Bhagti Movement vs Sikhi

Guest Jacfsing2

Guest Jacfsing2

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh! How different is the Bhagti movement from Sikhi? It seems like there are lots of overlaps and the only real difference I could find was the need for Gur-prassad, (among the entire movement not the 15 bhagats, who did believe in Gur-prassad). Also if they are really very similar, what prevented those from the Bhagti movement from being Sikh during the Hindu mass conversions to Islam? Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

26 minutes ago, Jacfsing2 said:

How different is the Bhagti movement from Sikhi? It seems like there are lots of overlaps and the only real difference I could find was the need for Gur-prassad, (among the entire movement not the 15 bhagats, who did believe in Gur-prassad).

Well, if you believe that nindak McLeod, Sikhism was just an accidental outgrowth of a sant gaddi started by a guy named Nanak who was a North Indian sant in the bhakti (bhagti) tradition. I see any bhagats that came before Guru Nanak Dev ji as being in the mold of John the Baptist or others in the Bible who prepared the ground before the coming of Jesus Christ.

I also see Sikhism as the fulfillment and embodiment of the Bhagti movement. A lot of people say they like spirituality, but not "organized" religion. I think they are mistaken, as an elixir needs a vessel to contain it. Have you every tried to serve tea without a cup? How would you propose to keep something valuable, like rosewater, without a bottle? I think Guru Nanak ji wanted to create a panth to institutionalize the Bhagti movement and to allow it (the panth) to serve as a means for spreading Bhagti ideals:

ਮਾਰਿਆ ਸਿਕਾ ਜਗਤ੍ਰਿ ਵਿਚਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਪੰਥ ਚਲਾਇਆ।

In the world, he established the authority (of his doctrines) and started a religion, devoid of any impurity (niramal panth).

https://searchgurbani.com/bhai_gurdas_vaaran/vaar/1/pauri/45

37 minutes ago, Jacfsing2 said:

Also if they are really very similar, what prevented those from the Bhagti movement from being Sikh during the Hindu mass conversions to Islam?

Similar as in the 15 Bhagats, or the other ones? As far as the other ones, they couldn't be absorbed because their ideology was imperfect. But as for the other ones, it's a tragedy that they could not be combined into Sikhism. As far as I know, many/most of these Bhagti movements are just absorbed into idol worship of the founders, like the Kabir-panthis, Ravidassias, and followers of Bhagat Namdev ji. Sad.

Guest Jacfsing2

Another question related to this, why do "disciples" of the bhagats follow Pseudo-Hinduism and worship idols of the same people who fought idol worship?