RAAT DI ROTI/ਰਾਤ ਦੀ ਰੋਟੀ

singhbj singh

Raat di Roti/ਰਾਤ ਦੀ ਰੋਟੀ

Tts Celebration Event Paula Solloway 4

Connecting Punjabi-speaking families and isolated older people to share an evening meal

Touchstone Sikh Elders connects Punjabi-speaking families with Punjabi-speaking isolated older people to foster cross-generational relationships. Once a fortnight, volunteers share the evening meal, or raat di roti, together. This could be either in the volunteer's home or in the elder's home. Through the ritual of eating together, stories and wisdom are shared and exchanged and a stronger sense of community develops. So guess who’s coming to dinner....

ਰਾਤ ਦੀ ਰੋਟੀ  

ਰਾਤ  ਦੀ ਰੋਟੀ ਦਾ ਪ੍ਰਾਜੈਕਟ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਬੋਲਣ ਵਾਲੇ ਬਜ਼ੁਰਗਾਂ ਤਕ ਪਹੁੰਚ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ ਜੋ ਬਜ਼ੁਰਗ ਲੀਡਜ਼ ਵਿੱਚ ਸਮਾਜਿਕ ਇਕਲਤਾ ਦਾ ਤਰਜ਼ਬਾ ਅਨੁਭਵ ਕਰਦੇ ਹਨ। ਬਜ਼ੁਰਗਾਂ ਅਤੇ ਵਲੰਟੀਅਰ ਪਰਿਵਾਰਾਂ ਲਈ ਇਕਠੇ ਭੋਜਨ ਖਾਣ, ਕਹਾਣੀਆ ਸਾਂਝੀਆ ਕਰਨ ਅਤੇ ਆਪਣੇ ਜੀਵਨ ਦੇ ਤਜਰਬਿਆ ਨੂੰ ਸਾਂਝੇ ਕਰਨ ਦਾ ਇੱਕ ਮੌਕਾ ਪ੍ਰਦਾਨ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ।

As of September 2016, older people participating in the Raat di Roti project had enjoyed 216 dinners in total. One participant said that while she was a bit hesitant at first, she greatly enjoys the dinners and looks forward to her volunteer visiting every other week. 

Rdr Case Study

Mrs B and her matched volunteer enjoy a meal together.

"There is a massive age gap between us but it doesn't matter, because we always have a lot to talk about." The volunteer added, "I like making a difference and it makes me happy to know she is happy." 

If you would like to get involved with this project, please get in touch via the contact details on the right. 

Download Raat di Roti Leaflet  at 

1 hour ago, Jonny101 said:

It's sad that some Punjabi people abandon their elders. Doing seva of your elders is very important and one should never ignore this duty 

You'll be accused of being a momma's / daddy's boy with talk like that. Apparently, most of these oldies deserve being kicked to the curb in their old age, even those who did nothing to warrant such treatment. 

2 hours ago, Jonny101 said:

It's sad that some Punjabi people abandon their elders. Doing seva of your elders is very important and one should never ignore this duty 

Taking care of the elders is an important part of being a Sikh.  It also shows true seva in a person who is willing to sacrifice his minds desires.  It shows appreciation for their parents sacrifices as well.  The real sad part is, how some youth keep their dog inside the house but don't take care of the elder parents and move out and leave their parents on there own.  The generation is willing to pick up their dogs Cr*p off of the ground but can't take care of their parents.  

18 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

You'll be accused of being a momma's / daddy's boy with talk like that. Apparently, most of these oldies deserve being kicked to the curb in their old age, even those who did nothing to warrant such treatment. 

MAY IT BECOME A PRINCIPLE IN OUR LIFE TO RESPECT OUR PARENTS

http://www.panthic.org/articles/1061

Seniors or elderly persons in family, Role of seniors in foreign countries, Role reversion

http://www.gurmat.info/sms/smssikhism/institutions/family/

22 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

It's really sad when olders are left to themselves, but lets talk openly about this important topic: there are PLENTY of parents who stifled and made their children's lives unbearable due to backwards thinking over decades, this would only ever cause alienation, and I've met plenty of decent apnay and apneean who are estranged from their parents/families because of this. Some parents cause havoc in their children's marriages, some have been psychologically (as well as physically) abusive. Often they live in complete denial about the impact of their behaviour on their kids. As much as it is sad to see these bazurags suffer, I can also understand the response of children in these circumstances. But there are other completely ungrateful tosser children who neglect their parents even after being given everything. 

Point: some of these people bring it on themselves, some of them are proper victims of self-centred children. We shouldn't be unaware of these nuances.

18 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

It's really sad when olders are left to themselves, but lets talk openly about this important topic: there are PLENTY of parents who stifled and made their children's lives unbearable due to backwards thinking over decades, this would only ever cause alienation, and I've met plenty of decent apnay and apneean who are estranged from their parents/families because of this. Some parents cause havoc in their children's marriages, some have been psychologically (as well as physically) abusive. Often they live in complete denial about the impact of their behaviour on their kids. As much as it is sad to see these bazurags suffer, I can also understand the response of children in these circumstances. But there are other completely ungrateful tosser children who neglect their parents even after being given everything. 

Point: some of these people bring it on themselves, some of them are proper victims of self-centred children. We shouldn't be unaware of these nuances.

All true, brother. My particular issue is with good, decent parents who've been neglected, and those who seek to enable and explain away such behaviour as a symptom of living in a developed country, which only further proves my theory that no matter how successful our people become we are still inherently unable to shake off the slave mentality, I.e. "whites leave their elders to fend for themselves, so must we."

Guest Jacfsing2
3 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

All true, brother. My particular issue is with good, decent parents who've been neglected, and those who seek to enable and explain away such behaviour as a symptom of living in a developed country, which only further proves my theory that no matter how successful our people become we are still inherently unable to shake off the slave mentality, I.e. "whites leave their elders to fend for themselves, so must we."

Daas is probably the greatest supporter of Sikh people on this forum;(should be obvious to everyone here), however, we shouldn't pretend like our people are some angelic people who can do no wrong. Sometimes parents bring the problems themselves, as well as some of our families being those Indian Dramas tv's that are meant for Hindus, but somehow has negatively effected Sikhs as well. We don't have a slave mentality, what we have is rebel mentality, in Canada the Anglos are great at kissing people's a-s-s, while Sikhs in Canada don't do that, in England the patriots voted for Brexit, while British SJW Sikhs voted against it. 

Basically Sikh parents have their own set of problems, but we fail to ever acknowledge those problems and assist them. Basically Daas agrees with @dallysingh101.

I was listening to a Punjabi radio discussion on this subject a few years back. In short you had the UK born Sikh going up against the recent arrival from the Punjab, and the Punjabi guy was lording it over the "foreigners" about how they've lost touch with their roots, etc., what with putting their elders into homes, and how that never happens back home. He seemed to be giving off quite a resentful tone in general towards NRIs.  

The UK born Sikh killed the debate with one stroke by saying that Punjab resident individuals were obsessed with land ownership, and if they weren't in line to inherit acres of zameen from their elders, they'd slit the oldies' throats at the first sign of trouble and dump their bodies in the nearest khoo, lol. The "roti pani" given to Punjab resident elders by their sons wasn't an inherent act of selfless kindness because it was the right and just thing to do for one's parents. Hardly a peep from the other guy after that.