Really Religious Parents

CharlieBravoTango

So my parents are really religious a long time ago when I was young they weren't religious, but they became religious since my dad got a job, but now my parents are really wacko religious. It's starting to annoy me a lot and I have to pray with them. What do I do? I don't want to cause an argument with my parents over this its just gone too far.

Guest Jacfsing2

I have to pray with them. What do I do? I don't want to cause an argument with my parents over this its just gone too far.

Your parents are asking you to pray with them and it's considered wacko religious? That's not wacko religious, that's simply good parenting, I'm not even sure this is a moderate devotion? Would you prefer to have grown-up in an atheist household, (even moderate Hindus and Christians pray with their friends and family)?

I'd really like you to define "Wacko Religious", since it just looks like faithfully parenting.

Feel yourself lucky enough that you are blessed with caring parents.It is an oppurtunity to save yourlife else at the middle age or old age you will regret that you wasted your precious life.Trust me it s really important to practice religion at an early age cause that makes you stronger,wiser and stable otherwise you get lost in this world and the real purpose of this life you never get that.the only thing that should be of concern is practising "karmkand"in the name of religion.if that is not the case then be thankful to your parents and obey them.

If he isnt ready or simply doesnt want too paht they shouldnt force him, forcing someone to do something just makes them rebel. Even great Sikhs never forced people to do paht with them. But can you clarify what you mean by wacko religious?

I agree, the OP needs to be comfortable too when doing paat, and not forced to go along with it, as this will have a negative him on him.

To the OP, when you pray with them, don't think about your parents, but instead try to focus on what is being recited. If you don't understand it then maybe ask your parents the meanings. Even listening to paat is beneficial for you, but you need to be content inside and not stressed, so think to yourself why you are there.

I would also suggest you mentioning this to your parents, about how you feel and tell them what is affecting you and why. They may help you and guide you on understanding Gurbani.

The thing is parents think they are doing the right thing most of the time, but the method may not be the right one. So it's important also to make them aware if you are not happy, so they can use another method. Rather than not being happy and causing arguments later on from the stress, let them know. You also need to experience Gurbani yourself, as in a post Harsharan Paji has put on.

ONLY EXPERIENCE PROVIDES TRUE KNOWLEDGE

We may spend all our lives praising Wahiguru, but if we do not experience it by ourselves, we can not get Him.

Mere talking or listening does not take us to Him.

It is our "karnee", our sincere efforts, in the form of bhakti, which takes us closer to Him.

Let us face the reality.

Wahiguru is inside us.

But inside ourselves, we pay no attention. We are lost and entangled outside; there where, all is maya ....

That is why our Guru Sahibans, have stressed upon only one true bhakti, which is Nam Bhakti, Nam Simran, Nam Abhyaas, which draws all our attention from outside, and makes us concentrate upon only one eternal Truth, namely Wahiguru.

It is only then, when we experience by ourselves, the bliss of Wahiguru.

That is why, the bani says: "Jin Har japiyaa, se Har hoeeyaa"

This is the only road(Nam Bhakti) which takes us, to His Charan Kamal.

Sat Sree Akal.

From my personal experience I want to share some thoughts.

I think the root of the problem is that we can't just do anything without knowing the cause behind it.I dont know about the rest of the world but the scene in India is that parents force their children to do path and children dont find this act good enough because they dont know the whole concept of religion.So there should be religious education first.parents should introduce religion by telling the basic things about sikhi.what is Sikhi.Why we are supposed to recite Nitnem.unfortunately this is not done in most of the families.

Even today when I am told to do some acts linked to religion I dont like doing those things (eg pouring ghee in jots at some Gurudwaras).the reason for me is I dont know the significance of this act and my brain refuses to do acts blindly.So in your case I would advice you to talk to your parents about it and try to have knowledge of your religion by searching on net.

You can also checkout Basic of Sikhi videos on youtube.I am sure you will be benefitted.

Guest Jacfsing2

I'd really like the OP to reply to this topic if it has something else rather than paht, maybe it could be something else bothering him or her. (They haven't responded to what happened,) if the time Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji for you to start following Gurbani isn't right now, we understand.