Constant Headaches From Heavy Hair And Dastaar

Lack of iron can cause these headaches. It is not because of the hair or dastar as we may end up thinking. It is sometimes just lack of exercise and circulation. A glass of water and a walk in fresh air tends to help too. Avoid sleeping or carrying your mobile phone on you for long periods of time. Electronic exposure from phone handsets, mobiles and tablets and laptops can cause these headaches. So try to limit your exposure. Avoid having unnecessary chats on your mobile phone too.

Once iron builds up you feel better. Exercise helps anaemia get better contrary to what we think.

Before anyone gets the wrong idea...I DO NOT IN A MILLION YEARS WANT TO DO BEADBI OF MY KES OR REMOVE MY DASTAAR!!! So now to my story!

I have tied a dastaar for about 4 years now. As a girl, my hair has always been super long and super thick (up to my knees, and so thick!). Before tying a dastaar I used to just have a plait. I used to cut my hair secretly, as my parents were Amritdhari and at that point I felt forced into Sikhi and didn't really understand it. I'd never cut it to a noticeable point, but I feel that as a result my hair grew even longer and thicker once I stopped cutting it and was blessed with amrit di daat.

Anyway, for the better part of the last few years, I have suffered from constant headaches and constant migraines. To the point that whenever I come home from a day out (either from Gurdwara, uni, or work) the first thing I do is untie my dastaar and if I know I'm home all day I don't tie one at all because by the end of the day sometimes I am in tears because my head and my neck hurt so much. I have tried tying my joora at different parts on my head, I've tried a bunga and no bunga, I've tried different lengths of material, different types of material...I don't know what it is that makes my head hurt so much. When I do a plait (e.g. after I've washed my hair and it is semi-dry) and tie a rumaal on my head, my head doesn't ever hurt...so I think it has something to do with how I'm tying my joora or tying my dastaar.

I love my dastaar so much, I would never want to stop tying one. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and if so, what they did to solve the issue? Does anyone have any techniques that may help??

I was also wondering whether anyone knows if headaches might be caused by some sort of lack in my spiritual life? (sorry if it's a stupid question).

I'm deficient in iron and vitamin d and I'm taking supplements for that so if there's any doctors on the forum who can tell me if these are associated with constant headaches then please let me know as well! (I know they cause some headaches but not sure if that's every single day!!!). Like I said before though these headaches don't seem to happen when my hair is in a plait.

Thank you so much, please apni choti bhen samajh je bhul chuk maaf karni

I'm not a doctor, but I have tutored patients on their health conditions and worked with health professionals. From my own experience I know vitamin D deficiency causes tiredness, muscle aches and pains, sensitive bones.

Iron deficiency may cause headaches, and tiredness.

Make sure you take your tablets as prescribed, and get your blood tests done after a few months to see if there is any change.

Are you stressed about anything? When one is stressed, it tends to affect their physical well being too. It is important to deal with any stress, and to implement methods to help you cope.

A topic that may help you with the head sensitivity side of it:

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?/topic/78617-thinking-of-cutting-my-hair/?hl=dastar

Lack of iron can cause these headaches. It is not because of the hair or dastar as we may end up thinking. It is sometimes just lack of exercise and circulation. A glass of water and a walk in fresh air tends to help too. Avoid sleeping or carrying your mobile phone on you for long periods of time. Electronic exposure from phone handsets, mobiles and tablets and laptops can cause these headaches. So try to limit your exposure. Avoid having unnecessary chats on your mobile phone too.

Once iron builds up you feel better. Exercise helps anaemia get better contrary to what we think.

I'd just like to point out, if the OP has anaemia, that she should consult her doctor first before doing any type of exercise. Do not undertake any form of exercise if you have a health condition that causes weakness, always consult your doctor first.

Thank you everyone for your replies, I really appreciate it!!

I have had my eyes tested recently and everything is OK!

I have always had anaemia for as long as I can remember, but I never experience these sorts of severe constant headaches before tying a dastaar, and I still don't when I tie my hair in a plait....but I will definitely take on your advice and make sure that I consult the doctor about this again!! He is aware of my headaches and has only ever told me to take supplements!!

To the veerji above, I really appreciate that input because sometimes I feel that they are a result of a lack in my spiritual life!