Sign in to follow this  
singhbj singh

Kaur's In Panj Piare Removed Forcefully In Toronto Sikh Day Parade

Could this not have been done before they set out? In the age of smartphones and immediate video uploads, how does this reflect favourably on us and our claims of parity when it comes to Sikh females? As for the rights and wrongs of having an all-female Panj I genuinely don't know how to approach the situation.

• Like 2

one there were six singhnian but they were not portraying themselves as panj piare as far as I could tell as they were walking six across two holding nishaan sahibs

and two committee vale kicked them out of the parade and then continued to harass them wherever they rejoined ...apparentely they took permission from panj to join the parade beforehand as they had done in years previous

here's the FB of the singhian involved :

https://www.facebook.com/akaal.khalsa.9

one there were six singhnian but they were not portraying themselves as panj piare as far as I could tell as they were walking six across two holding nishaan sahibs

here's the FB of the singhian involved :

https://www.facebook.com/akaal.khalsa.9

Nagar kirtan normally are led by Nishaanchi. As you said they aren't panj so that shouldn't have been a problem. As far I can see the Nishaanchi are behind the bibiya and behind them are the panj pyare who are in front of palaki sahib.

As I mentioned earlier, it's really messed up and not really good management 'at the end of the day'.

Nagar kirtan normally are led by Nishaanchi. As you said they aren't panj so that shouldn't have been a problem. As far I can see the Nishaanchi are behind the bibiya and behind them are the panj pyare who are in front of palaki sahib.

As I mentioned earlier, it's really messed up and not really good management 'at the end of the day'.

after reading people's accounts they had prior permission of Panj Piarey and the gurdwara committee agreed to honour then they played hard ball using police to move the girls out of the parade at the actual time. So the committee did not honour the Panj's wish

after reading people's accounts they had prior permission of Panj Piarey and the gurdwara committee agreed to honour then they played hard ball using police to move the girls out of the parade at the actual time. So the committee did not honour the Panj's wish

Waheguru. Panj wish should have been honoured. Bad politics.

• Like 1

Punj pyare can only be 5 males leading traditionally. Sisters can be behind the males.

The tradition of the punj pyare was that 5 men of different castes and backgrounds stood up to defend Sikhi and fight muslim mughul tyranny. Women could have readily stood up to offer their life for Sikhi but none did at the time so it is womens only weakness that they did not become punj pyare at the time Guru ji would have accepted any woman to become one of the punj I am sure. And still to this day a very very very tiny percent of women would be willing to fight and lay down their life for Sikhi because they are taught a very liberal wishy washy Sikhi.

And as a woman we all know women by nature are not warriors they are the physical weaker than men so having them leading at the front would send out the wrong message to enemies of Sikhi that we put our weakest members first to defend Sikhi. So no we should not do that we put our strongest out first. When I was a kid growing up I saw strong singhs as punj pyare and singhs and few singhnia doing gatka martial arts at the front these days I dont see that much gatka from women its mostly men.

And further more If we going to select punj pyare they need to be worthy of the title instead of being sons of committee members or some other non-sikh odd reason.

They need to have achieved something outstanding and noteworthy for Sikhi or the community that should be the selection process.

• Like 1

Punj pyare can only be 5 males leading traditionally. Sisters can be behind the males.

The tradition of the punj pyare was that 5 men of different castes and backgrounds stood up to defend Sikhi and fight muslim mughul tyranny. Women could have readily stood up to offer their life for Sikhi but none did at the time so it is womens only weakness that they did not become punj pyare at the time Guru ji would have accepted any woman to become one of the punj I am sure. And still to this day a very very very tiny percent of women would be willing to fight and lay down their life for Sikhi because they are taught a very liberal wishy washy Sikhi.

And as a woman we all know women by nature are not warriors they are the physical weaker than men so having them leading at the front would send out the wrong message to enemies of Sikhi that we put our weakest members first to defend Sikhi. So no we should not do that we put our strongest out first. When I was a kid growing up I saw strong singhs as punj pyare and singhs and few singhnia doing gatka martial arts at the front these days I dont see that much gatka from women its mostly men.

And further more If we going to select punj pyare they need to be worthy of the title instead of being sons of committee members or some other non-sikh odd reason.

They need to have achieved something outstanding and noteworthy for Sikhi or the community that should be the selection process.

If you want to make it completely authentic, perhaps we should have punj pyareh come from different states, I. E. One Gujurati, one bihari and one from Bangalore (Karnataka).

Also maybe we should have them from different castes so that there is no accusations that Jatts are showing their superiority by stepping up. After all the Panj pyareh came from different castes (like a diversity quota).

But of course, caste does not exist in Sikhi so how can we do this since we should do not believe in caste, yet we are very quick to point out miraculously when one caste dominates but at the same time do not recognise it?

• Like 1

I dont understand why its mandatory all 5P be male, because the original were all male.. In that case lets give up everything of this modern world and live EXACTLY how the Gurus and Singhs of old times lived.