The lost Sikh turban style

I used to have my ears peirced as a mona   I haven't worn them for yrs now  but the hole is still there  it's not going    I really dont like it.    

I think it's a cultural thing in north India  

Dastar style has changed a lot  every century has it's own . gol dastar is most popular now    back in the 50s they used to keep a larh hanging down etc   in future it will be some other style. 

Nihungs used to wear a tall pointy dastar    now they dont   

On 2/25/2017 at 9:28 AM, Singh123456777 said:

I am not for or against earrings, but I am against us being ignorant about our history.

OK, sure.

On 2/25/2017 at 9:28 AM, Singh123456777 said:

Not everything we hear from kathavachaks are true.

Sure. But a painting painted by a mere man is not "true" (satya).

It's a mere representation of something in his mind.

And have you ever found it interesting that a painter of a certain school will paint all his paintings in a certain way?

That's because that's all he knows how to paint.

And as far as certain accouterments or embellishments (such as earrings), that's just what a certain painter supposes that men of a certain era must have worn (not that he would have any personal knowledge--it's a mere supposition). 

• 2 years later...

On 2/26/2017 at 4:46 AM, jkvlondon said:

c'mon the top picture the guy has ankle bracelets on ! This is a misappropriated picture...

Some men wore 1 or 2 anklets in the greater Panjab region and subcontinent, but this entirely depended on their tribe/area. This type of anklet is called 'kada' and worn on the hands too and ones around the neck are called 'hasli/has'. These were all worn by women too. Although, wearing earrings was much more common than anklets by men in Panjab. 

image.png.f73b10473f9a3e728244701b51b5b2f2.png

The earrings depicted in Sikh art are called "Bala" sometimes they had a few pearls strung on.  

image.png.529f0856f24a397ce6228198d65892ed.png

8 hours ago, 5aaban said:

Some men wore 1 or 2 anklets in the greater Panjab region and subcontinent, but this entirely depended on their tribe/area. This type of anklet is called 'kada' and worn on the hands too and ones around the neck are called 'hasli/has'. These were all worn by women too. Although, wearing earrings was much more common than anklets by men in Panjab. 

The earrings depicted in Sikh art are called "Bala" and they had a few pearls strung on.  

image.png.f73b10473f9a3e728244701b51b5b2f2.png

Things seem to change quickly too. Chunjurs (ankle bells) used to be common only a few decades ago. Do we see them much anymore?  

On 7/29/2022 at 5:16 AM, dallysingh101 said:

Things seem to change quickly too. Chunjurs (ankle bells) used to be common only a few decades ago. Do we see them much anymore?  

Yes, things change quicker in contemporary times although in the past jewellery and clothing was more consistent for a few centuries before any drastic changes. 

Jhanjar is still popular but not for every day wear as it was before. Some still consider it customary to have silver Jhanjar made for young girls. However, the style of anklets has changed in Panjab. Contemporary styles are usually light with fewer attached ornaments. 

Prior to the 1970s, there were far more elaborate types (e.g. Kada, Jhanjar, Panjeb, Patri'an) and they were worn regularly. 

image.png.c782ee56327d8f71f125d17f76d5c9a5.png