The Black Prince - New Film Based On Sikh Maharajah Duleep Singh

genie

1 hour ago, TigerForce1 said:

Really poor turnout at the cinema considering it is only screened once a day and this was the second screening of opening weekend.

Probably because there's no lallu panjoo in the movie and today's society is influenced a lot by the singers and rubbish storylines. 

1 hour ago, simran345 said:

Probably because there's no lallu panjoo in the movie and today's society is influenced a lot by the singers and rubbish storylines. 

The movie does have a big name in 'Sartaj' but yes it definitely does not cater for the lalloo panjoo crew.  I just dont get how even UK born panjabis who are well up for other period dramas and other mainstream western movies but are not interested in watching a film which has been directed to specifically target their tastes and something that is relevant to their own history. 

Anyways I hope the ticket sales start to increase over the next few weeks as I would love to see the team behind this movie to work on similar projects in the future.

Guest Jacfsing2
2 hours ago, simran345 said:

Maybe it wasn't marketed or advertised very well, in my area for example there are 0 screenings of this movie at all, though when Kaum De Heere was released the crowd was at least decent when I was there. Also the budget for the movie was extremely small compared to major pictures, with only 5 million, that may seem like a lot for most people, but considering the average major film budget is 100 million, less people will watch it naturally.

2 hours ago, TigerForce1 said:

I just dont get how even UK born panjabis who are well up for other period dramas and other mainstream western movies but are not interested in watching a film which has been directed to specifically target their tastes and something that is relevant to their own history. 

Coconut mentality. Modern ban na uhna ne ?

1 hour ago, Jacfsing2 said:

Maybe it wasn't marketed or advertised very well,

They should promoted it on mainstream tv too. I've only seen it advertised on the Sikh Channels as yet. Not sure if it's on ITV, Channel 4 and 5. 

15 hours ago, TigerForce1 said:

Just watched it last night.

Just got back from watching The Black Prince - Punjabi version. Originally went to watch the English version, but was totally sold out on getting there. So decided to watch the Punjabi version and we did, as connected to it easily, has subtitles in English too. English version was probably good too, as Tigerforce1 paji mentioned. 

It was superb, amazing, brilliant movie. Probably the best directed with Punjabi actor as main role I've ever seen. All the actors were great. It's not like the usual Punjabi or Bollywood movie. Was emotional and wish it was longer. 

Definetley a must to see, that's all I'm saying as I don't want to tell too much for those who still have to see it.  Satinder Sartaj was superb, they couldn't have chosen a better actor than him.

It's definitely worth seeing. 

Sartaaj, the popular Punjabi singer, makes his debut as an actor. As a performer, he is natural as the insipid character but not impressive. Shabana Azmi with her towering personality, as his mother Rani Jindan, is brilliant.

They are aptly supported by Amanda Root as Queen Victoria and Jason Flemyng as Dr. John Login.

Although the film is made with good intentions and is historical in nature, it lacks a universal appeal. The script is sluggish and painfully slow paced. The lack of volatile action fails to engage its viewers.

Mounted with moderate production values, Director Kavi Raz manages to recreate the era with precision with superb technical support. His frames are aesthetically mounted but befit small screen viewing as it fails to give cinematic pleasure.

Overall, the authenticity of this period drama is questionable, but nevertheless, it would appeal to people who are interested in history.

(http://www.hindustantimes.com/movie-reviews/the-black-prince-movie-review-strong-subject-poorly-executed/story-0zGk3ioz8TDbblaS2jnWNM.html)

30 minutes ago, 5akaalsingh said:

Shabana Azmi with her towering personality, as his mother Rani Jindan, is brilliant.

Yes, she was very good and spoke Punjabi in the movie. We watched the Punjabi version, but I don't think her parts were dubbed.  I tried to look at the actors lip movements and hers seemed as if she was talking in punjabi throughout the movie. She played her character as bold and with anakh (pride). 

Sartaj was made to be more of a weaker character than hers, probably because they wanted to show the confused part of son of what had happened to him. 

Hindustan times have so got it wrong. I don't agree with what they've written. It's one the best movies I seen  it's directly well, it's not that slow. That had to set the scenes like that, otherwise it couldn't be understood as well. Just because it wasn't the normal Bollywood style with jumping around songs and nonsense storylines, it certainly wasn't boring. It's about time we had movies like this, that are different. 

Again as I said before, lallu panjoos wouldn't relate to it. But I thought it was great. The whole cinema was silent and so absorbed in it, and we're talking about families with kids, elders, there were a range of ages. Well that's the experience I had in West Midlands, don't know about other towns. 

40 minutes ago, 5akaalsingh said:

The lack of volatile action fails to engage its viewers.

BS, excuse the language. Why does a movie need to be so entrapped in action to get a point across ? This is where society is messed up, again lallu panjoos. 

After the showing, there were kids asking their parents about it, and it was good to see that discussion they were having with their parents. Not one person complained about it after leaving, they looked more mesmerised, as I was. Mind you it's Hindustantimes that's written the article, so I'm not surprised. 

Guest Jacfsing2

Does anyone know if this film is going to get a DVD release or available online?

5 minutes ago, simran345 said:

Yes, she was very good and spoke Punjabi in the movie. We watched the Punjabi version, but I don't think her parts were dubbed.  I tried to look at the actors lip movements and hers seemed as if she was talking in punjabi throughout the movie. She played her character as bold and with anakh (pride). 

Sartaj was made to be more of a weaker character than hers, probably because they wanted to show the confused part of son of what had happened to him. 

Hindustan times have so got it wrong. I don't agree with what they've written. It's one the best movies I seen  it's directly well, it's not that slow. That had to set the scenes like that, otherwise it couldn't be understood as well. Just because it wasn't the normal Bollywood style with jumping around songs and nonsense storylines, it certainly wasn't boring. It's about time we had movies like this, that are different. 

Again as I said before, lallu panjoos wouldn't relate to it. But I thought it was great. The whole cinema was silent and so absorbed in it, and we're talking about families with kids, elders, there were a range of ages. Well that's the experience I had in West Midlands, don't know about other towns. 

BS, excuse the language. Why does a movie need to be so entrapped in action to get a point across ? This is where society is messed up, again lallu panjoos. 

After the showing, there were kids asking their parents about it, and it was good to see that discussion they were having with their parents. Not one person complained about it after leaving, they looked more mesmerised, as I was. Mind you it's Hindustantimes that's written the article, so I'm not surprised. 

Indie films as a whole tend to have a lower budget regardless of area, and in India, having low budget or a high budget mean everything to their critics. This is also the reason why none of the major films in Bollywood are in Punjabi or any other language that's not Hindi.

3 minutes ago, Jacfsing2 said:

Does anyone know if this film is going to get a DVD release or available online?

Indie films as a whole tend to have a lower budget regardless of area, and in India, having low budget or a high budget mean everything to their critics. This is also the reason why none of the major films in Bollywood are in Punjabi or any other language that's not Hindi.

Don't know about the DVD, but I want to get the English version when it's released. I absolutely loved it, but that's just me ?

You could check their fb updates, nothing as of yet though of DVD. 

https://m.facebook.com/TheBlackPrinceFilm/?locale2=en_GB