Age difference between husband and wife

Guest Sikh

On 4/21/2017 at 11:13 PM, Guest Sikh said:

I just want to ask is it okay to be 7 years older than my husband when I get marrid what does the Gurbani say about being with someone that is older than her husband???

Waheguru Ji ka khanda waheguru Ji ki fateh

You have two different questions: 1) What does Gurbani say, and 2) Is it OK for the husband to be 7 years younger.

Firstly, Gurbani doesn't address the question per se, because that's not what Gurbani's purpose is. Gurbani is mostly about pure spirituality, not about various rules.

But that doesn't mean you should do whatever you want to do.

Secondly, it is generally understood in our society that the man should be somewhat older than the woman. This is for the simple reason that boys mature later than girls. This is actually written in some books of Maryada, such as that published by a Taksal.

Now understand you're free to do what ever you want. But you may want to think about what you're doing before you make an irrevocable mistake in your life.

On 4/22/2017 at 3:17 PM, Jacfsing2 said:

It doesn't make a difference, it may be a rebellion to Punjabi Maat, for reasons which I won't delve into, but yes there's nothing wrong in Gurmat.

So, friend, are you saying that once we adopt Sikhism, we have to dispense with all of the accumulated wisdom of the ages, and all that we possibly have to guide is is explicit injunctions of Gurbani, and anything not explicitly enjoined there we can do?

12 hours ago, Guest Guest Sikhs said:

the only reason i asked is because the place where i use to work now i left the job a sikh guy was my collegue and he is 17 im 24 and i love him so much. I dont want to tell him my feelings...but i left the job and i am never going to see him... will waheguru do something to make him see me if we are meant to be together.... could i ask waheguru for him as my life partner and h=get my wish happen..will waheguru dothis?  

Cradle snatcher

10 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Cradle snatcher

What could a 17 year old boy possibly have to offer a 24 year old woman in any meaningful sense on a mental and spiritual basis, aside from the obvious, lol? Yes, yes, there's always the diamond in the rough, but I'd hazard a guess and suggest this isn't one of those situations.

9 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

What could a 17 year old boy possibly have to offer a 24 year old woman in any meaningful sense on a mental and spiritual basis, aside from the obvious, lol? Yes, yes, there's always the diamond in the rough, but I'd hazard a guess and suggest this isn't one of those situations.

I just hope it isn't one of those teacher-student relationships. 

45 minutes ago, BhForce said:

So, friend, are you saying that once we adopt Sikhism, we have to dispense with all of the accumulated wisdom of the ages, and all that we possibly have to guide is is explicit injunctions of Gurbani, and anything not explicitly enjoined there we can do?

accumulated wisdom ? what like women are lower status humans , you need to tie threads to your wrist to protect yourself , that the birth of a male is worth celebrating more than a female ? That dheeaan is a part of our culture and should be celebrated despite the fact it was a shameful activity used to mask selling out your daughters? There is very little punjabi wisdom beyond the level of common decency worth mentioning.

As for this young lady , she is being ridiculous a seveteen year old guy is immature , without prospects as he needs to complete his sixth form education, and she is being a bit creepy going after a child . 

1 minute ago, jkvlondon said:

accumulated wisdom ? what like women are lower status humans , you need to tie threads to your wrist to protect yourself , that the birth of a male is worth celebrating more than a female ? That dheeaan is a part of our culture and should be celebrated despite the fact it was a shameful activity used to mask selling out your daughters? There is very little punjabi wisdom beyond the level of common decency worth mentioning

OK, so you're saying all that we possibly have to guide is is explicit injunctions of Gurbani, and anything not explicitly enjoined there we can do?

Is that correct?

3 minutes ago, BhForce said:

OK, so you're saying all that we possibly have to guide is is explicit injunctions of Gurbani, and anything not explicitly enjoined there we can do?

Is that correct?

no we have sikh cultural wisdom from our history ...which is known and shared that is  another source of guidance , also the rehitnamey give us more practical guidance and form a grounding to our ethical standards . This woman is deluded in her infatuation 

5 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

As for this young lady , she is being ridiculous a seveteen year old guy is immature , without prospects as he needs to complete his sixth form education, and she is being a bit creepy going after a child . 

You just added this paragraph after I responded to your post, which changes the entire basis of where you're coming from without assigning a reason in the "Reason for edit" box. It's a bit difficult to have a conversation this way.

6 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

Edited 2 minutes ago by jkvlondon

Just now, BhForce said:

You just added this paragraph after I responded to your post, which changes the entire basis of where you're coming from without assigning a reason in the "Reason for edit" box. It's a bit difficult to have a conversation this way.

my ancient computer is playing up sorry ... not trying to trip anyone up ... she really is not thinking straight or in the correct gurmat way ...