ ਕਰ ਕੇ ਸਾਰੇ ਚਰਚਾ ਕਰਨ ਨੂੰ ਉਠ ਆਏ।

ਭੰਗਰ ਨਾਥ ਜੋਗੀ ਪੁੱਛਣ ਲੱਗਾ ਤੂੰ ਦੁੱਧ ਵਿਚ ਕਾਂਜੀ ਕਿਉਂ ਪਾ ਦਿੱਤੀ ਹੈ?।

(ਹੁਣ ਤਾਂ) ਦੁੱਧ ਦਾ ਮਟਕਾ ਫਿੱਟ ਗਿਆ ਹੈ, ਰਿੜਕਣ ਨਾਲ ਮੱਖਣ ਕੀ ਨਿਕਲਣਾ ਹੈ? (ਭਾਵ ਸੰਨਿਆਸ ਦੇ ਚਾਟੇ ਵਿਚ ਸੰਸਾਰੀ ਰੀਤ ਦੀ ਕਾਂਜੀ ਪਾ ਦਿੱਤੀ ਹੈ, ਹੁਣ ਗਿਆਨ ਮੱਖਣ ਨਹੀਂ ਨਿਕਲੂ ਤੇ ਨਾ ਹੀ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਹੋਵੇਗੀ।

ਉਦਾਸੀ ਭੇਖ ਲਾਹਕੇ (ਤੂੰ) ਫਿਰ ਕਿਉਂ ਸੰਸਾਰ ਦੀ ਰੀਤਿ ਚਲਾ ਦਿੱਤੀ ਹੈ?

(ਸ੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰੂ) ਨਾਨਕ ਜੀ ਨੇ ਬਚਨ ਕੀਤਾ ਹੇ ਭੰਗਰ ਨਾਥ! ਤੇਰੀ ਮਾਂ ਕੁਚੱਜੀ ਸੀ (ਅਥਵਾ ਤੇਰੀ ਬੁੱਧਿ ਖਰਾਬ ਹੈ)।

(ਉਸਨੇ ਰਿਦੇ ਦਾ ਭਾਂਡਾ ਧੋ) ਨਹੀਂ ਜਾਤਾ (ਭੇਖ ਰੂਪੀ) ਕੁਚੱਜੇ ਭਾਉ ਨਾਲ ਦੁੱਧ ਨੂੰ ਸਾੜ ਬੈਠੀ ਹੈ। (ਸਤਰ ੭ ਵਿਚ ਦੱਸਿਆ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਉਹ ਕੁਚਜਾ ਭਾਵ ਕੀ ਹੈ-ਗ੍ਰਿਸਤ ਤੋਂ ਅਤੀਤ ਹੋ ਕੇ ਫੇਰ ਗ੍ਰਿਹਸਤੀਆਂ ਤੋਂ ਮੰਗ ਖਾਣਾ।)

ਵਿਰਕਤ ਹੋਕੇ ਗ੍ਰਿਹਸਤ ਨੂੰ ਛਡ ਕੇ ਫੇਰ ਉਨ੍ਹਾਂ (ਸੰਸਾਰੀਆਂ) ਦੇ ਘਰ ਮੰਗਣ ਚੜ੍ਹ ਪੈਂਦੇ ਹੋ (ਤੇ ਮੂੰਹ ਨਾਲ ਗ੍ਰਿਹਸਤੀਆਂ ਦੀ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਕਰਦੇ ਹੋ)।

(ਤੁਹਾਨੂੰ ਇਹ ਪਤਾ ਹੋਣਾ ਚਾਹੀਦਾ ਹੈ ਕਿ) ਦਿਤੇ ਬਿਨਾਂ (ਕਿਸੇ ਨੂੰ) ਕੁਛ ਨਹੀਂ ਮਿਲਦਾ।

https://searchgurbani.com/bhai_gurdas_vaaran/vaar/1/pauri/40

WJKK WJKF

GREAT POST! Fully agree with you!

It is Extremely difficult for a Grehasti to do Shabad di Kamai like Bhagat Sahibaan's.

Here's another Shabad

http://igurbani.com/?shabadid=2515&id=28436

Will someone throw light on how a person might achieve this ?

Brother Singhbj Singh,

the link you have provided is great, I was going through it, and have come across some precious words of First Patshahee Guru Nanak Dev Maharaj, which are related to your question in your post, and which I am going to present them below:

sach simariai hovai paragaas
Remembering the True Lord in meditation, one is enlightened.
Here Guru Jee is telling us, that by remembering Him in meditation, one gets the strength to overcome one´s weakness, because then the power of of the mind is subdued with his Light, which emanates from the practice of His simran, that is why Guru Jee says: Sach simrai hovai pargaas, by meditating on that primal Truth, one is enlightened and realizes the supreme importance of Wahiguru above all otehr things, our manmat, our durmat, is washed with Gurmat.
thaa thae bikhiaa mehi rehai oudhaas
Then, in the midst of Maya, he remains detached.
Then here He says: As we meditate on the the one truth which is nowhwere outside, but rather within us, so just as if outside is hot, but we at home have an air conditioner switched on, the heat outside will not affect us. In a similar way, we may be surrounded by maya, but if we have attched ourselves conscioussly to that Primal truth within us, namely Wahiguru, then no vikaar, no maya can affect that devotee of the Lord.
sathigur kee aisee vaddiaaee
Such is the Glory of the True Guru;
And this Glory of Wahiguru, is as aparampaar as Himself.
puthr kalathr vichae gath paaee
in the midst of children and spouses, they attain emancipation.

Once again, He says, it does not matter if even is midst our near and strong relationships which are karmic bonds bonds, but such powerful is His Bhakti, that one while being on the surface of the water in a pond, one´s face is like a lotus flower, which remains towards the Lord unaffected by the mayavee surroundings.

aisee saevak saevaa karai
Such is the service which the Lord's servant performs,
By all other means, one´s efforts are useless, just as the mighty Ravan, who with all his powers, sacrifices, knowledge , was a failure as a spiritual seeker, because he never performed the bhakti prescribed by all true gurmukhs, Bhgat jan, and Guru Sahibans, which is none other than Naam Bhakti.
jis kaa jeeo this aagai dharai
that he dedicates his soul to the Lord, to whom it belongs.

Here He is telling us, that, by His Grace alone, one performs His bhakti, and one thus returns and merges in Him, our origin.

Sat Sree Akal.