samosasingh

Samosa Singh Ji,

I have heard that the purpose of lighting a jot was due to practicality - if there light went out or in times were there was no electricity the gurbani reader could still carry on gurbani path without disturbance. 

ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰੋ ਆਸਨੋ ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰੋ ਉਰਸਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਕੇਸਰੋ ਲੇ ਛਿਟਕਾਰੇ ॥
ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਅੰਭੁਲਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰੋ ਚੰਦਨੋ ਘਸਿ ਜਪੇ ਨਾਮੁ ਲੇ ਤੁਝਹਿ ਕਉ ਚਾਰੇ ॥੧॥
ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਦੀਵਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰੋ ਬਾਤੀ ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰੋ ਤੇਲੁ ਲੇ ਮਾਹਿ ਪਸਾਰੇ ॥
ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ ਭਇਓ ਉਜਿਆਰੋ ਭਵਨ ਸਗਲਾਰੇ ॥੨॥

If we read above Guru sahib is saying everything for a Gursikh is naam and it's with naam we have to light the jot inside.

3 hours ago, R78 said:

Samosa Singh Ji,

I have heard that the purpose of lighting a jot was due to practicality - if there light went out or in times were there was no electricity the gurbani reader could still carry on gurbani path without disturbance. 

ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰੋ ਆਸਨੋ ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰੋ ਉਰਸਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਕੇਸਰੋ ਲੇ ਛਿਟਕਾਰੇ ॥
ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਅੰਭੁਲਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰੋ ਚੰਦਨੋ ਘਸਿ ਜਪੇ ਨਾਮੁ ਲੇ ਤੁਝਹਿ ਕਉ ਚਾਰੇ ॥੧॥
ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਦੀਵਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰੋ ਬਾਤੀ ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰੋ ਤੇਲੁ ਲੇ ਮਾਹਿ ਪਸਾਰੇ ॥
ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ ਭਇਓ ਉਜਿਆਰੋ ਭਵਨ ਸਗਲਾਰੇ ॥੨॥

If we read above Guru sahib is saying everything for a Gursikh is naam and it's with naam we have to light the jot inside.

Can you tell us the practicality of chaur sahib?

18 hours ago, Akalifauj said:

Can you tell us the practicality of chaur sahib?

16 hours ago, Preeet said:

Mhmm, especially since there are electrical fans now (with their logic)

Wjkk Wjkf Pyaario :ssa

Could i ask what you guys what you think a chaur sahib's purpose is? From the above post about electrical fans it seems as if the purpose is to keep flies etc away. From what understanding daas has the purpose of a chaur sahib is to signify Guru Ji's royality and king of kings status. From the little seva Guru Ji has taken from this ant of doing chaur sahib seva it was done for satkar and to uphold the royalty of my king.

Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee 

R78...I am not asking for your opinion on whether or not we should light it or not. Simply answer the question if you know the answer, otherwise you can pass on providing your personal beliefs. Seem you don't have much knowledge on these things.

What I need to know is when its an Akhand Jot and the wick burns out how do you pull out the wick and not let the jot burn out? Or do you keep another small jot going while you need to fix the main jot.

Anybody on here with any experience on this?

Bhaji/Benji,

Make the wick with cotton wool but make a few of them. With fingers cover the wick with ghee so that is burns slowly when lit outside of the ghee jyote.

Light the jyote in ghee. Whenever the jyote that is lit gets black and needs to be trimmed from the top then get another rolled wick and light this and hold in in one hand or hand it over to another person. Now trim the lit jyote with scissors , if it goes out then you have the second jyote lit so use this to relight the main jyote.

Same with changing the jyote, light another jyote and keep to one side, now change the main jyote and relight with the secondary one. 

Lighting jyote is true maryadha as is keeping jall, as is keeping narial when doing akand paath of Dasam Granth Ji.

Light of jyote is just one reason. In the olden days ghee jyote were very expensive and lit when someone very special came to your house. Who is more special then Dhan Guru Granth Sahib Ji, so light the jyote for your Guru. Ghee jyote light is pavitar it attracts pavitar souls, who is more pavitar then Gurus bani?

7 hours ago, R78 said:

Wjkk Wjkf Pyaario :ssa

Could i ask what you guys what you think a chaur sahib's purpose is? From the above post about electrical fans it seems as if the purpose is to keep flies etc away. From what understanding daas has the purpose of a chaur sahib is to signify Guru Ji's royality and king of kings status. From the little seva Guru Ji has taken from this ant of doing chaur sahib seva it was done for satkar and to uphold the royalty of my king.

Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee 

So that Chaur Sahib becomes a symbol, symbol of king of kings.  Do you see any reason for the jyot to be a symbol as well?  Also does one person's or a group of peoples wrong interpretation of jyot make it wrong?  Look up Gurbani on Chaur Sahib.  Sohila Sahib speaks of Chaur Sahib and says the wind is my (Akal purakh) Chaur Sahib.  Listen to what Bhagat Kabir ji has to say on Chaur Sahib.  Also ask yourself, who was this reference of Chaur Sahib and jyot referred too.  What were these people doing wrong, who were they doing Chaur sahib over and who were they lighting the jyot for. 

Beginners and missionaries make the mistake of comparing Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji to the hindu worship of a stone/devi/devta.  They ignorantly see both as the same and say....look Guru Sahib says its wrong (what is wrong for one is wrong for the other), but never pay attention to the context surrounding the action of why it's wrong.  They have no depth to their understanding of Gurbani.  Many newcomers fall for their foolishness because they don't know better.  It's always best to go straight to the source, Gurbani.