Meat shop opening right next to Singh Sabha Gurdwara

In Somerset road in Handsworth Wood is Singh Sabha Gurdwara.

Unfortunately, some people are paying the landlord for property to open a meat shop. Now the soon-to-come meat shop is crazily close to the Gurdwara.

The Gurdwara has told the landlord about how this affects the Gurdwara and he understands, but unfortunately he needs money and the people are willing to open the shop there.

What are your views on this?

23 minutes ago, monatosingh said:

In Somerset road in Handsworth Wood is Singh Sabha Gurdwara.

Unfortunately, some people are paying the landlord for property to open a meat shop. Now the soon-to-come meat shop is crazily close to the Gurdwara.

The Gurdwara has told the landlord about how this affects the Gurdwara and he understands, but unfortunately he needs money and the people are willing to open the shop there.

What are your views on this?

couldn't sangat hire the shop and use it as a sikh friendly centre e.g. punjabi school, OAP centre, drop in centre  for advice  or even SIkh Business men/women move in to doing a different business . I have noticed there seems to be a trend lately of halal vendors trying to convert shops near to sikh gurdwarey into butchers, shops or restaurants selling halal meat like rubbing our noses in their proximity.

1 minute ago, jkvlondon said:

couldn't sangat hire the shop and use it as a sikh friendly centre e.g. punjabi school, OAP centre, drop in centre  for advice  or even SIkh Business men/women move in to doing a different business . I have noticed there seems to be a trend lately of halal vendors trying to convert shops near to sikh gurdwarey into butchers, shops or restaurants selling halal meat like rubbing our noses in their proximity.

Yes, the price for the property is £150,000.

5 minutes ago, KhoonKaBadlaKhoon said:

Not on gurdwara property, he can give the committee members the middle finger all he wants. 

Plus, how does this really even effect the gurdwara? 

How does it not effect the Gurdwara?

Imagine walking to a Gurdwara and all you can smell is meat.

Imagine if that smell gets stronger and you can smell it all the way from the langar hall. That won't be very pleasant would it?

There was a similar case of a halal meat factory was going to be opened near a UK gurdwara and eventually legal action was taken and they couldn't open it near the premises.

Same thing needs to happen here, not because Sikhs cant eat meat because they can. However the hygiene and bad smell from meat shops does effect the environment. A gurdwara should be a welcoming place for vegetarians and non vegetarians. If rotting meat smells is near the Gurdwara hardly anyone is likely to come to pray, so they can file a case against such a shop being opened next to them.

Further more I have also noticed pakistani muslim shops mostly restaurants opening right next to UK gurdwara sahib's. Maybe its a direct policy by zealous muslims to try and undermine non-muslim places of worship or maybe there's nothing sinister about the motives however knowing islam's history with non-muslim communities i chose to believe its often to undermine the other communities.

1 hour ago, genie said:

There was a similar case of a halal meat factory was going to be opened near a UK gurdwara and eventually legal action was taken and they couldn't open it near the premises.

Same thing needs to happen here, not because Sikhs cant eat meat because they can. However the hygiene and bad smell from meat shops does effect the environment. A gurdwara should be a welcoming place for vegetarians and non vegetarians. If rotting meat smells is near the Gurdwara hardly anyone is likely to come to pray, so they can file a case against such a shop being opened next to them.

I think you mean Bradford. However, legal action is never a gimmie. It is, moreover, costly.

If the halal meat seller does buy the property, there would need to be a planning application to the local council for change of use because the shop is currently a beauty salon. As a neighbour, the Gurdwara would have the right to oppose any application, therefore, the first recourse would be to the local council.

However, the anticipated success or failure of this approach depends very much on council policy.

I am no expert on this specific area. What I do know is that pak muslims have majority influence in Birmingham just through sheer volume of presence through population. Given many of the councillors, and even the MPs, are muslim, I fear that a challenge to a planning application would simply be brushed aside.

1 hour ago, genie said:

Further more I have also noticed pakistani muslim shops mostly restaurants opening right next to UK gurdwara sahib's. Maybe its a direct policy by zealous muslims to try and undermine non-muslim places of worship or maybe there's nothing sinister about the motives however knowing islam's history with non-muslim communities i chose to believe its often to undermine the other communities.

Let's not be coy about this. It will be the latter.

*URGENT* Property Sale or Rent:

URGENT REQUEST TO ALL

There is potential of a halal meat shop opening in close proximity of Singh Sabha Gurdwara Sahib Somerset Road Handsworth Wood. The landlord has been made aware of the offence meat sale at the premises will cause to the Sikh Community which indeed will result in an outright objection by Sikhs across UK who fundamentally condemn this. While he understands this as an issue, he as a businessman has indicated the loss he is making with a vacant property. It is a MIXED USE commercial property with self-contained accommodation above. The property already has a constant rental income for the accommodation.

There are 2 urgent options proposed to the Sikh Community:

Purchase of the property (Currently on market for £149,995, offers are invited)

Letting the property on a long-term lease

As the Gurdwara are not currently in a position to undertake either of the above options, *we* *are calling upon anyone that may be interested in pursuing the request* Specifications of the property with both options can be made available upon request. The property is located on Somerset Road, Handsworth Wood, Birmingham, B20 2JG.

For further information or to express an interest please contact Mandeep Singh, Committee Member of Singh Sabha Gurdwara, Handsworth Wood on 07584374686 or email any inquiries to singhsabhagurdw
ara@live.com.

We urge all members of the sangat to spread this advertisement as much as possible.

Thank you- Singh Sabha Gurdwara, Somerset Road.

9 hours ago, jashb said:

*URGENT* Property Sale or Rent:

URGENT REQUEST TO ALL

There is potential of a halal meat shop opening in close proximity of Singh Sabha Gurdwara Sahib Somerset Road Handsworth Wood. The landlord has been made aware of the offence meat sale at the premises will cause to the Sikh Community which indeed will result in an outright objection by Sikhs across UK who fundamentally condemn this. While he understands this as an issue, he as a businessman has indicated the loss he is making with a vacant property. It is a MIXED USE commercial property with self-contained accommodation above. The property already has a constant rental income for the accommodation.

There are 2 urgent options proposed to the Sikh Community:

Purchase of the property (Currently on market for £149,995, offers are invited)

Letting the property on a long-term lease

As the Gurdwara are not currently in a position to undertake either of the above options, *we* *are calling upon anyone that may be interested in pursuing the request* Specifications of the property with both options can be made available upon request. The property is located on Somerset Road, Handsworth Wood, Birmingham, B20 2JG.

For further information or to express an interest please contact Mandeep Singh, Committee Member of Singh Sabha Gurdwara, Handsworth Wood on 07584374686 or email any inquiries to singhsabhagurdw
ara@live.com.

We urge all members of the sangat to spread this advertisement as much as possible.

Thank you- Singh Sabha Gurdwara, Somerset Road.

Yes, that's the one.