genie

What was Guru Ji's rational behind the commandment Sikh daughters should only be given to Sikhs for marriage?

1 hour ago, Sukhvirk76 said:

Firstly I don't understand the term 'interfaith' as being congruent with my understanding of Sikhi. I understand (and I may well be wrong) that EVERYTHING emanates and is created by  'ek oankaar' and that by not accepting that one doesn't accept the creative form 'Akaal'. To defend my view, as you say, or support my view/assertion, as I may, is the immutability of "ek oankaar". I think 'Mool mantar' is the very essence of Sikhi as expressed by guru nanak ji expresses this.

I have yet to be given any evidence that gurbani proscribed what you call 'interfaith' marriage. I am open minded and look forward to being corrected.

Sukh

logically if one partner does the diametrically opposite things to gurbani's teachings then they are not following sikhi and their behaviour is NOT the same as a Gursikh someome who IS following Guru jis hukham. There is no meeting point ...they are walking away from each other and also Guru ji. Sikhi is simple do it and be a sikh , don't do it and you stop being sikh

• Like 1

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
9 minutes ago, Sukhvirk76 said:

As far as I can tell your quote says nothing about interfaith marriage.  I provided one quote outlining my understanding of the oneness of everything  unequivocally emanating from 'ek'. Please provide me with a gurbani quote that proscribes 'interfaith marriage'

there is too much gurbani to quote ...we are told don't do sunnat, pray to ka'aba, tomb worship, remove rom from body Hijamat, eat Ritually killed meat Halal, Not to believe in superstitions of astrological charts, charms, spells, the hindu caste system, sacred threads, idol worship, pollution, belief in 33 million devtey/devis , we are told the woman has equal nature (that alone goes against most of the world faiths). Following gurbani means there is no point of concensus on which to base marriage . In fact Marriage in all other faiths is binding a woman to a man like some form of chattel good which only has value in bringing forth the next generation. This is not the sikh view which is the marriage of two souls to Akal Purakh Through the guidance of the Guru. Again if you don't follow the Guru ji you are not married 

Edited by jkvlondon
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Sukhvirk76 said:

Please my friend choose just one example and share with me the reference in Gurbani. You have suggested that their are many many to choose from I am just looking for one example you would be doing me a great service and I would be forever grateful.

Humbly

Sukh

Go and read 1st paragraph of lavan (anand karaj) it says to make the guru the centre of ur life and meditate on gurus name and worship the guru only. How can u do this, if u r a christian, whos guru is jesus, muslim whos guru is mohammed, a hindu (who have no guru) and take lavan? By bowing down and circulating around guru, u r agreeing to a contract with guru ramdas ji. U cannot break that contract 2 hrs later wen u go n marry in a church.

Rather than asking for proof like a kid, u just like other atheistic communist 2minute sikhs havnt even bothered reading the actual prayers which r involved in the anand karaj itself.

Watch this.

• Like 1

On 12 September 2016 at 5:32 PM, Sukhvirk76 said:

I don't promote interfaith marriage. .i just don't see your issue. My beloved sikhi is a broad beautiful thing. . Not limited by narrow mindedness. . 

ik oNkaar
There is Only One God
Sat Naam
Truth is His Name
kartaa purakh nirbh-a-o nirvair akaal moorat
He is the Creator, Protector, Without Fear, No Enmity, The First Entity,
ajoonee saibhN gur parsaad. jap.
Never born, Self-perpetuating; With the Guru’s grace: Recite!
aad sach jugaad sach.
True in the beginning, True Through the Ages,
hai bhee sach naanak hosee bhee sach.
True even now and says Nanak will be True in the future

Listen to the Laavan Bani and  reflect on what the Bani says. You don't need to get uptight about the whole thing. You are annoying. The good thing is that it has English translation.  Read the  Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji too for extra blessings. You don't  have to listen to all and sundry for different interpretations of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.  Different people will give you their own interpretations. Do your own khoj, don't let them confuse you.  They are not the custodians of Gurus' teachings, we all are. You can also buy shabdarth version of the SGGS.

Edited by kangw

4 minutes ago, Sukhvirk76 said:

Thanks for your kind words, I really don't think I'm asking for very much..  Please provide me with a reference to gurbani where it is proscribed.. Can you please provide me with the text you have read so that I can refer to it, study and learn from it.  To progress this conversation could you please supply me with the source reference and any translation you are using. This will help us understand whether in the first instance we can be sure to be talking about the same thing. I am not looking for for 'evidence' as you say but for your assertion to be qualified I would say it is pretty standard practice to provide references. I have the greatest respect for Guru Granth Sahib Ji and would never wish to misinterpret the divine words nor accuse any one else of. I think rather than make judgements about me let's go through the text you are using and let's talk about it. I think we are getting closer you have referred me to first laava can you please illustrate to me how the bani here proscribes interfaith marriage.

Right.....so having told u where it is written, u STILL cant force urself to simply google translations? U really need to b babysat thru this? Ridiculous, u probably cant bring urself to the truth and realisation.

ਹਰਿ ਪਹਿਲੜੀ ਲਾਵ ਪਰਵਿਰਤੀ ਕਰਮ ਦ੍ਰਿੜਾਇਆ ਬਲਿ ਰਾਮ ਜੀਉ ॥

Har Pehilarree Laav Paravirathee Karam Dhrirraaeiaa Bal Raam Jeeo ||

हरि पहिलड़ी लाव परविरती करम द्रिड़ाइआ बलि राम जीउ ॥

In the first round of the marriage ceremony, the Lord sets out His Instructions for performing the daily duties of married life.

ਬਾਣੀ ਬ੍ਰਹਮਾ ਵੇਦੁ ਧਰਮੁ ਦ੍ਰਿੜਹੁ ਪਾਪ ਤਜਾਇਆ ਬਲਿ ਰਾਮ ਜੀਉ ॥

Baanee Brehamaa Vaedh Dhharam Dhrirrahu Paap Thajaaeiaa Bal Raam Jeeo ||

बाणी ब्रहमा वेदु धरमु द्रिड़हु पाप तजाइआ बलि राम जीउ ॥

Instead of the hymns of the Vedas to Brahma, embrace the righteous conduct of Dharma, and renounce sinful actions.

ਧਰਮੁ ਦ੍ਰਿੜਹੁ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵਹੁ ਸਿਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਦ੍ਰਿੜਾਇਆ ॥

Dhharam Dhrirrahu Har Naam Dhhiaavahu Simrith Naam Dhrirraaeiaa ||

धरमु द्रिड़हु हरि नामु धिआवहु सिम्रिति नामु द्रिड़ाइआ ॥

Meditate on the Lord's Name; embrace and enshrine the contemplative remembrance of the Naam.

ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਗੁਰੁ ਪੂਰਾ ਆਰਾਧਹੁ ਸਭਿ ਕਿਲਵਿਖ ਪਾਪ ਗਵਾਇਆ ॥

Sathigur Gur Pooraa Aaraadhhahu Sabh Kilavikh Paap Gavaaeiaa ||

सतिगुरु गुरु पूरा आराधहु सभि किलविख पाप गवाइआ ॥

Worship and adore the Guru, the Perfect True Guru, and all your sins shall be dispelled.

ਸਹਜ ਅਨੰਦੁ ਹੋਆ ਵਡਭਾਗੀ ਮਨਿ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਮੀਠਾ ਲਾਇਆ ॥

Sehaj Anandh Hoaa Vaddabhaagee Man Har Har Meethaa Laaeiaa ||

सहज अनंदु होआ वडभागी मनि हरि हरि मीठा लाइआ ॥

By great good fortune, celestial bliss is attained, and the Lord, Har, Har, seems sweet to the mind.

ਜਨੁ ਕਹੈ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਲਾਵ ਪਹਿਲੀ ਆਰੰਭੁ ਕਾਜੁ ਰਚਾਇਆ ॥੧॥

Jan Kehai Naanak Laav Pehilee Aaranbh Kaaj Rachaaeiaa ||1||

जनु कहै नानकु लाव पहिली आर्मभु काजु रचाइआ ॥१॥

Servant Nanak proclaims that, in this, the first round of the marriage ceremony, the marriage ceremony has begun. ||1||

ਹਰਿ ਦੂਜੜੀ ਲਾਵ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਮਿਲਾਇਆ ਬਲਿ ਰਾਮ ਜੀਉ ॥

Sukhvirk76     10

• Sukhvirk76
  • Members
  • 59 posts

Thank you. I appreciate the link and comments. I can only apologise for being annoying unfortunately for me it appears to be about the only thing I'm any good at.

I didn't mean it in a bad way. Good luck with your khoj.

Edited by kangw

Anyone else see the pattern that I can? ? Daal ch Kuch kala lagda. 

Mircha Baut a, par thorka jalgea. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, simran345 said:

Anyone else see the pattern that I can? ? Daal ch Kuch kala lagda. 

Mircha Baut a, par thorka jalgea. 

i dont even know, y i even bothered tbh.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sukhvirk76 said:

1. Could you explain why "broad beautiful" is a incongruous as a characteristic Sikhi?

the path is narrow and specific , it may be beautiful but only after dedicating one's all to it ... it's not empty headnodding  but from the heart/soul

3. I humbly request that you may share with me your thoughts as to how I am confused.

you are not humble and certainly not open to learning anything 

I thank you in advance. I believe that It is with gur-prasad that truth is revealed. And I am hungry.

you realise that was not funny at all

gurparsad is WaheGuru's kirpa/grace  not Karah Parshad .

35 minutes ago, pardesanbibbi2 said:

Karl Marx
Karl Marx 001.jpg

Karl Marx, the great German philosopher says: 'Religion is the opium/opiate of the people/masses!'  

This is a very powerful statement, if you understand this, half your problem has been solved. 

Karl Marx viewed religion as a social control used to maintain status quo in a given society.

Religion is also a mechanism for social control. "Control" is the keyword here. I think,  his theory applies to every single religion as well as society. It has to, because, he was a great thinker and a philosopher!  When Guru Nanak came to this world religion was the monopoly of the Hindu priests. They controlled the masses with superstitions and black magic. They considered themselves to be the true followers of Hinduism. Satti was the norm. You are arguing with pupils from Kindergarten!

•  

Source: Boundless. “Religion and Social Control.” Boundless Sociology. Boundless, 08 Aug. 2016. Retrieved 07 Oct. 2016 from https://www.boundless.com/sociology/textbooks/boundless-sociology-textbook/religion-14/the-conflict-perspective-on-religion-107/religion-and-social-control-596-2095/

Image from Wikipedia

This poster has created multiple accounts. 

Karl Marx developed such ideas because he was heavily influenced by the Church.  Karl Marx spent most of his time in London, which was under the power of the Church.  The Church set laws by the standard of its religious doctrines.  Karl Marx saw how the Church controlled peoples lives and made a blanketed statement about religion.  He was a man with limited knowledge on religion.  You fail to mention how Karl Marx mentions religion is also good for those who are struggling to get out of poverty.  Karl Marx for the most part was not a troll like you.  If Karl Marx was here today, he would make the assessment how secular governments like France have turned into extremist to control what people wear.  Bikinis are forced on women by France like the Church forced laws on those who didn't follow the Church.  In conclusion, I am saying you are stup*d for thinking your mickey mouse arrogance can prove anything.  Keep going to school, you have not accomplished anything yet.    

• Like 1

On ‎18‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 5:21 PM, Sukhvirk76 said:

@genie that is quite possibly the most stupid stuff i have ever heard. .honestly I'm wetting myself at the shear idiocy

This is coming from a person who can't even read Gurmukhi.  You don't even know what the Guru is saying.  So how can you make any evaluation of genie statements being true or false?  Now we know who's the real idi*t around here.  And after insulting people here you want them to produce translations for you!  Get a life, you are a troll who has no honest intentions to learn about Sikhi. 

• Like 1