Is 'halal' Meat Really Halal?

Balkaar

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,

There are over 8000 fried chicken shops in London alone, and a substantial majority of these are Halal. Taken alongside the countless other Pakistani/Middle Eastern restaurants and grubby little kebab houses, this comfortably places the number of Halal eateries in the capital at over 10,000. Each of these traffics in the meat of hundreds of animals daily, amounting to millions of creatures killed every day.

Which is why the logistics of the Halal industry make such little sense to me. Dhabihah slaughter is a demanding and time consuming process. There is no way in hell that every single one of the millions of animals slaughtered in Halal abattoirs each day are killed in accordance with Islamic Law. They don't have enough manpower and the day doesn't have enough hours in it. I'd be surprised if one in ten animals were killed in this way. This idea seems so simple and obvious that I can't understand how it never seems to have occurred to any of this country's 3 million Muslims. Is this an instance of selective intelligence? Do they not know, or do they suspect something is amiss but not care?

None of this is to say that Sikhs should start eating it - even if it isn't Halal, this sort of mass-produced factory slaughtered meat, khulla maas, is not even close to being jhatka (the only meat permitted to Sikhs by Akaal Takhat).

Guest Jacfsing2

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,

There are over 8000 fried chicken shops in London alone, and a substantial majority of these are Halal. Taken alongside the countless other Pakistani/Middle Eastern restaurants and grubby little kebab houses, this comfortably places the number of Halal eateries in the capital at over 10,000. Each of these traffics in the meat of hundreds of animals daily, amounting to millions of creatures killed every day.

Which is why the logistics of the Halal industry make such little sense to me. Dhabihah slaughter is a demanding and time consuming process. There is no way in hell that every single one of the millions of animals slaughtered in Halal abattoirs each day are killed in accordance with Islamic Law. They don't have enough manpower and the day doesn't have enough hours in it. I'd be surprised if one in ten animals were killed in this way. This idea seems so simple and obvious that I can't understand how it never seems to have occurred to any of this country's 3 million Muslims. Is this an instance of selective intelligence? Do they not know, or do they suspect something is amiss but not care?

None of this is to say that Sikhs should start eating it - even if it isn't Halal, this sort of mass-produced factory slaughtered meat, khulla maas, is not even close to being jhatka (the only meat permitted to Sikhs by Akaal Takhat).

It's a business tactic to win Muslim customers, Muslims are a huge percentage of the population, (and the fact that most of Europe has some love-hate relationship with them). Halal is basically killing an animal from the neck-up, (jhatka is from the neck-down), so these "Halal" groups got a check for no Daya.

There is no way in hell that every single one of the millions of animals slaughtered in Halal abattoirs each day are killed in accordance with Islamic Law. They don't have enough manpower and the day doesn't have enough hours in it. I'd be surprised if one in ten animals were killed in this way.

You're reading it wrong. What halal means in modern times is essentially an assembly-line style abattoir with the prayers being played via loudspeaker, whilst the butcher slaughters the animals systematically.

They have scholars who make judgements regarding the 'halalness' of the assembly, and occasionally, an organisation previously deemed to be producing halal will have their 'certification' revoked for some perceived lapse (that's why you have these 'monitoring' organisations).

In this way, it's easy to meet the demands of the market.

WJKK WJKF

The halal meat industry is a joke here in the uk anyway. The funny thing is most Muslims won't eat halal meat done in uk slaughter houses due to British Laws stating that the animal has to be stunned via a bolt gun before slaughter which is against the halal slaughter method because they believe the animal should be not stunned.

Sad thing is, halal meat is in uk schools and hospitals without anyone really knowing so it's on a national scale even where there is a Muslim minority.

WJKK WJKF

The halal meat industry is a joke here in the uk anyway. The funny thing is most Muslims won't eat halal meat done in uk slaughter houses due to British Laws stating that the animal has to be stunned via a bolt gun before slaughter which is against the halal slaughter method because they believe the animal should be not stunned.

Sad thing is, halal meat is in uk schools and hospitals without anyone really knowing so it's on a national scale even where there is a Muslim minority.

what I cannot understand why can't they say ok we will let our kids have the veggie and therefore halal option just like the rest of us judaism included it is only five meals after all...cost savings all round and less hassle . My daughter has to carry a colour coded tray was green for veggie then somehow the halal option became the green tray creating havoc ...there are four colours red, blue, green , yellow (non dairy, non- allergenic)

what I cannot understand why can't they say ok we will let our kids have the veggie and therefore halal option just like the rest of us judaism included it is only five meals after all...cost savings all round and less hassle . My daughter has to carry a colour coded tray was green for veggie then somehow the halal option became the green tray creating havoc ...there are four colours red, blue, green , yellow (non dairy, non- allergenic)

WJKK WJKF

I think the reason is because Muslims do want to eventually achieve a majority in numbers around the world.

The halal food method was used in our gurus times where the moghuls only legally permitted halal slaughter- another reason why sikhs still carried out jhatka in defiance of that law.

Is your kids school in Muslim majority or minority?

WJKK WJKF

I think the reason is because Muslims do want to eventually achieve a majority in numbers around the world.

The halal food method was used in our gurus times where the moghuls only legally permitted halal slaughter- another reason why sikhs still carried out jhatka in defiance of that law.

Is your kids school in Muslim majority or minority?

We should make sure that ALL sikhs no matter what state of their sikhi stop eating at Halal places , this was hukam of Guru ji because that is how the conversion process is sealed if everyone is eating halal/kuttha all they have to do is get people to say/read.write shahada and it's done. It is to ease their conversion process

We should make sure that ALL sikhs no matter what state of their sikhi stop eating at Halal places , this was hukam of Guru ji because that is how the conversion process is sealed if everyone is eating halal/kuttha all they have to do is get people to say/read.write shahada and it's done. It is to ease their conversion process

WJKK WJKF

100% right!