Sign in to follow this  
CharlieBravoTango

Really Religious Parents

So my parents are really religious a long time ago when I was young they weren't religious, but they became religious since my dad got a job, but now my parents are really wacko religious. It's starting to annoy me a lot and I have to pray with them. What do I do? I don't want to cause an argument with my parents over this its just gone too far.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Guest Jacfsing2

I have to pray with them. What do I do? I don't want to cause an argument with my parents over this its just gone too far.

Your parents are asking you to pray with them and it's considered wacko religious? That's not wacko religious, that's simply good parenting, I'm not even sure this is a moderate devotion? Would you prefer to have grown-up in an atheist household, (even moderate Hindus and Christians pray with their friends and family)?

I'd really like you to define "Wacko Religious", since it just looks like faithfully parenting.

Feel yourself lucky enough that you are blessed with caring parents.It is an oppurtunity to save yourlife else at the middle age or old age you will regret that you wasted your precious life.Trust me it s really important to practice religion at an early age cause that makes you stronger,wiser and stable otherwise you get lost in this world and the real purpose of this life you never get that.the only thing that should be of concern is practising "karmkand"in the name of religion.if that is not the case then be thankful to your parents and obey them.

• Like 2

If he isnt ready or simply doesnt want too paht they shouldnt force him, forcing someone to do something just makes them rebel. Even great Sikhs never forced people to do paht with them. But can you clarify what you mean by wacko religious?

• Like 1

If he isnt ready or simply doesnt want too paht they shouldnt force him, forcing someone to do something just makes them rebel. Even great Sikhs never forced people to do paht with them. But can you clarify what you mean by wacko religious?

I agree, the OP needs to be comfortable too when doing paat, and not forced to go along with it, as this will have a negative him on him.

To the OP, when you pray with them, don't think about your parents, but instead try to focus on what is being recited. If you don't understand it then maybe ask your parents the meanings. Even listening to paat is beneficial for you, but you need to be content inside and not stressed, so think to yourself why you are there.

I would also suggest you mentioning this to your parents, about how you feel and tell them what is affecting you and why. They may help you and guide you on understanding Gurbani.

The thing is parents think they are doing the right thing most of the time, but the method may not be the right one. So it's important also to make them aware if you are not happy, so they can use another method. Rather than not being happy and causing arguments later on from the stress, let them know. You also need to experience Gurbani yourself, as in a post Harsharan Paji has put on.

ONLY EXPERIENCE PROVIDES TRUE KNOWLEDGE

We may spend all our lives praising Wahiguru, but if we do not experience it by ourselves, we can not get Him.

Mere talking or listening does not take us to Him.

It is our "karnee", our sincere efforts, in the form of bhakti, which takes us closer to Him.

Let us face the reality.

Wahiguru is inside us.

But inside ourselves, we pay no attention. We are lost and entangled outside; there where, all is maya ....

That is why our Guru Sahibans, have stressed upon only one true bhakti, which is Nam Bhakti, Nam Simran, Nam Abhyaas, which draws all our attention from outside, and makes us concentrate upon only one eternal Truth, namely Wahiguru.

It is only then, when we experience by ourselves, the bliss of Wahiguru.

That is why, the bani says: "Jin Har japiyaa, se Har hoeeyaa"

This is the only road(Nam Bhakti) which takes us, to His Charan Kamal.

Sat Sree Akal.

• Like 1

From my personal experience I want to share some thoughts.

I think the root of the problem is that we can't just do anything without knowing the cause behind it.I dont know about the rest of the world but the scene in India is that parents force their children to do path and children dont find this act good enough because they dont know the whole concept of religion.So there should be religious education first.parents should introduce religion by telling the basic things about sikhi.what is Sikhi.Why we are supposed to recite Nitnem.unfortunately this is not done in most of the families.

Even today when I am told to do some acts linked to religion I dont like doing those things (eg pouring ghee in jots at some Gurudwaras).the reason for me is I dont know the significance of this act and my brain refuses to do acts blindly.So in your case I would advice you to talk to your parents about it and try to have knowledge of your religion by searching on net.

You can also checkout Basic of Sikhi videos on youtube.I am sure you will be benefitted.

• Like 1

Guest sat

If your parents dont give you freedom to choose whether or not you want to pray, then that is not in line with sikhi as sikhi teaches freedom of choice.

Guest Jacfsing2

I'd really like the OP to reply to this topic if it has something else rather than paht, maybe it could be something else bothering him or her. (They haven't responded to what happened,) if the time Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji for you to start following Gurbani isn't right now, we understand.

So my parents are really religious a long time ago when I was young they weren't religious, but they became religious since my dad got a job, but now my parents are really wacko religious. It's starting to annoy me a lot and I have to pray with them. What do I do? I don't want to cause an argument with my parents over this its just gone too far.

Brother Charlie,

you judging so harshly your parents, as wacko religious, is offensive.

Come on man, those who gave you life, took care of you when you as a baby were unable of anything...and they did all that with love and care, and today you have grown a bit, you are calling your parents, wacko religious?

That is not fair.

After Wahiguru, one´s parents are one´s best well wishers.

if it was me, and my parents wanted me to anything, I would do it before they told me anything.

You see, nothing in this world can ever pay anyhow, our parents love for us....and we abuse them with such harsh words?

No, no, that is not right.

If they say or tell you for path, it is because they know of you not being fully mature yet, and they want to put you in His hands, and you to strongly hold on Him, before they leave this world.

One can never ever imagine, what parents can feel for their children.

For example, I have a very good and close friend, who has got an 25 year old son, and he keeps repeating him, that even if the whole of sky was full with all the best sweets, even then for him, he was still sweeter, and then every day he keeps on hugging him a thousand times a day, kissing him ...and i do realize, what a child means for his parents, so as for me, what to do one path, even if they doubled it, I will not complain, but please them as much as possible, becasue they have no payable price.

They are not asking you any bad thing, on the contrary, according to the Bani, they want you to slowly and step by step learn to sit in His bhajan bandagee.

First with path, so that, then further on you maybe capable with His chintan dhyan.

Sat Sree Akal.

It takes some time to get used to any routine. The mind will resist and come up with all sorts of excuses especially when it comes to prayer.

Avar kachu mere sang na challe.

Nothing else will go with us to the next world. Naam simran is the only thing which we will be able to carry along with us.

Jithe kithe maenu lae shadhaye

Naam is the only thing which will set us free from all else.

Mangu dhaan thakur naam

Naam is a dhaan - our mind only starts to enjoy naam jap when we are given it by Guru ji as a dhaan.

Reciting some shabad during the day helps to keep the mind better attuned to naam jap later on. Naam jap does not have to be forced and painful. Think of it as a way of just sitting quietly with your parents and getting some peace.

Naam jap with other people and especially as a family has the greatest benefits.

Gurbani calls that time your most luckiest time when you get some time to do some naam jap.

A little adjustment to mental attitude will greatly help.

Lets hope you realise how lucky you are that in this day and age your parents want to sit down with you and pray. That is the greatest deed which anyone can perform according to gurbani.

Sant jana mil bholo Raam sab te utam nirmal kaam

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Topics

• this is some amazing stuff!  how cool is that    i would love to do that    i really like snakes   i think they are one of the most beautiful animals.  i held a big python around my shoulders in India   very beautiful animal  
    • ।ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫ਼ਤਹਿ।  Please read this article by Bhai Manvir singh ji. Very insightful and clears up a lot of confusion.  http://manvirsingh.blogspot.com/2015/11/different-views-on-meat-reflections-on.html?m=1 ਜਉ ਸਭ ਮਹਿ ਏਕੁ ਖੁਦਾਇ ਕਹਤ ਹਉ ਤਉ ਕਿਉ ਮੁਰਗੀ ਮਾਰੈ ||੧||
      “You say that the One Lord is in all, so why do you kill chickens? ||1||” (Prabhaatee Kabeer Ji, Ang 1350) Hukamnama of Guru Hargobind Ji found at Sri Harmandir Sahib, Patna Sahib (published in Hukamname, edited by Gandha Singh), which states:
    • @jkvlondon point taken. I can imagine that tbh. I've already conceded that in hindsight it was a silly thing to do, and I concede again that if I was there actually witnessing it, it most likely would be a different story. Tbh I have seen some cringe or super cheesy sh!t at Amritdhari Doli's. Though not like this. There will always remain a formality between them. I was referring particularly to the fake@ss things - the munde wale taking advantage of the girls side which still goes on albeit not as it did in the days of old. Even the seemingly strong minded folks back down when it comes to their kurms highly unreasonable behaviour. All I'm saying is that ik duje naal pyaar naal milna chaida, jidha bhen bharavan naal mili da. No side should act like the others aafsar and should have the right to speak out. Come to think of it, I was once at a wedding where the munde wale actually literally threw the women at the door out the way and barged in - I was there too because I was a little kid. It was not pleasant and dangerous af. Needless to say we demanded maafi and payment later.
    • https://getpocket.com/explore/item/a-world-without-retirement
    • This is really intriguing was he really the gangu in his past life? Anyone got any  more info on that

Important Information

Terms of Use