HAUMAI

S1ngh

On 11/16/2016 at 7:16 PM, Akalifauj said:

The pandits have tried this path and so have many others.  Satguru says they fail because ego still sticks to them.  

True and the only workable method is gurbani. HAUMAI/ego is such a devil that it takes any form in your life. It is like a parasite living with you and keep testing you Day and night. HAUMAI is everywhere:

On 13 November 2016 at 8:47 PM, S1ngh said:

In nutshell, Haumai ("ਹਉਮੈ") arises from the notion of false selfhood ( "ਹਉ", I-ness , ਮੈ ਮੈ, etc.), which is essentially considering oneself separate from the rest. This is why the Gurbani so much talks about "One", "Oneness", etc. For, as the Gurbani time again emphasizes, existence is one. That is, there is no "other"; there is no separateness; and there are no boundaries.

"ਮੈ ਮੈ" or "I, I" is nothing but the idea of being separate from the universe. Although, we all live in "One" Ocean of Consciousness, but deluded by and identification with the limitations and boundaries of the body-mind-intellect personality, we think in "ਹਉਮੈ" (Haumai) - mistaken or false identity.

Hence, Haumai ("ਹਉਮੈ") is the disease (ਰੋਗੁ) of the mind. Not just an ordinary disease, but, according to the SGGS, a big disease; a great disease and suffering; a terrible disease, deadly disease, bad disease, chronic disease, and so on ("ਵਡਾ ਰੋਗੁ", "ਰੋਗੁ ਮਹਾ ਦੁਖ", "ਰੋਗੁ ਕਠਿਨ", "ਰੋਗ ਬੁਰੇ ", "ਦੀਰਘ ਰੋਗੁ"...).

In nutshell, Haumai ("ਹਉਮੈ") is the virus of the mind. As indicated in the SGGS, it has infected minds of the majority of the people in the world. In other words, bodies of the majority of us (the over 99.9 percent category) is afflicted with this terribly painful illness of egotism.

This is the best post I've seen in this section for a while, good stuff :)