HAUMAI

S1ngh

The word "ਹਉਮੈ" (Haumai) consists of two words: ਹਉ (Hau) + ਮੈ (Mai).

"ਹਉ" (Hau) essentially means "I, ਮੈ", etc.

And, " ਮੈ" (Mai) means the same, that is, "I, ਮੈ", etc.

So, when both terms are combined (i.e., ਹਉਮੈ-Haumai), it simply indicates the sense of "ਮੈ ਮੈ", "I, I" or "I-ness", "mine, mine", "mineness", "I, me, mine", ਆਪਾ-ਭਾਵ, etc

In nutshell, Haumai ("ਹਉਮੈ") arises from the notion of false selfhood ( "ਹਉ", I-ness , ਮੈ ਮੈ, etc.), which is essentially considering oneself separate from the rest. This is why the Gurbani so much talks about "One", "Oneness", etc. For, as the Gurbani time again emphasizes, existence is one. That is, there is no "other"; there is no separateness; and there are no boundaries.

"ਮੈ ਮੈ" or "I, I" is nothing but the idea of being separate from the universe. Although, we all live in "One" Ocean of Consciousness, but deluded by and identification with the limitations and boundaries of the body-mind-intellect personality, we think in "ਹਉਮੈ" (Haumai) - mistaken or false identity.

Hence, Haumai ("ਹਉਮੈ") is the disease (ਰੋਗੁ) of the mind. Not just an ordinary disease, but, according to the SGGS, a big disease; a great disease and suffering; a terrible disease, deadly disease, bad disease, chronic disease, and so on ("ਵਡਾ ਰੋਗੁ", "ਰੋਗੁ ਮਹਾ ਦੁਖ", "ਰੋਗੁ ਕਠਿਨ", "ਰੋਗ ਬੁਰੇ ", "ਦੀਰਘ ਰੋਗੁ"...).

In nutshell, Haumai ("ਹਉਮੈ") is the virus of the mind. As indicated in the SGGS, it has infected minds of the majority of the people in the world. In other words, bodies of the majority of us (the over 99.9 percent category) is afflicted with this terribly painful illness of egotism.

Expanding on this topic.  In Japji Sahib the first pauri starts with, rephrasing here, by thinking a person cannot discover Vaheguru or by trying to silent the mind.  Many preachers, teachers, swami, Baba, and priest talk a big talk.  But they fail to recognize the root problem of the ego.  It's unable to accept Shabad Guru as the only Guru.  Once they forget this key step they give big sermons of how the mind can be controlled to get rid of thoughts that are considered bad and focus on what they believe is the key to creation.  Fasting, going to pilgrimage, puja of the dead, stones, etc, yoga for mind and body control, meditation, intellectual debates, etc the list is very long.  And most of the time they refer to God as this key they are trying to reach.  They call him by different names and different attributes.  Gurbani tells us over and over to go to the Guru, the Guru is your only support, don't look at other teachings as valid for finding the ultimate truth/key to creation, cling on to the Gurus feet, give your head and don't look else where.  All these signs are staring the reader straight in the face, like a deer in a set of head lights.  Yet people run elsewhere in a heart beat.  Some only see greed, anger, sexual desires, attachments to creation as the things they need to help with from the Guru.  Mind you, some still run to yoga classes for mind, breath control to keep these things neutralized.  Guru Sahib says it loud and clear, many are meditating at Vaheguru's door, but only those who follow the instructions of the Guru are going to be liberated and join Vaheguru.  The path to religion, getting rid of ego, starts by accepting Shabad Guru/ Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji as Guru and then following this only true Guru's instructions.  This does not mean you hope around dipping into other schools to see if they can help with bringing peace of mind.  Because in this instance you have doubted Guru Sahib and are playing, the what if game....  Think about it this way.  You are in the middle of the ocean, the Guru is steering the boat and tells you, as Gurbani says, the Guru is your only support.  All of a sudden you see another boat that seems better and you jump on to the other boat hoping it will steer you to success.  You have abandoned the Guru.  Also all these other boats in the ocean are making things up as they go along or following directions of others, who have passed away and left directions of how they got to a certain point, but were unable to steer themselves to success because they started off with ego by not accepting Shabad Guru as Guru.  They put on a big magical show, using terms you haven't heard before, techniques that help only for an instant to relax the mind, hold intellectual talks that you have never discovered before.  Also remember these only look successful because they are being offered to individuals who have no clue or know very little about what true spiritual wisdom is.  In real estate if you want to get rich it's about location location, and location.  If a person wants to get rich (find Vaheguru) then it's all about Guru Guru, and Guru.       

1 hour ago, jkvlondon said:

I thought sochai came from sochna which means to cleanse through bathing

I think he refers to the meaning of chupai chup na hovei....when he talks about the quietening of the mind ... without talking. This is the second line in the first pauri, and not the first as OP has referred to.

You are right... the meaning of soche soch na hovei is easily confused with the thinking part of the brain.

The solution of haume is provided in the SGGS as being sadh sangat. Therefore it is important to go to Guradwara and sit in sangat for some time as much as we can. 

18 hours ago, sikhni777 said:
20 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

I thought sochai came from sochna which means to cleanse through bathing (Guru ji goes through all the traditional rituals one by one) rather than modern punjabi to think 

I think he refers to the meaning of chupai chup na hovei....when he talks about the quietening of the mind ... without talking. This is the second line in the first pauri, and not the first as OP has referred to.

You are right... the meaning of soche soch na hovei is easily confused with the thinking part of the brain.

The solution of haume is provided in the SGGS as being sadh sangat. Therefore it is important to go to Guradwara and sit in sangat for some time as much as we can. 

I agree the meaning is cleanse.  Also we can expand on the pauri and say the "modern" Punjabi meaning of think, also flows with Gurbani. Bhagat Naam Dev ji on ang 727, says by thinking Vaheguru can't be obtained.  Bhagat ji stresses on how people are blind and need Guru Sahib's support.  Without Guru Sahib's support the Naam can't be obtained.  Which brings us to the initial point I was making; without the Guru, there is only ego.  If the secondary meaning was against Gurmat, then it would be rejected.  But thank you for pointing out the primary meaning.   

6 hours ago, Consciousness said:

The guy in the video keeps on saying....you can do this for controlling/get rid of ego.  Doesn't anyone else see the critical mistake this person is making?  The pandits have tried this path and so have many others.  Satguru says they fail because ego still sticks to them.  These preachers don't have Satguru as their Guru.  They rely on other faulty methods to feel something "special".  Sikhs waste so many hours on trying to learn from worldly teachers.  They can't go past the three gunas, what spiritual wisdom can they teach? Today Sikhs are so confused on what is the truth.  They hop around like a frog and find nothing.  Satguru has everything we need.  When a Sikh is able to identify the mistakes others are making, slowly introduce yourself to other religions(others faulty paths) teaching to be aware of what they teach.  Build a very strong base in your heart for Sikhi and then explore.  

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 1:43 AM, Consciousness said:

3 hours ago, Bundha said:

You went to a 10 day retreat to learn all this ?

How we run around looking for this and that when all the time it is all right at home -  Its all there in Guru Granth Sahib Ji

There is a lot of misinformation being spread by the spiritually blind.  Clearly this site is not free from it as well.  I can name a few members who promote other teachings here because they have not understood Gurbani's root message.  It doesn't help either when we have kathavachaks telling sangat how Bhagats in Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji are from different religions.  For the last week and longer, I have been targeting these post and all I have been getting is slandered and told to stop.  If I or someone else charged someone for Gurbani teachings, then the person who is learning will cherish it more because now their is a value they paid for Gurbani. Humans rely on their mind and when they feel or hear something that sounds profound to them.  It's got to be spiritual.  Gurbani  warns us of this behaviour, yet Sikhs still indulge into it.  I babbled enough, lets listen to the Gurus teachings:

अखर पड़ि पड़ि भुलीऐ भेखी बहुतु अभिमानु ॥

Akẖar paṛ paṛ bẖulī▫ai bẖekẖī bahuṯ abẖimān.

Reading their books over and over again, people continue making mistakes; they are so proud of themselves (their religious ways).

तीरथ नाता किआ करे मन महि मैलु गुमानु ॥

Ŧirath nāṯā ki▫ā kare man mėh mail gumān.

But what is the use of bathing at sacred shrines of pilgrimage, when the filth of stubborn pride is within the mind?

गुर बिनु किनि समझाईऐ मनु राजा सुलतानु ॥४॥

Gur bin kin samjā▫ī▫ai man rājā sulṯān. ||4||

Other than the Guru, who can explain that within the mind is the Lord, the King, the Emperor? ||4||

प्रेम पदारथु पाईऐ गुरमुखि ततु वीचारु ॥

Parem paḏārath pā▫ī▫ai gurmukẖ ṯaṯ vīcẖār.

The Treasure of the Lord's Love is obtained by the Gurmukh, who contemplates the essence of reality.

सा धन आपु गवाइआ गुर कै सबदि सीगारु ॥

Sā ḏẖan āp gavā▫i▫ā gur kai sabaḏ sīgār.

The bride eradicates her selfishness, and adorns herself with the Word of the Guru's Shabad.

घर ही सो पिरु पाइआ गुर कै हेति अपारु ॥५॥

Gẖar hī so pir pā▫i▫ā gur kai heṯ apār. ||5||

Within her own home, she finds her Husband, through infinite love for the Guru. ||5||

गुर की सेवा चाकरी मनु निरमलु सुखु होइ ॥

Gur kī sevā cẖākrī man nirmal sukẖ ho▫e.

Applying oneself to the service of the Guru, the mind is purified, and peace is obtained.

गुर का सबदु मनि वसिआ हउमै विचहु खोइ ॥

Gur kā sabaḏ man vasi▫ā ha▫umai vicẖahu kẖo▫e.

The Word of the Guru's Shabad abides within the mind, and egotism is eliminated from within.

नामु पदारथु पाइआ लाभु सदा मनि होइ ॥६॥

Nām paḏārath pā▫i▫ā lābẖ saḏā man ho▫e. ||6||

The Treasure of the Naam is acquired, and the mind reaps the lasting profit. ||6||

Then, Satguru reinforces the teaching further, listen:

करमि मिलै ता पाईऐ आपि न लइआ जाइ ॥

Karam milai ṯā pā▫ī▫ai āp na la▫i▫ā jā▫e.

If He grants His Grace, then we obtain it. We cannot find it by our own efforts.

गुर की चरणी लगि रहु विचहु आपु गवाइ ॥

Gur kī cẖarṇī lag rahu vicẖahu āp gavā▫e.

Remain attached to the Feet of the Guru, and eradicate selfishness from within.

सचे सेती रतिआ सचो पलै पाइ ॥७॥

Sacẖe seṯī raṯi▫ā sacẖo palai pā▫e. ||7||

Attuned to Truth, you shall obtain the True One. ||7||

The people you have gone to for the 10 day retreat are trying to accomplish liberation with either a false Guru (false because hes/she is trying with own efforts) or by their own efforts.  Listen to the Guru carefully here.  Don't doubt Satguru for a second.  This same teaching is repeated many times in Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji.  Engrave this teaching in your mind.

Lastly, the Guru is forgiving and will take any true seeker into his embrace, listen:

भुलण अंदरि सभु को अभुलु गुरू करतारु ॥

Bẖulaṇ anḏar sabẖ ko abẖul gurū karṯār.

Everyone makes mistakes; only the Guru and the Creator are infallible.

गुरमति मनु समझाइआ लागा तिसै पिआरु ॥

Gurmaṯ man samjẖā▫i▫ā lāgā ṯisai pi▫ār.

One who instructs his mind with the Guru's Teachings comes to embrace love for the Lord.

नानक साचु न वीसरै मेले सबदु अपारु ॥८॥१२॥

Nānak sācẖ na vīsrai mele sabaḏ apār. ||8||12||

O Nanak, do not forget the Truth; you shall receive the Infinite Word of the Shabad. ||8||12||

These pauris are on ang 61 and the Shabad starts on ang 60.

Listen to how the Shabad starts:

सिरीरागु महला १ ॥

Sirīrāg mėhlā 1.

Siree Raag, First Mehl:

मनमुखि भुलै भुलाईऐ भूली ठउर न काइ ॥

Manmukẖ bẖulai bẖulā▫ī▫ai bẖūlī ṯẖa▫ur na kā▫e.

The self-willed manmukhs wander around, deluded and deceived. They find no place of rest.

गुर बिनु को न दिखावई अंधी आवै जाइ ॥

Gur bin ko na ḏikẖāva▫ī anḏẖī āvai jā▫e.

Without the Guru, no one is shown the Way. Like the blind, they continue coming and going.

गिआन पदारथु खोइआ ठगिआ मुठा जाइ ॥१॥

Gi▫ān paḏārath kẖo▫i▫ā ṯẖagi▫ā muṯẖā jā▫e. ||1||

Having lost the treasure of spiritual wisdom, they depart, defrauded and plundered. ||1||

Reading the whole Shabad, we can see Satguru is referring to those who follow their paths to so called liberation as the manmukh.  The mind (following false teachers) has dragged the whole world to hell, don't be a another victim of it.