Starched Turbans - Topi Or Not Topi

InderjitS

2 hours ago, puzzled said:

I been using 2 dumbbells   and there is a slight different in my arms   though iv been only doing it for about a month. 

If you do basic stuff like pushups and bench dips  its helps too  

But iv developed this disgusting looking layer of fat  since lockdown   I looks repulsive lmao    so iv started skipping and running on the treadmill 

If you chew your food a lot then swallow it   it helps with keeping in shape    lots of water as well 

I think stuff like desi bethaks is really important to do.

I left my dumbbells in the garage and keep forgetting to bring them into the house. I have got a kettleball in my room/office and use that, you can kind of do indian club exercises with kettleballs as well. I keep another kettleball in an upstairs room in case I feel like doing a short workout.

55 minutes ago, ipledgeblue said:

I think stuff like desi bethaks is really important to do.

I left my dumbbells in the garage and keep forgetting to bring them into the house. I have got a kettleball in my room/office and use that, you can kind of do indian club exercises with kettleballs as well. I keep another kettleball in an upstairs room in case I feel like doing a short workout.

yh bethaks are really gd too    good for leg strength        i used have one of those metal things that you squeeze with your hand   supposed to be gd for forearms     but i cnt find it now ....

Viper Hand Gripper Forearm Grip Exerciser Strengthen Grip Hand ...

5 minutes ago, puzzled said:

yh bethaks are really gd too    good for leg strength        i used have one of those metal things that you squeeze with your hand   supposed to be gd for forearms     but i cnt find it now ....

Viper Hand Gripper Forearm Grip Exerciser Strengthen Grip Hand ...

I got those plastic handle grippers.

According to Pavel Tsatsouline, (Russian kb, Spetnaz trainer) those plastic ones are for sissies ??

So I have ordered these metal grippers as recommended by the Comrade Pavel from 'Captains of Crush'. Hopefully they will make me more manly ??

8 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

I got those plastic handle grippers.

According to Pavel Tsatsouline, (Russian kb, Spetnaz trainer) those plastic ones are for sissies ??

So I have ordered these metal grippers as recommended by the Comrade Pavel from 'Captains of Crush'. Hopefully they will make me more manly ??

i have similar ones to these   the grip bit is like foam lol     yh metal ones sound more proper and manly  ?

2020 Fingerprints Foam Gripper Hand Muscle Developer Gym Fitness ...

On 3/17/2016 at 6:43 PM, InderjitS said:

Firstly sorry for the cheesy pun!

If someone can shed light onto how they came about I'd be grateful. What does everyone make of them, is the person wearing one any less than those that tie one daily, do we consider them as topis or can they be classified as Dastars?

Well...hats off to you for bringing this up?

• 11 months later...

Hi there,

posting a response many years after the question was posed, but thankful for the opportunity to do so, since it is somewhat of an important topic, especially as it relates to how people see each other within the Sikh community.

Textile development up until the mid-20th century (or mid 1900’s) meant that fabric was either very coarse/thick or ultra fine,  and the latter was/is Mal-Mal or F-74.

As a result, people used to starch their turbans. This made it bigger and clean (yet very light,) by increasing and hardening the layer of the fabric.

This was common amongst all Sikhs, for the most part, and of all backgrounds and castes.

So, you had most Sikhs either wear starched mal-mal or unstarched mal-mal.

While many sub-groups like Artisan workers, farmers or tradespeople from the Sikh community moved to other parts of the world, they took this style of Turban and fabric to the different parts of the world. 

However, in India (and the rest of the world) textiles and manufacturing expertise evolved, resulting in better quality fabrics that didn’t need to be starched.

Consequently, people in Punjab especially, but also other parts of India started to wear full-voile and rubia-voile Turbans.

But people who left India continued to wear the old type of starched mal-mal fabric.

This is why people have different styles of turbans within the mainstream turban (ie, we are not talking about parnas, dumallas or gol dastars, only the layered turban which allows for a fifty in the middle aka Patiala-shahi style.)

• 2 months later...