Global Warming Greater Threat Than Terrorism

http://www.dnaindia.com/scitech/report-global-warming-john-kerry-sees-looming-climate-catastrophe-after-arctic-visit-2225350

"There is no mistaking that we are contributing to climate change, we human beings have choices that can undo the damage," said U.S Secretary of State John Kerry.
Kerry made his first visit to this part of the Arctic to witness the effects of climate changes and press the need to implement the Paris climate accord. He has called it "the world's most fearsome weapon of mass destruction".Two developments in recent days show the magnitude of the challenge. For the first time in 4 million years, levels of carbon dioxide - a heat-trapping gas produced by burning fossil fuels - hit 400 parts per million in Antarctica, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
Last week, temperatures in Greenland's capital hit a record 24.8 degrees Celsius (76.6 Fahrenheit) for a single day in June, according to records dating back to 1958. Worldwide, 2016 has set repeated monthly records after a record warm 2015.
Temperatures there are now between six to 11 degrees warmer than normal, said Jan-Gunner Winther, director of the Norwegian Polar Institute, who wonders whether the changes signal a tipping point.
"We have more questions than answers," says Winther, "We are in the midst of a change that we have no comparison within history because it is so much more rapid," he said.

Global warming is certainly real, but I'm skeptical about how much of a 'threat' it poses. I wasn't yet born in the 1970's when there was all that end-days alarmism about global cooling, but my parents told me some interesting things. This phenomenon also benefited from the consensus of scientists and experts who agreed it was a serious threat, and yet now in 2016 few people have even heard of it. It's apparently no longer a cause for concern because the world is now warming, not cooling.

The history of climate is one of periodic increases and decreases in temperature. The world warmed up quite a bit in the period from around 900AD to 1200AD [known as the medieval warm period] and was subsequently cooled down in a period known as the Little Ice Age. This was before cars and agriculture and modern livestock farming, the pumping of greenhouse gases en-masse into the atmosphere. There is no way to prove that humans and their activities are solely responsible for the current increases in global temperature, or that it isn't yet another one of these recurring, naturally-occuring fluctuations in climate.

People want to believe that global warming is somehow their fault because it confirms them in their vain belief that humans are the masters of nature. They refuse to believe that some things are just out of their hands.

Global warming is certainly real, but I'm skeptical about how much of a 'threat' it poses. I wasn't yet born in the 1970's when there was all that end-days alarmism about global cooling, but my parents told me some interesting things. This phenomenon also benefited from the consensus of scientists and experts who agreed it was a serious threat, and yet now in 2016 few people have even heard of it. It's apparently no longer a cause for concern because the world is now warming, not cooling.

The history of climate is one of periodic increases and decreases in temperature. The world warmed up quite a bit in the period from around 900AD to 1200AD [known as the medieval warm period] and was subsequently cooled down in a period known as the Little Ice Age. This was before cars and agriculture and modern livestock farming, the pumping of greenhouse gases en-masse into the atmosphere. There is no way to prove that humans and their activities are solely responsible for the current increases in global temperature, or that it isn't yet another one of these recurring, naturally-occuring fluctuations in climate.

People want to believe that global warming is somehow their fault because it confirms them in their vain belief that humans are the masters of nature. They refuse to believe that some things are just out of their hands.

Dear Veer

I live in Punjab and the summers here have been getting warmer with each year passing. This summer has been very warm and if this trend continues and it gets another 1.5- 2 degree celcius warmer, crops will fail in Punjab.

What Would A Global Warming Increase Of 1.5 Degrees Be Like?

Dear Veer

I live in Punjab and the summers here have been getting warmer with each year passing. This summer has been very warm and if this trend continues and it gets another 1.5- 2 degree celcius warmer, crops will fail in Punjab.

What Would A Global Warming Increase Of 1.5 Degrees Be Like?

That is unfortunate but it is unavoidable Singh ji, unless the Punjabis can take back control of their waters.

That is unfortunate but it is unavoidable Singh ji, unless the Punjabis can take back control of their waters.

and stop growing so much rice the soil is getting hammered and this thirsty crop is really not something that can continue to be cultivated on the plains the way it has , switching to a no-dig organic model with be better to revive the soil and retain valuable moisture

and stop growing so much rice the soil is getting hammered and this thirsty crop is really not something that can continue to be cultivated on the plains the way it has , switching to a no-dig organic model with be better to revive the soil and retain valuable moisture

Agreed, so much land taken or ruined up by a crop Punjabis hardly even eat themselves.