Kaur's In Panj Piare Removed Forcefully In Toronto Sikh Day Parade

after reading people's accounts they had prior permission of Panj Piarey and the gurdwara committee agreed to honour then they played hard ball using police to move the girls out of the parade at the actual time. So the committee did not honour the Panj's wish

Waheguru. Panj wish should have been honoured. Bad politics.

Punj pyare can only be 5 males leading traditionally. Sisters can be behind the males.

The tradition of the punj pyare was that 5 men of different castes and backgrounds stood up to defend Sikhi and fight muslim mughul tyranny. Women could have readily stood up to offer their life for Sikhi but none did at the time so it is womens only weakness that they did not become punj pyare at the time Guru ji would have accepted any woman to become one of the punj I am sure. And still to this day a very very very tiny percent of women would be willing to fight and lay down their life for Sikhi because they are taught a very liberal wishy washy Sikhi.

And as a woman we all know women by nature are not warriors they are the physical weaker than men so having them leading at the front would send out the wrong message to enemies of Sikhi that we put our weakest members first to defend Sikhi. So no we should not do that we put our strongest out first. When I was a kid growing up I saw strong singhs as punj pyare and singhs and few singhnia doing gatka martial arts at the front these days I dont see that much gatka from women its mostly men.

And further more If we going to select punj pyare they need to be worthy of the title instead of being sons of committee members or some other non-sikh odd reason.

They need to have achieved something outstanding and noteworthy for Sikhi or the community that should be the selection process.

Punj pyare can only be 5 males leading traditionally. Sisters can be behind the males.

The tradition of the punj pyare was that 5 men of different castes and backgrounds stood up to defend Sikhi and fight muslim mughul tyranny. Women could have readily stood up to offer their life for Sikhi but none did at the time so it is womens only weakness that they did not become punj pyare at the time Guru ji would have accepted any woman to become one of the punj I am sure. And still to this day a very very very tiny percent of women would be willing to fight and lay down their life for Sikhi because they are taught a very liberal wishy washy Sikhi.

And as a woman we all know women by nature are not warriors they are the physical weaker than men so having them leading at the front would send out the wrong message to enemies of Sikhi that we put our weakest members first to defend Sikhi. So no we should not do that we put our strongest out first. When I was a kid growing up I saw strong singhs as punj pyare and singhs and few singhnia doing gatka martial arts at the front these days I dont see that much gatka from women its mostly men.

And further more If we going to select punj pyare they need to be worthy of the title instead of being sons of committee members or some other non-sikh odd reason.

They need to have achieved something outstanding and noteworthy for Sikhi or the community that should be the selection process.

If you want to make it completely authentic, perhaps we should have punj pyareh come from different states, I. E. One Gujurati, one bihari and one from Bangalore (Karnataka).

Also maybe we should have them from different castes so that there is no accusations that Jatts are showing their superiority by stepping up. After all the Panj pyareh came from different castes (like a diversity quota).

But of course, caste does not exist in Sikhi so how can we do this since we should do not believe in caste, yet we are very quick to point out miraculously when one caste dominates but at the same time do not recognise it?

Lets avoid the debate of Panj piyarays should be singhs only or it can be kaurs too. If singhs are there then be happy. If kaurs are in it then also stay happy. Avoid such issues.

This is gross mismanagement. I wouldn't even dream of pulling out someone from the nagar kirtan. To me it sounds like there might be possible friction between 2 groups before the nagar kirtan day. The way management pulled them out from sangat is extremely stupid.

Thats the only reason i never been to any nagarkirtan in canada, its more show up there. Instead i always go to sachepatshah guru granth sahib ji in gurudwara only.

People get ready for nagar kirtan as like they are going for some marriage.

It's changing in the UK too in recent years, at least from my own observations. There seems to be a battle of wits between the newly-emigrated Punjabi population who've settled here in the past decade or so and the long-term arrivals such as the 2nd and 3rd generation Sikhs (and their elders).

It's quite amusing to see each group trying to outdo each other, although the bare pakhand seems to be coming from the former category - that consists of mostly moneh - who seem to think they're in a big-budget Punjabi film. I'm not hating (my post history proves I've defended monehs when necessary), but they're trying to transport their relatively modern "ways" from back home, and it just comes across as very disingenuous and awkward. Brits being Brits tend to avoid conflict and tamasha (they do in my neck of the woods), so there's no overt panga as there seems to be in North America. It'll be interesting to see how things develop over the coming years.

I also have limited going to Nagar Kirtans. In Puratan times no one would dare place a foot in front of the Palki of Guru Sahib, but these days its a free for all and has turned into more of a mela, fashion show and food fest. It truly is amazing to see people feed like it's the first food they have tasted since been starved for a few weeks.

The purpose of the Nagar Kirtan has been forgotten and the committees of course lap it up as it brings in more charavaa and people who seldom visit the Gurdwara push and shove anyone to do matha tek.

This sums it up:

http://dailysikhupdates.com/women-vs-suit-surry-nagar-kirtan/