Starched Turbans - Topi Or Not Topi

InderjitS

• 4 years later...
On 3/17/2016 at 6:43 PM, InderjitS said:

Firstly sorry for the cheesy pun!

If someone can shed light onto how they came about I'd be grateful. What does everyone make of them, is the person wearing one any less than those that tie one daily, do we consider them as topis or can they be classified as Dastars?

I would say that starched Paghs are better for the Kenyan style. It only becomes a topi if you treat it as one (e.g: take of like a hat rather than not doing the larh to larh).

The thing is that most ppl that wear starched paggs take them off like hats. 

so theyre nanga-sir during the night. One time my grandpa had to leave his house at night and because he wears starched, he was nanga-sir and had to find another pagg the next day. 

5 hours ago, AkalkiFauj said:

I would say that starched Paghs are better for the Kenyan style. It only becomes a topi if you treat it as one (e.g: take of like a hat rather than not doing the larh to larh).

but I think the point of starching the pagh is to shape it so as to use it as a topi.

exactly. I think they were under British rule too long in Africa, and compromised their rehit. I mean even those who have taken Pahul wear these starch topis. They also compromised their rehit by super-fixo'ing up their darhis, and I have seen this has resulted in their grandchildren in uk just trimming their beards to achieve a similar look! It's a shame they kept these anti-rehit looks even after leaving the angrej army.... Also it wasn't just the men, when the women came to uk they were seen as notorious for having haircut and drinking according to the indian sikh aunties last century - and the families related to the starched pagh walay were seen as being overly-liberal.

So compromising the pagh and turning it into a starch topi was just the start, this lead to a downward spiralling of values for both genders while they were living under the gora masters, overly-liberal adharmik values. In the 2000s it used to shock me seeing Hi5 and Facebook family pictures with fathers and sons with starch pagh and fixo'ed up darhis and with the daughters dressed all nanghi and trashy. Although it's no longer shocking in the 2020s as sikh families have become desensitised somewhat, actually who am I kidding - it is still shocking to see a sardar family like that put up public photos, the SHAME!

17 minutes ago, ipledgeblue said:

fathers and sons with starch pagh and fixo'ed up darhis and with the daughters dressed all nanghi and trashy.

Singhs who allow their women  to wear half nangi clothes have no shame. And are a disgrace.

Putting your women on display like that for everyone to look at is basically no different to selling them. 

People who starch their paghs also gell and glue their dharis, this is probably even worse.  Your dhari is supposed to flow not be plastered to your face.  Most people who glue their dharis to their face have damaged their dharis and have bald patches in their dhari. 

On 3/17/2016 at 8:27 PM, sikhiseeker said:

guilty of wearing a patka, it's hard wearing a pag when in the gym but I guess this is just an excuse right. I guess a dumalla would be better suited, but I have yet to master the dumalla tying technique.

Don't feel guilty. When I started working out at home I was tying a meter's parna. However, I resorted to patka only a week later as it felt right n appropriate to me. 

Been a year now since exercising with a single dumbbell. For making muscles visible a healthy diet is a must, so sadly I don't have those muscles, though my strength has grown. 

1 hour ago, Singh1989 said:

Been a year now since exercising with a single dumbbell. For making muscles visible a healthy diet is a must, so sadly I don't have those muscles, though my strength has grown. 

I been using 2 dumbbells   and there is a slight different in my arms   though iv been only doing it for about a month. 

If you do basic stuff like pushups and bench dips  its helps too  

But iv developed this disgusting looking layer of fat  since lockdown   I looks repulsive lmao    so iv started skipping and running on the treadmill 

If you chew your food a lot then swallow it   it helps with keeping in shape    lots of water as well