It's Getting More Advanced You Know! - My Anecdotes Of My Visit To Punjab

Ranjeet01

Another thing I have noticed is that when more recently emigrated Sikhs go to Punjab for holidays they can be the most arrogant people you can meet and they will lord it over the people in Punjab.

They start feeling superior and act quite aloof.

It is quite interesting to observe the behavioural dynamics.

As a "prahna bar wala", you have nothing to prove and you treat everyone the same and mix and mingle with everyone. For a local Punjabi, it is quite refreshing for them as it can change their perception but on the flip side you got to keep a degree of reservation since you do not want to feel you are taken advantage.

You get asked the weirdest questions such as "how much do you earn", "how much does milk cost?" They skirt around asking indirect questions about emigrating. You ask them if they want go pardesi and they say no.

Yep, I noticed the recently emigrated ones too being Ahankari, making out they been abroad for like 20yrs, when in fact it will be only 5-8yrs or even 2yrs. And the most stupid thing that happened was they tried it with me lol. I was like, "what u on about"! I just looked at them and thought, oh yeah really, carry on with the gappa.

Lol @ how much does milk cost. I got asked how I know to speak Punjabi, and are my parents both Punjabi, is your brother a Gora too lolz. When I asked is my Punjabi not good, I was told "nahi tusi theth Punjabi bolde kitho Sikhi". So how can I be a Gori ?

True about the weirdest questions, but they do it on purpose. One woman was talking to other women, kept going on about how single girls abroad don't get married to guys from India, it's only divorced ones. Then I had to get in and say, actually no, there's plenty that do, but your girls from India, the bad ones, go abroad and marry the guys, then divorce them, to bring their boyfriends over and the same with some guys, they leave the girls there and bring their girlfriends over after. So I told them direct, and to see themselves first, then belittle us abroad. That soon shut her up and the rest were like, "haa, sahi kendi a tu, Ida karna nai chaida, bakian le kam kharab karde".

One of the positives that I have noticed is that there is a segment of men who had cut their hair during the 1990's and early 2000's who have grown their kesh back.

I have also noticed that the consumption of alcohol is not as prevalent as it was before.

You would see some guys get completely off their face, but it seems less so (this is just my observation) this time.

It seems that some people have gone through a complete cycle.

Yes I noticed this too, the younger ones are wearing turbans and it's at the wedding I was at, none of the younger guys drank, but the elder ones did. I attended a wedding at the weekend here and all the young ones were drinking spirits, as well as beer. So there is a difference there. But I guess it depends which pind you belong to or which environment, because there are a lot doing drugs too.

Another thing I have noticed is that when more recently emigrated Sikhs go to Punjab for holidays they can be the most arrogant people you can meet and they will lord it over the people in Punjab.

They start feeling superior and act quite aloof.

It is quite interesting to observe the behavioural dynamics.

As a "prahna bar wala", you have nothing to prove and you treat everyone the same and mix and mingle with everyone. For a local Punjabi, it is quite refreshing for them as it can change their perception but on the flip side you got to keep a degree of reservation since you do not want to feel you are taken advantage.

You get asked the weirdest questions such as "how much do you earn", "how much does milk cost?" They skirt around asking indirect questions about emigrating. You ask them if they want go pardesi and they say no.

The worst part is when you see someone who just left Punjab 2 or 3 years ago finding it difficult to speak Punjabi when they go back to Punjab and show off their new Angreji accented Punjabi. The women do this the most.

That's actually another pertinent point you've raised, Singh Ji.

They don't like being offered advice - no matter how tactfully and respectfully phrased - on situations or issues that will cause them problems or harm, coming from someone in a position of experience. Until they themselves experience the very same problems they were warned about, they just don't want to know. Of course, after what they were warned about has transpired, they sheepishly admit they were in the wrong.

Hit the nail on the head. Try and put forward perfectly logical arguments and reasons why they should not travel abroad leaving behind kith and kin to fend for themselves and that their fellow brothers are living in squalid conditions under bridges still you have more chance of convincing them than having your feet washed by the Pope. They glare right through you, almost as if looking at a Ghostly spirit, then nod like they've been hypnotised at which point the subject changes to something completely different.

Ranjeet01, the washrooms at some Gurdwarey fare no better and the ones at Petrol Stations should be given a wide berth unless one feels the need to catch a nasty bug/bites as a parting gift. Panga is foreigners rarely suffer from Constipation in Punjab, I always take a healthy supply of Imodium in case the need arises, fortunately frequent visits since '99 have fended off the runs.

One of the positives that I have noticed is that there is a segment of men who had cut their hair during the 1990's and early 2000's who have grown their kesh back.

I have also noticed that the consumption of alcohol is not as prevalent as it was before.

You would see some guys get completely off their face, but it seems less so (this is just my observation) this time.

It seems that some people have gone through a complete cycle.

This is happening the world over. Social Media though has a negative impact in certain cases, has been useful for Parchar and the message of Sikhi is reaching people Globally quicker than ever before, it is flourishing and on the rise, bring on Khalsa Raj :biggrin2:.

Hit the nail on the head. Try and put forward perfectly logical arguments and reasons why they should not travel abroad leaving behind kith and kin to fend for themselves and that their fellow brothers are living in squalid conditions under bridges still you have more chance of convincing them than having your feet washed by the Pope. They glare right through you, almost as if looking at a Ghostly spirit, then nod like they've been hypnotised at which point the subject changes to something completely different.

They think you're trying to mess them about, i.e. stop them for gaining the opportunities that our elders had when they emigrated to the West. I don't doubt there's a few devious people over here who'd like to see their relatives wallow in a dead-end existence in Punjab, but most people express their misgivings out of concern. But it has no affect.

Ranjeet01, the washrooms at some Gurdwarey fare no better and the ones at Petrol Stations should be given a wide berth unless one feels the need to catch a nasty bug/bites as a parting gift. Panga is foreigners rarely suffer from Constipation in Punjab, I always take a healthy supply of Imodium in case the need arises, fortunately frequent visits since '99 have fended off the runs.

The phenomena amongst the Millenial Punjabi(generation born late 80's and 90s) demographic is to do their ILETS (English equivalency test) in order to apply for student visas.

This is the main reason why Australia has become very popular in recent years. The English level requirements are lower than the UK and apparently they get PR after 2 years.

And what is that they do in Australia? They drive cabs.

I had one relative who had a good job as a police officer asking these probing questions. I suggested to him that he had a profession, maybe he should see if his profession has a demand in these countries and maybe he should look for a skills based visa, where he would get PR before he steps foot into his country of choice.

He then denied he was looking to move abroad. When I spoke to another relative about him, he told me that it is in fact the police officer wanted to move abroad.

The phenomena amongst the Millenial Punjabi(generation born late 80's and 90s) demographic is to do their ILETS (English equivalency test) in order to apply for student visas.

This is the main reason why Australia has become very popular in recent years. The English level requirements are lower than the UK and apparently they get PR after 2 years.

And what is that they do in Australia? They drive cabs.

I had one relative who had a good job as a police officer asking these probing questions. I suggested to him that he had a profession, maybe he should see if his profession has a demand in these countries and maybe he should look for a skills based visa, where he would get PR before he steps foot into his country of choice.

He then denied he was looking to move abroad. When I spoke to another relative about him, he told me that it is in fact the police officer wanted to move abroad.

ILETS has been around for 10-15 years and it is the course of choice for the educated type as its pretty tough to pass, for Indians wanting to emigrate. Australia is a high wage country well relative to most other countries but the downside can be cost of living like renting, clothes, electrical goods, eating out etc. Living in Sydney/Melbourne or Brisbane, they will have to earn some serious AUDs to live modestly.

ILETS has been around for 10-15 years and it is the course of choice for the educated type as its pretty tough to pass, for Indians wanting to emigrate. Australia is a high wage country well relative to most other countries but the downside can be cost of living like renting, clothes, electrical goods, eating out etc. Living in Sydney/Melbourne or Brisbane, they will have to earn some serious AUDs to live modestly.

A lot of them are now going to Adelaide for this very reason.

Austrialia is going to be the next major Sikh population center rivaling Canada/US/UK. The Sikhs there are still mostly young and unmarried. As soon as they start marrying and having kids their population will double. Add to that, they will probably also sponsor their parents. They are set for serious growth.

Only downside is that since the Sikhs in australia are reletively new they are dealing with a lot of racist Goray.

Guest Jacfsing2

Austrialia is going to be the next major Sikh population center rivaling Canada/US/UK. The Sikhs there are still mostly young and unmarried. As soon as they start marrying and having kids their population will double. Add to that, they will probably also sponsor their parents. They are set for serious growth.Only downside is that since the Sikhs in australia are reletively new they are dealing with a lot of racist Goray.

There are more Sikhs in Malaysia than in Australia.