sitar lessons online

DhadiMania

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Bhaji, I can tell you're keen, which is really good. As I gather you've just had a few introductory lessons yet? If this is the first instrument you've learnt to play (apart from our ultimate instrument- the human voice!), then it's excellent if you're 'in sur' i.e. in tune already. Mastering this, especially with a stringed instrument, is a long process. One must continue practicing sargams i.e. scales regularly. Also, do you know the difference between shudh, komal and teebar(Ma) i.e. sharps and flats svars? It may just be that you're confusing the frets!

Apart from this, getting the exact tonal quality will come- later you should learn how to pull the strings. That way, you can play svars that sound between the conventional suraan on a baja! It takes a trained ear to recognise this. Get advice from your teacher too. Do you learn in a group? If you can, practice with someone. I have found that this helps to keep up the momentum and you also encourage one another.

Back to your specific question though..hehehee...the above was just my personal experience, and what I feel you need at this stage. However, I do remember something about that London music college proposing online tutorials? That would be really cool..it would defo help me. My sitar's been sitting in its box (looks like a coffin- as I was told to my amusement by the bus driver!) for a few months now...I'm busier with my dilrubaa nowadays.

Maaybe you could search for The Beetles song (did they do videos back then?) where Ravi Shankar famously accompanies them!

Just remeber...PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT.

Good luck!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Bhaji, I can tell you're keen, which is really good
thank you jio, i do want to play this. i know this is so sad, but the day after my first lesson (last tuesday) i had a dream i was playing the sitar :wub: , hanji i know... sad. but hey, if you wanna learn, what you expect?
As I gather you've just had a few introductory lessons yet?

only had 2, from the famous balwinder rangila college (some teachers came over from india to leicester)

If this is the first instrument you've learnt to play (apart from our ultimate instrument- the human voice!), then it's excellent if you're 'in sur' i.e. in tune already.
my prof does it for me ji.
Also, do you know the difference between shudh, komal and teebar(Ma) i.e. sharps and flats svars? It may just be that you're confusing the frets!

all i learnt was sa re ga ma and i cant remember the others, but i know where they are (the first string).

Do you learn in a group?

i am the only one in my group on tuesdays (i have no idea if anyone plays it on other days). theres a load of bibiyan on the vajaa singing kirtan, (and one man), and all the kids are on the tabla, and i am the only one with sitar. i will try and get some books from dtf on how to play the sitar ji.

one disadvantage is, i havent got my own sitar yet, my gran is going pakistan in the yatra and i have asked her to get me a sitar from there.

gustaphi maaf

ask ur prof where vaaja came from, where it originated from, when and y the sikhs seem to be obbsessed with it.

ask wat the difference with vaaja and raaag kirtan using traditional instruments.

ask ur prof where vaaja came from, where it originated from

that, das can tell you ji, shehat aap nu patha ji, the vajaa came from germany. it was brought over by the british at around when britian forged relations with india in i think late 17th century (so around King George III time). many are obsessed with it because of the fact its alot easier to learn, unlike stringed instruments, vajaa takes (i think) a tenth of that time to learn vajaa (so you can pick it up quickly). its also light to pick up, unlike taus (or stringed instruments) the vajaa has good mobility.

gustaphi maaf