Learn Gurbani

kaurp

WJKKWJKF

Sadh Sangat Ji,please post some suggestions and links to sources for learning and understanding SHABADS from gurbani,.

I feel very ashamed when sometimes I dont know the complete Shabad sung at GURUDWARA SAHIB.I personally believe we should atleast try to learn all the SHABADS because when you know the SHABADS ,you stay more focussed while listening to kirtan at GURUDWARA SAHIB.

Earlier too I have tried to learn Shabads but I want to do it in a systematic manner this time.This time I want to learn ,understand and imbibe one SHABAD at one time.

Much of the Bani of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji is written in Old Punjabi, a little different from today's. Punjab doesn't have a very extensive written history or literature compared to most other tongues, certainly not one one originating in the time when our Gurus inhabited physical forms. Gurbani is therefore one of the few sources which can help us to understand Old Punjabi - you won't find any books about it.

Read the Bani in English alongside the Gurmukhi so that when you encounter a difficult word, the meaning and translation are at hand. This should also help you to understand those baniaan written in other tongues, like Persian or Brajbasha.

Shabads which are commonly sung in the guradwara can be found in the amrit kirtan which can be downloaded. Finding the meanings of one Shabad at a time lets say daily - concentrate on one particular shabad which you heard. Read the meanings and recite it aa much as you can.

Learning by memory a number of the main shabads helps greatly. Visiting the guradwara frequently will help you keep choosing your new shabad to learn. It is important to keep in mind prema bhagti too. Recite the shabad which appeals to you most. Sing with the tune which you like the most. As with everything this takes time too to reach a place where you feel you can understand almost most of the shabads. Katha with shabads hepps greatly.

Some giani jis recite one shabad only with katha. This helps better as the meaning is easier to understand when you can relate it to the katha character experiences.

It is a general requirement that sikhs memorise a shabad a day. I am surprised that this has not been brought up in any recent forums. Reading a few pages of SGGS Ji daily is also part of this rehet.

WJKKWJKF

Sadh Sangat Ji,please post some suggestions and links to sources for learning and understanding SHABADS from gurbani,.

I feel very ashamed when sometimes I dont know the complete Shabad sung at GURUDWARA SAHIB.I personally believe we should atleast try to learn all the SHABADS because when you know the SHABADS ,you stay more focussed while listening to kirtan at GURUDWARA SAHIB.

Earlier too I have tried to learn Shabads but I want to do it in a systematic manner this time.This time I want to learn ,understand and imbibe one SHABAD at one time.

This can help you build up your vocabulary.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/300210173/An-introduction-to-the-Sacred-Language-of-Sikhs-by-Christopher-Shackle