Sikh interracial marriages

Big_Tera

21 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

I lived in a predominantly black area and had mostly Jamaican friends for the first 12 years of my life. I never adopted the vernacular, the mannerisms, or the mentality. It's down to the parents or the parent to enforce rules and define expectations of the child.

Punjabi parenting, even in western diasporas, is lackadaisical at best. The modern generations have upped their game, but the balance weighs heavily in favour of fulfilling secular, Western expectations, whereas past generations seemed to inculcate the worst aspects of Punjabi culture, thereby tarnishing the image or the impression of the culture as a whole in the eyes of their offspring, which meant the child would grow up into adulthood and, as a form of rebellion, would drift far from his own cultural norms when raising children of his own. 

This neverending swing between extremes is ruining generations of Sikhs.  

It is the people who live in non-black areas that try to act the most black.

Mainly because they think it gives them street cred. 

Whereas people that live amongst black people and black neighbourhoods don't tend do.

My mum's friend lived in Peckham, both her boys can speak patois if they chose to but always talked articulately. 

It is quite amusing when you see some of these Punjabi entertainers throwing their hands around like they are from the ghetto. 

South Central Jalandhar not South Central Los Angeles.

Bhatinda not the Bronx.

On 5/13/2020 at 2:10 PM, YoungSikhDhillon said:

Okay these post are from many years ago but I just feel the urge to get my opinion and view on this topic out there . First allow me to give some background knowledge . My mother and father are both Sikhs my dad was born in India and my mum was born in England. I am an 18 year old boy who has been brought up in a predominately white community. The only Sikh tradition my parents follow is the tradition of arranged marriage and marry within the Sikh community. As their son i want to oblige their wishes . However having grown up in community where dating is a thing combined with being an hormonal teenager has resulted in some contradiction. There is a  white girl in my life that i have strong feelings for but due to my blind obligation to Sikhism I had to cut her out. Making that  decision has destroyed me and it has created a resentment to Sikhism from within me. 

The way you lot are discussing this topic is just from on view , you seem out of touch with reality . I understand we as Sikh must oblige to our traditions. However you must understand that the environment that modern day Sikhs are growing up in causes contradiction within us youths minds. One of you mentioned that if Sikhs don't keep marrying Sikh than it is gonna be the end of Sikhism . Well i have a counter point , the longer  the youth of our Sikh community is ill-informed , targeted by the older Sikhs and our constantly contradicted tge more at risk Sikhism is of becoming obsolete. For Sikhism is rooted off peace and understanding , yet you resort to tunnel vision thinking and hatred .

At your stage in life it's not healthy to carry around misplaced resentment and bitterness.

Looking at the situation from a top-down, almost spiritual way, where, if you are that way inclined, you hope to become a more rounded human being later in life as a result of your experiences (be they positive or otherwise), I would suggest you go away and make your "mistakes."  Unfortunately, and I speak from experience, there are certain types of personalities that require exposure to stark first-hand experiences before the lesson that others were trying to impart in a softer, purely theoretical means is understood. 

Obviously, it may work out well for you, and in that case, congratulations.  Perhaps your destiny and your life-story is meant to head in another direction according to your karams and how they need to be worked through.

Mixed race marriage or inter-racial marriage or inter-caste marriage is not against Sikhi.
Only inter-faith marriage is against Sikhi for obvious reasons.

In terms of people of punjabi sikh background marrying those of non-punjabi Sikh background then there are often disagreements around culture and traditions. But the sikh faith is the main thing that should bind the people together. The only reason most of these marriages dont work is when people more interested in practicing and preserving their cultural ethnic baggage than Sikhi.

If both partners are practising the values of Sikhi and put aside their selfish desires and non-sikh cultural stuff then most times than not these marriages can last.

21 hours ago, Not2Cool2Argue said:

Humans are the same as in they have the same rights and soul. No one is higher or lower or better than someone else.

Its also important that our language and culture don't die out.  Or we wont understand our language and the message Guru Nanak brought to this world. Only way that's happening is if we marry within our race and teach our kids the culture and to marry into the culture.

Guruji also said not to marry your daughter into a Muslims house, a debtor etc. Because that will make it hard to follow the path to Truth. One still has to earn and deserve the Truth. For that its inportant to have a stable life 

Otherwise if a half Chinese-panjabi and a African-Italian have a kid. What languages will the poor kid learn? Hes gonna have to learn all 4 or learn one and stick with english. And he will lose on the different foods, cant master all culinary styles. Not to mention the religions.

Any story you look up about a mixed race child will be about confusion and feeling left out. Only when they get older do they learn to be abke to live with a no identity/mixed identity.

Culture is an illusion and a barrier to the realization that we are one. When you can see past it as the Gurus did, you realise that skin color doesn’t matter, different dress doesn’t matter, different foods don’t matter. 

Love has no logic, and Truth is a pure unconditional love. Nirboah and Nirvair, loving acceptance that it’s all just Him, and fearlessness because of the same. 

7 hours ago, Sat1 said:

Culture is an illusion and a barrier to the realization that we are one. When you can see past it as the Gurus did, you realise that skin color doesn’t matter, different dress doesn’t matter, different foods don’t matter. 

Love has no logic, and Truth is a pure unconditional love. Nirboah and Nirvair, loving acceptance that it’s all just Him, and fearlessness because of the same. 

If everything that supposedly demarcates us with other cultures and religions is Maya; a surface illusion, then why did the Sikh Gurus not encourage us to convert to Islam, or remain as Hindus? 

If we are truly one, then why go through all the effort of forging a separate path? If attaining God is the sole focus (and all paths lead to the One), then surely it would make sense to fall in behind a religion that was in the ascendancy and had a viable means of enforcing its aims, because ultimately we're all going to end up in the same place, aren't we?

1 hour ago, MisterrSingh said:

If everything that supposedly demarcates us with other cultures and religions is Maya; a surface illusion, then why did the Sikh Gurus not encourage us to convert to Islam, or remain as Hindus? 

If we are truly one, then why go through all the effort of forging a separate path? If attaining God is the sole focus (and all paths lead to the One), then surely it would make sense to fall in behind a religion that was in the ascendancy and had a viable means of enforcing its aims, because ultimately we're all going to end up in the same place, aren't we?

the conundrum of distinct identity v/s oneness in all.

I would say its the conundrum not dissimilar to that of miri piri . Miri here represents your 'distinct identity' and Piri your 'oneness in all' or Advaita Vedantic thought process. 

This can be a harsh cognitive dissonance for Sikhs. Why do we stress on our identity especially when RSS and such jathebandis call us a sect of wider hinduism. Why do we then fight tooth and nail only to practice a faith that intrinsically believes in oneness and urges human soul to become one with god and everyone.

I would answer it thus : "Path has to be kept distinct so that we can reach the oneness" . 

58 minutes ago, AjeetSingh2019 said:

"Path has to be kept distinct so that we can reach the oneness" . 

As perfect as your assessment is, it's a distinction that is almost impossible for the western mind -- that's riddled with moral relativism and a skewed sense of liberalism -- to grasp.

8 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

As perfect as your assessment is, it's a distinction that is almost impossible for the western mind -- that's riddled with moral relativism and a skewed sense of liberalism -- to grasp.

Not surprisingly, its hard to translate a lot of Indian concepts to be translated to western framework or even western languages.

2 minutes ago, AjeetSingh2019 said:

Not surprisingly, its hard to translate a lot of Indian concepts to be translated to western framework or even western languages.

It's not just that. They don't want to understand it, because it contradicts everything the television and their indoctrination centres (school) has told them is the truth. 

Just now, MisterrSingh said:

It's not just that. They don't want to understand it, because it contradicts everything the television and their indoctrination centres (school) has told them is the truth. 

Its not so simple. If that were the case we wouldn't see a horde of them tired of abrahamic crrap they grew up with , and moving towards dharmic religions and India. Neo-Vedanta for instance is quite popular with westerners.