Why Don't We Have Female Saints In Our Panth?

Guest Kaur

We use the Punjabism and the patriachial card way too much to explain why there aren't there many women doing this or women doing that.

The reality is that the majority of women prefer to be led rather than lead and the ones that do not like to openly lead, they prefer to do things covertly or via proxy through the male.

That might be true when it comes to social conditioning goes but after spiritual awakening its totally different ball game as its free of influence from any kinda conditioning- its fully unconditioned open and receptive to higher reality. Whether we admit it or not there are enough females with spiritual awakening but cant overtly do parchar because of excessive patriarchal influence.

If we view women and men as equal, why is it only ever male Saints in the Panth and never female? Yes we have certain female Gursikhs that you can look up to, but why never a Saint? Can we only look up to women as our sisters, daughters and mothers? Is it not possible then for females to open their Dasam Duar?

Just because you have not met one does not mean that they do not exist.

When we went to Manikaran sahib we were told about the lady who lives there, she is almost like a sant. That night we heard the kirtan of the lady who usually accompanies her and it was more than enchanting. When you yourself are devoted to Waheguru from deep inside - only then you will be shown the true wealth which the Lord possesses. Until then, all is empty talk.

Do not try to assess Waheguru's devotees - aim to become one to your best efforts.

That might be true when it comes to social conditioning goes but after spiritual awakening its totally different ball game as its free of influence from any kinda conditioning- its fully unconditioned open and receptive to higher reality. Whether we admit it or not there are enough females with spiritual awakening but cant overtly do parchar because of excessive patriarchal influence.

I think that is a bit of a cop out.

Example is Basics of Sikhi, they struggle to get support of gurdwaras and it is started by a male (Jagraj Singh), yet he successfully done parchaar. I don't see these "patriarchs" stopping from doing anything.

If these "spiritually awake" women were truly above this "social conditioning", they would not bother with these "patriarchs" and so do parchaar regardless.

I think that is a bit of a cop out.

Example is Basics of Sikhi, they struggle to get support of gurdwaras and it is started by a male (Jagraj Singh), yet he successfully done parchaar. I don't see these "patriarchs" stopping from doing anything.

If these "spiritually awake" women were truly above this "social conditioning", they would not bother with these "patriarchs" and so do parchaar regardless.

And what makes you think- they don't? From their side, they do but from wider perspective we would hope their parchar is gone mainstream but thats not likely the case. This is not my assessment , this is frank assessment from very learned samparda singh and researcher- kamalpreet singh who have spent many years studying old orders.

He writes in the thread following:

http://www.sikhawareness.com/topic/16569-~~thread-dedicated-to-sikh-woman-parcharikhssants-~~/

It has been years since i posted anything on this site but I saw this topic and had to say something.

There are lots of females with great avasthas out there. I saw a few whilst in India this year. Alot of them are kept in the background because of the massoganist mindset people have in the punjab.

There was a Gursikh Bibi at Guru Ka Mahal in Amritsar doing seva at the shoe stand, you could tell from speaking to her that her jeevani was uch koti, sweet words nimarta and constant bhagti was amazing.

Best of all if you want to see women with great spiritual avasthas can i suggest that one takes a visit to Bhai Salo Ji's Toba in Amritsar, not more then a kilometer from Darbar Sahib. The Gurdwara is prodominantly by woman, their seva and bhagti is out of this world and you can feel the spiritual vibrations from them. I spoke to a few of the Gursikhs and was so moved that other then meeting Sant Giani Mohan Singh Ji Bhindrawalae these ladies were of the highest avasthas I met on this occaision.

Anyone gets a chance please go and see the simple Gurughar with no golak and the Toba itself.

He also writes - i quote:

This is an interesting thread, the problem we have is the view of women in Sikhi. Out of the Puratan Sampardas you will never get a female Sant in the Nihangs, Sewapanthis or Udasis because of their view towards women and Maya. The Sants are found in the Nirmala deras mostly. Modern day groups have done alot to try and readdress this balance with alot more women coming to the forefron

On one hand, the question is posed that Patriarchy prevents women from parchaar yet the reality is women are doing parchaar regardless of this perceived "patriarchy" that exist as shown by Kamalpreet Singh's findings.

The question also arises is why does a Sant require permission from a Sampradas, is Sikhi not been greater and wider than a particular group of Sikhs?

The question also arises is why does a Sant require permission from a Sampradas, is Sikhi not been greater and wider than a particular group of Sikhs?

Good question, but we all know the reality of sampardas, groups and its hierarchy deep rooted in traditions- anything or anyone coming up anything out of norm -traditions met with lot of resistance all in the name of keeping up "maryada" so to speak. These days sadly traditions in samparda or groups trumps all including gurbani non dual essence message and exceptions.

Guest Satwinder Singh

Dear all,

Sat Sree Akal.

I think to arise this question, is like argunig over Guru Jee´s Hukum.

It is by His Mauj, whom He puts before us as Saints, Gurmukhs.... So questioning Him, is a full open demostration of our manmukhta.

We moorakhs, think in one way, we even take ruhaniyat as politics,,, we shamelesly ask why, there are not more women?

We think, having saints as men or women is like giving votes to this or that party. we are so narrow minded and dumb, that we want to see His Hukum, within the parameteres of our limited vision and thus mindly wishes or desires....

The more the time passes, the more we go farther and farther away from sikhee, by limiting ourselves with outer maya , because we fail to understand Gurmat.

Such a pity, such inmense spiritual wealth in sikhee left for us by Guru Sahibans, and we are looking and paying attention at lifeless stones, and arguing over them....

Khushdev Singh Bhogal presents an insightful and inspirational interview with Mata Baljit Kaur Khalsa, founder of the Shree Guru Nanak Yog Mission.

We learn about her upbringing in a strict Skh household and how her life changed after marriage. With all of this going on, she learnt how to deal with the complexities of life, living and truly practising the ideas and teachings of the Sikh Dharam.

Years later, she is well known all over the world, for organising and delivering meditation and positive thinking sessions. These are delivered to audiences in the early hours of the morning and are a life changing experience for many that attend.

You can learn more about the mission by visitting: www.ShreeGuruNanakYogMission.com

Please watch and share this link with your friends.