Sikh interracial marriages

Big_Tera

5 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

I lived in a predominantly black area and had mostly Jamaican friends for the first 12 years of my life. I never adopted the vernacular, the mannerisms, or the mentality. It's down to the parents or the parent to enforce rules and define expectations of the child.

Punjabi parenting, even in western diasporas, is lackadaisical at best. The modern generations have upped their game, but the balance weighs heavily in favour of fulfilling secular, Western expectations, whereas past generations seemed to inculcate the worst aspects of Punjabi culture, thereby tarnishing the image or the impression of the culture as a whole in the eyes of their offspring, which meant the child would grow up into adulthood and, as a form of rebellion, would drift far from his own cultural norms when raising children of his own. 

This neverending swing between extremes is ruining generations of Sikhs.  

That's good of you not to fall into that trap. Even goreh are talking like kaleh 'yute' these days. Good luck getting a decent job ya get me fam.

4 hours ago, Kau89r8 said:

Punjabi girls dating/marriage black guys...is it rare or common? 

I haven't seen it around here.  A few months back I saw a asian female with a black baby in the pram   not sure if she was indian or paki though. 

When I was a kid I remember everyone was talking about it but some girl just b4 getting anand karaj ran away with a kala. The kala came outside the gurdwara on a motorbike and the bride hopped on and he drove off and the guests saw it. Poor families 

In school we had a few paki girls dating black guys  but I dnt remember any punjabi females.  But there was this one black girl that was dating a punjabi guy, and this other punjabi guy who went to my school is with a mixed race girl.

I dont mind black people   their alright 

6 minutes ago, puzzled said:

I haven't seen it around here.  A few months back I saw a asian female with a black baby in the pram   not sure if she was indian or paki though. 

When I was a kid I remember everyone was talking about it but some girl just b4 getting anand karaj ran away with a kala. The kala came outside the gurdwara on a motorbike and the bride hopped on and he drove off and the guests saw it. Poor families 

In school we had a few paki girls dating black guys  but I dnt remember any punjabi females.  But there was this one black girl that was dating a punjabi guy, and this other punjabi guy who went to my school is with a mixed race girl.

I dont mind black people   their alright 

Yeah i have seen few black Gursikhs... There is a punjabi  Gursikh married to black Gursikh lady and they have kids together...We should reach more to Black community to come into Sikhi

43 minutes ago, puzzled said:

I dont mind black people   their alright.

Our perception of blacks is heavily influenced by the manner in which broader society perceives them.  Try not to fall into that trap.

Same goes for Muslims to a certain degree, although we have intimate, first-hand historical and social experience that not many other groups possess, and that's why some of us silently think, "Fitteh muu tuade," when he see how the West is bending over for them at every conceivable opportunity.

6 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

Our perception of blacks is heavily influenced by the manner in which broader society perceives them.  Try not to fall into that trap.

Same goes for Muslims to a certain degree, although we have intimate, first-hand historical and social experience that not many other groups possess, and that's why some of us silently think, "Fitteh muu tuade," when he see how the West is bending over for them at every conceivable opportunity.

honestly apart from 1 black grummpy woman iv never had a bad experience with a black person. they are quite inquisitive about other cultures and ask you questions  not in a bad way but out of curiosity.  and they always ask about indian food and how we make the turka lol 

my black friend told me that, because they way blacks were treated and the way the media portrays them, a lot of black people feel like they need to put up a front, like look hard, she said its a defense thing,    which is quite understandable. 

culturally they are really similar especially the family aspect.  by black friend was like whenever any black person does a house extension or makes a room in the loft, all the other Jamaican aunties in the local area come around to have a look and be nosy    that reminded me of us lot lmao 

4 minutes ago, puzzled said:

honestly apart from 1 black grummpy woman iv never had a bad experience with a black person. they are quite inquisitive about other cultures and ask you questions  not in a bad way but out of curiosity.  and they always ask about indian food and how we make the turka lol 

my black friend told me that, because they way blacks were treated and the way the media portrays them, a lot of black people feel like they need to put up a front, like look hard, she said its a defense thing,    which is quite understandable. 

culturally they are really similar especially the family aspect.  by black friend was like whenever any black person does a house extension or makes a room in the loft, all the other Jamaican aunties in the local area come around to have a look and be nosy    that reminded me of us lot lmao 

Yes, absolutely. I've noticed that over the years, too. Their sianneh (particularly the God-fearing, church-going types) are SO similar to our elders of a comparable age. They have a very strict sense of right and wrong, decorum, and honour, too. I would never have known if I hadn't spent time living amongst them. 

25 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

Yes, absolutely. I've noticed that over the years, too. Their sianneh (particularly the God-fearing, church-going types) are SO similar to our elders of a comparable age. They have a very strict sense of right and wrong, decorum, and honour, too. I would never have known if I hadn't spent time living amongst them. 

When i was a kid we used to have people living in our house for rent lol  and i remember there used to be this old Jamaican guy, i must of been around 3 years old but i have a really gd memory so i remember a lot. I even remember his name. He used to take me to the shops in the buggy and buy me milkyway chocolate lol!  i clearly remember everything. He had a sad life though, his wife through him out because he drank a lot and didnt let him see his son, so he gave me all his sons toys, i remember a old brown teddy bear he gave me.  i clearly remember him.   Having a really gd memory can be a gd thing and a not so gd thing at the same time. 

He eventually had to move out   and soon after died all alone   sad really ... 

On 5/13/2020 at 2:10 PM, YoungSikhDhillon said:

Okay these post are from many years ago but I just feel the urge to get my opinion and view on this topic out there . First allow me to give some background knowledge . My mother and father are both Sikhs my dad was born in India and my mum was born in England. I am an 18 year old boy who has been brought up in a predominately white community. The only Sikh tradition my parents follow is the tradition of arranged marriage and marry within the Sikh community. As their son i want to oblige their wishes . However having grown up in community where dating is a thing combined with being an hormonal teenager has resulted in some contradiction. There is a  white girl in my life that i have strong feelings for but due to my blind obligation to Sikhism I had to cut her out. Making that  decision has destroyed me and it has created a resentment to Sikhism from within me. 

The way you lot are discussing this topic is just from on view , you seem out of touch with reality . I understand we as Sikh must oblige to our traditions. However you must understand that the environment that modern day Sikhs are growing up in causes contradiction within us youths minds. One of you mentioned that if Sikhs don't keep marrying Sikh than it is gonna be the end of Sikhism . Well i have a counter point , the longer  the youth of our Sikh community is ill-informed , targeted by the older Sikhs and our constantly contradicted tge more at risk Sikhism is of becoming obsolete. For Sikhism is rooted off peace and understanding , yet you resort to tunnel vision thinking and hatred  

You can marry who you want.. as long as you love each other and are committed to each other. Sikh is not a religion, it’s the Truth. Sikh means student so we are students of Truth. Truth is eternal and has existed before the Gurus times and beyond. It is Not reserved only for brown people because it’s All Pervading, it is everyone, everything, everywhere. We were created to live, experience and discover it. 

The Gurus taught us to be good souls, being with someone Good is the wise choice. However, humans can change as Guru Nanak showed.

The Gurus never stood in the way of Love, because love is beautiful. It shows that we are One, beyond caste, creed, the external illusion of separateness and it defies all logic, which we are taught to rid ourselves of.

If the girl is good or at the least, good to you, respects you, and you show this back, then there isn’t a problem. We are taught to respect and love ourselves so if you respect and honor each other then go for it. Worst case it won’t work out, best case it will. You are learning that external appearance and color is an illusion and doesn’t matter. That’s what the Gurus taught, to embrace people as one and the same.

Don’t listen to people who put up cultural barriers, or barriers that don’t make sense, follow your heart and be good.

On 5/14/2020 at 5:07 PM, ChardikalaUK said:

It's at times like these I get angry at our leaders past and present. We should not be living in the UK, USA, Canada, Australia etc. Punjab should not be the dump it is. We never developed ourselves scientific wise or technology wise. We just run to these other countries where we won't fully be accepted and people will feel contradicted.

Guru Nanak came to the world teaching that humans are the same, ocean in the drop, drop in the ocean, and yet people on here continue their racist closed minded rants. You have learned nothing of what the Gurus taught if you can’t accept this one fact. 

The Gurus spread love. You are not spreading love, only hate. 

4 hours ago, Sat1 said:

Guru Nanak came to the world teaching that humans are the same, ocean in the drop, drop in the ocean, and yet people on here continue their racist closed minded rants. You have learned nothing of what the Gurus taught if you can’t accept this one fact. 

The Gurus spread love. You are not spreading love, only hate. 

Humans are the same as in they have the same rights and soul. No one is higher or lower or better than someone else.

Its also important that our language and culture don't die out.  Or we wont understand our language and the message Guru Nanak brought to this world. Only way that's happening is if we marry within our race and teach our kids the culture and to marry into the culture.

Guruji also said not to marry your daughter into a Muslims house, a debtor etc. Because that will make it hard to follow the path to Truth. One still has to earn and deserve the Truth. For that its inportant to have a stable life 

Otherwise if a half Chinese-panjabi and a African-Italian have a kid. What languages will the poor kid learn? Hes gonna have to learn all 4 or learn one and stick with english. And he will lose on the different foods, cant master all culinary styles. Not to mention the religions.

Any story you look up about a mixed race child will be about confusion and feeling left out. Only when they get older do they learn to be abke to live with a no identity/mixed identity.