Do you need to be amritdhari to wear a Chakar on dastar?

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

I have a question regarding the Chakar. Many Singhs wear it around their dastar as it has great history.

I am currently not an amritdhari, though I have told my mum that I will start practicing soon (Wearing 5 kakars, waking up during the ambrosial hours)

I recently wanted to wear the Chakar. I am aware what it is used for and the risks.

The question is if I must be an Amritdhari to wear it on my dastar?

If it makes you happy & feel closer to Guru , go for it.

Anything that brings you closer to your Guru , should be encouraged.

I dont think of any restriction that only a amritdhari can wear it.

But just keep in mind, whenever you wear chakar, your image will be uplifted in people minds and they will think of you as a great spiritual person because of your bana, so your each and every action will be scrutinized. In that regards you will have to be careful not to send off a wrong message or hurt anyone. When you wear a Bana, peoples expectations of you increase.

Guest Jacfsing2

Are you going to wear a gol, (round) dastar or dumalla; or rather a Shahi,(the triangle one) style pagri? One of them is better suited for Chakars and the other is better suited for other shastars.

7 hours ago, Jacfsing2 said:

Are you going to wear a gol, (round) dastar or dumalla; or rather a Shahi,(the triangle one) style pagri? One of them is better suited for Chakars and the other is better suited for other shastars.

I am going to wear a dumalla.

"monatosingh", this is just an opinion:

It would seem to me that candidates for amrit should refrain from sporting any symbols that are particularly associated in the minds of the Sangat with being an Amritdhari Singh. I think that would include chand/tor/khanda on dastar and kirpan (particularly on the outside).

As for kakkars candidates can wear 4 symbols, and then start to wear the 5th (kirpan) on the day of their Amrit Sanchar.

The reason is that Sangat reposes immense faith in the symbols of the Tenth Guru and those Sikhs who have committed to them. To be seen as a committed Singh of the 10th Guru without having formally offered up your tan-man-dhan (mind/body/possessions) can seem in the minds of some as false advertising (like wearing an army rank that you don't in fact possess).

As for chakkar, you may be in the clear if Sangat can clearly see you are not wearing a Kirpan (and are therefore have not received Amrit).

Good luck on your journey.

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/03/2017 at 2:35 AM, BhForce said:

"monatosingh", this is just an opinion:

It would seem to me that candidates for amrit should refrain from sporting any symbols that are particularly associated in the minds of the Sangat with being an Amritdhari Singh. I think that would include chand/tor/khanda on dastar and kirpan (particularly on the outside).

As for kakkars candidates can wear 4 symbols, and then start to wear the 5th (kirpan) on the day of their Amrit Sanchar.

The reason is that Sangat reposes immense faith in the symbols of the Tenth Guru and those Sikhs who have committed to them. To be seen as a committed Singh of the 10th Guru without having formally offered up your tan-man-dhan (mind/body/possessions) can seem in the minds of some as false advertising (like wearing an army rank that you don't in fact possess).

As for chakkar, you may be in the clear if Sangat can clearly see you are not wearing a Kirpan (and are therefore have not received Amrit).

Good luck on your journey.

Though a non-amritdhari has every right to be shastar-dhari and carry a kirpan/shastar