Sikh interracial marriages

Big_Tera

14 hours ago, Lionesswoman said:

And your definition of a Sikh? Is it brown people who get married in the gurdwarra in the morning and binge drink in the evening at the reception?

Lol, that sounds about right. Some are still sozzled from the night before. In recent times most "Sikh" families don't bother turning up to the Anand Karaj... y'know, the actual ceremony that's meant to be the foundation for the whole thing? The reception is where it's at apparently. 

1 hour ago, MisterrSingh said:

Lol, that sounds about right. Some are still sozzled from the night before. In recent times most "Sikh" families don't bother turning up to the Anand Karaj... y'know, the actual ceremony that's meant to be the foundation for the whole thing? The reception is where it's at apparently. 

? Intent means everything, going to the gurdwarra knowing youre going to get drunk in the eve is bad. But then your body's Gods temple aswell. 

So everyone is okay with Sikh women marrying blacks and whites? And by this I also of course mean Non Sikhs as most black and white people in the UK are not Sikh as some seem to think. Apparently this is a big problem in north america and canada.  Where there is a large black population.

Or are modern Sikhs so much into hip hop and the black culture that they dont mind?  

3 hours ago, Big_Tera said:

So everyone is okay with Sikh women marrying blacks and whites? And by this I also of course mean Non Sikhs as most black and white people in the UK are not Sikh as some seem to think. Apparently this is a big problem in north america and canada.  Where there is a large black population.

Or are modern Sikhs so much into hip hop and the black culture that they dont mind?  

Problem is your focus is on this term "sikh women" now sikh women is a religious term and sikh women do not date or marry non-sikhs. A Sikh woman (ie one who practices and understands her faith) is allowed to marry a sikh person of any race or colour as long as they are of the sikh faith too.

What I think your trying to say is punjabi women or women of sikh heritage (wsh). That is the correct terms to use, therefore if your against these type of women being with people of non-punjabi/indian background then you are not talking about a Sikh problem but a ethnic problem. Your more into preserving your ethnic and I suspect your caste's community than your religion. And in that case it is understandable why you would be against women of your ethnicity or background getting with those outside that group.

So you have to decide do you want to preserve your caste/ethnicity community which you can try to do but is very difficult in the west where there is freedom of choice and women are often very loose of moral character and not as loyal or into to their eastern culture as in desi nations. Or do you want to preserve and live life according to your religion.

• 3 years later...

Okay these post are from many years ago but I just feel the urge to get my opinion and view on this topic out there . First allow me to give some background knowledge . My mother and father are both Sikhs my dad was born in India and my mum was born in England. I am an 18 year old boy who has been brought up in a predominately white community. The only Sikh tradition my parents follow is the tradition of arranged marriage and marry within the Sikh community. As their son i want to oblige their wishes . However having grown up in community where dating is a thing combined with being an hormonal teenager has resulted in some contradiction. There is a  white girl in my life that i have strong feelings for but due to my blind obligation to Sikhism I had to cut her out. Making that  decision has destroyed me and it has created a resentment to Sikhism from within me. 

The way you lot are discussing this topic is just from on view , you seem out of touch with reality . I understand we as Sikh must oblige to our traditions. However you must understand that the environment that modern day Sikhs are growing up in causes contradiction within us youths minds. One of you mentioned that if Sikhs don't keep marrying Sikh than it is gonna be the end of Sikhism . Well i have a counter point , the longer  the youth of our Sikh community is ill-informed , targeted by the older Sikhs and our constantly contradicted tge more at risk Sikhism is of becoming obsolete. For Sikhism is rooted off peace and understanding , yet you resort to tunnel vision thinking and hatred  

It's at times like these I get angry at our leaders past and present. We should not be living in the UK, USA, Canada, Australia etc. Punjab should not be the dump it is. We never developed ourselves scientific wise or technology wise. We just run to these other countries where we won't fully be accepted and people will feel contradicted.

On 5/13/2020 at 2:10 PM, YoungSikhDhillon said:

Okay these post are from many years ago but I just feel the urge to get my opinion and view on this topic out there . First allow me to give some background knowledge . My mother and father are both Sikhs my dad was born in India and my mum was born in England. I am an 18 year old boy who has been brought up in a predominately white community. The only Sikh tradition my parents follow is the tradition of arranged marriage and marry within the Sikh community. As their son i want to oblige their wishes . However having grown up in community where dating is a thing combined with being an hormonal teenager has resulted in some contradiction. There is a  white girl in my life that i have strong feelings for but due to my blind obligation to Sikhism I had to cut her out. Making that  decision has destroyed me and it has created a resentment to Sikhism from within me. 

The way you lot are discussing this topic is just from on view , you seem out of touch with reality . I understand we as Sikh must oblige to our traditions. However you must understand that the environment that modern day Sikhs are growing up in causes contradiction within us youths minds. One of you mentioned that if Sikhs don't keep marrying Sikh than it is gonna be the end of Sikhism . Well i have a counter point , the longer  the youth of our Sikh community is ill-informed , targeted by the older Sikhs and our constantly contradicted tge more at risk Sikhism is of becoming obsolete. For Sikhism is rooted off peace and understanding , yet you resort to tunnel vision thinking and hatred  

sikhs who grow up in white areas are quite different to sikhs who grow up in brown areas. 

16 hours ago, ChardikalaUK said:

If the parents want the kids to grow up like typical brown kids then they should not move to areas where there are hardly any apne.

I lived in a predominantly black area and had mostly Jamaican friends for the first 12 years of my life. I never adopted the vernacular, the mannerisms, or the mentality. It's down to the parents or the parent to enforce rules and define expectations of the child.

Punjabi parenting, even in western diasporas, is lackadaisical at best. The modern generations have upped their game, but the balance weighs heavily in favour of fulfilling secular, Western expectations, whereas past generations seemed to inculcate the worst aspects of Punjabi culture, thereby tarnishing the image or the impression of the culture as a whole in the eyes of their offspring, which meant the child would grow up into adulthood and, as a form of rebellion, would drift far from his own cultural norms when raising children of his own. 

This neverending swing between extremes is ruining generations of Sikhs.