It's Getting More Advanced You Know! - My Anecdotes Of My Visit To Punjab

Hit the nail on the head. Try and put forward perfectly logical arguments and reasons why they should not travel abroad leaving behind kith and kin to fend for themselves and that their fellow brothers are living in squalid conditions under bridges still you have more chance of convincing them than having your feet washed by the Pope. They glare right through you, almost as if looking at a Ghostly spirit, then nod like they've been hypnotised at which point the subject changes to something completely different.

Ranjeet01, the washrooms at some Gurdwarey fare no better and the ones at Petrol Stations should be given a wide berth unless one feels the need to catch a nasty bug/bites as a parting gift. Panga is foreigners rarely suffer from Constipation in Punjab, I always take a healthy supply of Imodium in case the need arises, fortunately frequent visits since '99 have fended off the runs.

The phenomena amongst the Millenial Punjabi(generation born late 80's and 90s) demographic is to do their ILETS (English equivalency test) in order to apply for student visas.

This is the main reason why Australia has become very popular in recent years. The English level requirements are lower than the UK and apparently they get PR after 2 years.

And what is that they do in Australia? They drive cabs.

I had one relative who had a good job as a police officer asking these probing questions. I suggested to him that he had a profession, maybe he should see if his profession has a demand in these countries and maybe he should look for a skills based visa, where he would get PR before he steps foot into his country of choice.

He then denied he was looking to move abroad. When I spoke to another relative about him, he told me that it is in fact the police officer wanted to move abroad.

• Like 2

The phenomena amongst the Millenial Punjabi(generation born late 80's and 90s) demographic is to do their ILETS (English equivalency test) in order to apply for student visas.

This is the main reason why Australia has become very popular in recent years. The English level requirements are lower than the UK and apparently they get PR after 2 years.

And what is that they do in Australia? They drive cabs.

I had one relative who had a good job as a police officer asking these probing questions. I suggested to him that he had a profession, maybe he should see if his profession has a demand in these countries and maybe he should look for a skills based visa, where he would get PR before he steps foot into his country of choice.

He then denied he was looking to move abroad. When I spoke to another relative about him, he told me that it is in fact the police officer wanted to move abroad.

ILETS has been around for 10-15 years and it is the course of choice for the educated type as its pretty tough to pass, for Indians wanting to emigrate. Australia is a high wage country well relative to most other countries but the downside can be cost of living like renting, clothes, electrical goods, eating out etc. Living in Sydney/Melbourne or Brisbane, they will have to earn some serious AUDs to live modestly.

• Like 1

ILETS has been around for 10-15 years and it is the course of choice for the educated type as its pretty tough to pass, for Indians wanting to emigrate. Australia is a high wage country well relative to most other countries but the downside can be cost of living like renting, clothes, electrical goods, eating out etc. Living in Sydney/Melbourne or Brisbane, they will have to earn some serious AUDs to live modestly.

A lot of them are now going to Adelaide for this very reason.

Austrialia is going to be the next major Sikh population center rivaling Canada/US/UK. The Sikhs there are still mostly young and unmarried. As soon as they start marrying and having kids their population will double. Add to that, they will probably also sponsor their parents. They are set for serious growth.

Only downside is that since the Sikhs in australia are reletively new they are dealing with a lot of racist Goray.

• Like 1
Guest Jacfsing2

Austrialia is going to be the next major Sikh population center rivaling Canada/US/UK. The Sikhs there are still mostly young and unmarried. As soon as they start marrying and having kids their population will double. Add to that, they will probably also sponsor their parents. They are set for serious growth.Only downside is that since the Sikhs in australia are reletively new they are dealing with a lot of racist Goray.

There are more Sikhs in Malaysia than in Australia.

Austrialia is going to be the next major Sikh population center rivaling Canada/US/UK. The Sikhs there are still mostly young and unmarried. As soon as they start marrying and having kids their population will double. Add to that, they will probably also sponsor their parents. They are set for serious growth.

Only downside is that since the Sikhs in australia are reletively new they are dealing with a lot of racist Goray.

In terms of our history, Australia trumps even Canada and California as the first 'western' land our pioneers settled in on a large scale. Unfortunately, as Punjabis have little understanding and regard for preserving history, they have knocked down most of the oldest houses in the villages of doaba and replaced them with pointlessly large modern mega houses. It is the older houses in the villages of doaba that reveal history. Just like how, in 100 years time, our off-spring will notice the number of houses in the villages with mention of 'Canada' engraved. From that, they will learn that, in the past, it was money from Canada that was providing these giant houses. In this regard the one thing about the old houses still standing in those villages that jumps out at you first is the way that the vast majority of them have the words 'Telia' engraved on the front wall, along with a date in the late 1800s. 'Telia', of course, is the Punjabi colloquial word for Australia, and it demonstrates just how many of the Sikhs were settled there in the 1800's.

As for the wider issue being discussed here I will tell you exactly what I say to relatives there that think they are well off and 'rich' because they have giant houses, Range Rovers and the finer things in life. I tell them they are poor. Very poor. No matter how much money you have in the bank you are extremely poor if :

• Outside of the front gates of your house...i.e the society you are part of.... there are mothers dying simply because they cannot afford a £2 medicine
  • Your nation's children die of malnutrition.
  • Your nation's citizens die of diseases eradicated in the rest of the world a century ago.
  • Your nation's citizens die through lack of clean water and basic sanitation

No matter how much money you have in the bank and how nice your house is you are very very poor if you can't even ensure :

• Everyone in your nation has access to free 1st class emergency healthcare
  • Everyone in your country has free 1st class education within 1st class surroundings
  • Everyone in your country is given social security, a poverty safety net, a roof over their heads.

No matter how rich you think you and how nice the car you drive is, you are destitute level poor if:

• Those brand spanking new roads, bridges and shiny buildings are built partly by child labour. Children working hard on building sites rather than being in school.

No matter how democratic and civilised you imagne your society is, you are a very poor man living in a very poor backward country if:

• Your country still has 17th century 'sedition' Laws on it's statute books.

Everyone in India......everyone.....is very very poor. Very poor because they don't understand what true societal richness is.

• Like 1

In terms of our history, Australia trumps even Canada and California as the first 'western' land our pioneers settled in on a large scale. Unfortunately, as Punjabis have little understanding and regard for preserving history, they have knocked down most of the oldest houses in the villages of doaba and replaced them with pointlessly large modern mega houses. It is the older houses in the villages of doaba that reveal history. Just like how, in 100 years time, our off-spring will notice the number of houses in the villages with mention of 'Canada' engraved. From that, they will learn that, in the past, it was money from Canada that was providing these giant houses. In this regard the one thing about the old houses still standing in those villages that jumps out at you first is the way that the vast majority of them have the words 'Telia' engraved on the front wall, along with a date in the late 1800s. 'Telia', of course, is the Punjabi colloquial word for Australia, and it demonstrates just how many of the Sikhs were settled there in the 1800's.

As for the wider issue being discussed here I will tell you exactly what I say to relatives there that think they were well off because they have giant houses, Range Rovers and the finer things in life. I tell them they are poor. Very poor. No matter how much money you have in the bank you are extremely poor if :

• Outside of the front gates of your house there are mothers dying simply because they cannot afford a £2 medicine
  • Your nation's children die of malnutrition.
  • Your nation's citizens die of diseases eradicated in the rest of the world a century ago.
  • Your nation's citizens die through lack of clean water and basic sanitation

No matter how much money you have in the bank and how nice your house is you are very very poor if you can't even ensure :

• Everyone in your nation has access to free emergency healthcare
  • Everyone in your country has free 1st class education within 1st class surroundings
  • Everyone in your country is given social security, a poverty safety net, a roof over their heads.

No matter how rich you think you and how nice the car you drive is, you are destitute level poor if:

• Children, rather than being in school, hard laboured in order to build that road, building etc.

No matter how democratic and civilised the world is around your big home, you are a very poor man living in a very poor backward country if:

• Your country still has 17th century 'sedition' Laws on it's statute books.

Everyone in India......everyone.....is very very poor. Very poor because they don't understand what true societal richness is.

Agree, but a truly poor person is one who lacks the will/icha to jap naam.

• Like 2