What Happened to Sindhi Khatri Hindus Making Their First Child Sikh?

Guest Jacfsing2

Guest Jacfsing2

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh, something Daas wanted to know was what happened to all those Khatri Sikhs from Sindhi origin, especially since their first child was made into Sikhs? (They themselves were Sehajdhari at best), shouldn't there have been more Khatri Sikhs if such a scenario was the case, or did they become something else? (Hindus/Muslims/Christians)

I don't think the Sindhi Hindus are of Khatri caste. But yes, the eldest son being made into a Sikh was a custom followed by some Punjabi Hindu Khatris. The Sindhi Hindus on the other hand were Shardaloos of Guru Ghar but remained Hindus. They had Sharda in Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji and read Bani. Maybe if Sikhs from Punjab had done some parchar to them during the Singh Sabha movement, they could have been brought over into the Sikh faith. I read somewhere that Sant Attar Singh Mastuanewale did some parchar in Sindh.

I know this one Sindhi Hindu man from Bombay. He told me that when he was young, he remembers his elders were firm believers in Sri Guru Nanak dev Ji. But slowly with the newer generation their link with Sikhi is becoming less and less and becoming more mainstream Hindu.

21 minutes ago, Jonny101 said:

I don't think the Sindhi Hindus are of Khatri caste. But yes, the eldest son being made into a Sikh was a custom followed by some Punjabi Hindu Khatris. The Sindhi Hindus on the other hand were Shardaloos of Guru Ghar but remained Hindus. They had Sharda in Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji and read Bani. Maybe if Sikhs from Punjab had done some parchar to them during the Singh Sabha movement, they could have been brought over into the Sikh faith. I read somewhere that Sant Attar Singh Mastuanewale did some parchar in Sindh.

I know this one Sindhi Hindu man from Bombay. He told me that when he was young, he remembers his elders were firm believers in Sri Guru Nanak dev Ji. But slowly with the newer generation their link was Sikhi is becoming less and less and becoming more mainstream Hindu.

I'm sure it did become less with what happened in punjab from the 70s-90s. A gap did appear between the two communities but gap wasn't created by everyday sikhs or Hindus but by mischevious governments.

I remember reading somewhere a while back that sindhi hindus were gonna be converted en masse to sikhi around 1946-47 time via amrit sanchars from panjab, just like how other hindus had in w.panjab. But then unfortunatly partition happened, and alot of sindhi hindus who chose to go india, went to mumbai/gujarat, n assimilated consequently back into being hindus again. The remaining sindhi hindus in pakistan tho, carried on being sehajdhari sikhs, but coz nobody frm sgpc afta partition bothered to send parcharaks/hold amrit sanchars, they kind of cooled off sikhi, into a more respect thing, rather than living like sikhs. I do remember reading a interview of a pak sindhi sikh (ex hindu) who did say how of the remaining 2million hindus in pak, majority r willing to take amrit with bit of parchar n an amrit sanchar if held. The sgpc has a lot of questions to answer. Wat do they even do with all that money? Jagraj singh (BoS), made a great point, of how, not 1 single tamil, gujarati, bangali, hindi etc parcharaks have been invested in by sikh authorities.

Perhaps the reason why the SGPC is so critical of extending the sikh demography is because there is a fear , a fear going back to singh sabha movement, 

namely that these neo-sikhs from gujarat, tamil , bengali , bihari , etc will begin to have more say in the panthic institutions and since they're neo-converts, there is a tendency to be skeptical of their loyalty . For eg : what if their aim is to submerge sikhi into hindu , from within !