Swami Ramdev's yoga why we should give it a go.

Singh1989

If you or you know loved ones ill on health it may be ideal to try Swami Ramdev, a well renowned Yoga master (yeah yeah we all know him) in India. The Vilaum nirom (think it's called) is a form of breathing exercise where you close one side of nose, inhale deeply, then press other side of nose and exhale. Then inhale again before exhaling by pressing other side of nose. This should be done for 20 mins before breakfast and again in the evening after 2 - 3 hours gap if eaten anything.

Also, food is important! Giving up fizzy drinks and only drink water, fresh home made fruit juices and milk. Instead of crisps/ biscuits go for dried fruits, almonds and kacchi sholay (Dariaa) all can be brought from cash n carry/ Indian shops. Speaking of fruit try consuming at least one different fruit everyday not just apple, banana and all the fruits we tend to find sweet n juicy. IN TWO WEEKS TIME of doing this there will be a massive improvement in health, whatever the ill health may be. (Include depression)! Food affects the brain and how we think, feel all is caused by chemicals signalled from the brain. How are the chemicals created? mainly by food MORE than life situations. 

NOW am sure some Sikhs may think "But isn't it against Sikhi to do such Yogas?" Simple answer, no. What will an obese person, who must lose weight, do? Meditate on Naam or exercise? which of the 2 will suit them the most? They're ill health, need help am afraid Naam will be shakti for the mind not the body here. So being open minded and taking an advantage of Swami Ji's yoga plus changing the diet should be used.

17 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

wouldn't take advise on health from that diseased mind ...mr Ramdev is modi's pet , take up jumprope, weighttraining, gatka, MMA, anything

Ok but it's FREE advise he gave the world. Am sure you have more knowledge like newspaper article / interviews to call him Modhi's pet. I kno NOTHING about India politics.

Also, I have a soft spot for Swami Ramdev because he spoke out for the 1984 memorial at Darbar Sahib:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Baba-Ramdev-justifies-memorial-in-Golden-Temple/articleshow/14691155.cms

Not only this, he actually said India reaped what she sowed:

http://www.pressreader.com/india/hindustan-times-patiala/20140403/281702612683283

So I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt on a lot of things.

Guest Jacfsing2
2 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

wouldn't take advise on health from that diseased mind ...mr Ramdev is modi's pet , take up jumprope, weighttraining, gatka, MMA, anything

Comparing physical and mental health is totally different, also not everyone can do that stuff you mentioned for physical reasons, (disabilities and health conditions), so telling them to fight wouldn't be the best start for their fitness. Stretching is more open and you don't really need an instructor or equipment, and if you have one of the physical deficiencies, (apologize for word, not wanting to offend anyone who may have those), then yoga seems relatively accessible.

2 hours ago, Singh1989 said:

If you or you know loved ones ill on health it may be ideal to try Swami Ramdev, a well renowned Yoga master (yeah yeah we all know him) in India. The Vilaum nirom (think it's called) is a form of breathing exercise where you close one side of nose, inhale deeply, then press other side of nose and exhale. Then inhale again before exhaling by pressing other side of nose. This should be done for 20 mins before breakfast and again in the evening after 2 - 3 hours gap if eaten anything.

Also, food is important! Giving up fizzy drinks and only drink water, fresh home made fruit juices and milk. Instead of crisps/ biscuits go for dried fruits, almonds and kacchi sholay (Dariaa) all can be brought from cash n carry/ Indian shops. Speaking of fruit try consuming at least one different fruit everyday not just apple, banana and all the fruits we tend to find sweet n juicy. IN TWO WEEKS TIME of doing this there will be a massive improvement in health, whatever the ill health may be. (Include depression)! Food affects the brain and how we think, feel all is caused by chemicals signalled from the brain. How are the chemicals created? mainly by food MORE than life situations. 

NOW am sure some Sikhs may think "But isn't it against Sikhi to do such Yogas?" Simple answer, no. What will an obese person, who must lose weight, do? Meditate on Naam or exercise? which of the 2 will suit them the most? They're ill health, need help am afraid Naam will be shakti for the mind not the body here. So being open minded and taking an advantage of Swami Ji's yoga plus changing the diet should be used.

Even though in the above response I mentioned that some people need yoga, I'm going to say that yoga as a whole has become very Hinduized, even the atheists and christians make it a Hindu activity with idols and the AUM symbol, (AUM, not Om, as in the Trimurti, Brahma, Shiva and Vishnu). In the diaspora we should call it stretching, (cause nobody wants to call it yoga, after the whole crazy gora yoga/indian fetish people).

Yoga is ok to do as an exercise or for health, as long as it's not mixed with Gurbani as BHForce ji as mentioned, in order to reach God, as we know that's not the way. Instead of going to Ram Dev, there's also Sikhs that guide on the different poses and stretches for health. Sikh channel used to have one of their health show, doing acupressure, but he also does yoga and is good, explains which breathing exercises help for what and tips on diet too. 

Here's another one on natural remedies, already on the Sikh channels:

Exercise:

7 hours ago, Jacfsing2 said:

Comparing physical and mental health is totally different, also not everyone can do that stuff you mentioned for physical reasons, (disabilities and health conditions), so telling them to fight wouldn't be the best start for their fitness. Stretching is more open and you don't really need an instructor or equipment, and if you have one of the physical deficiencies, (apologize for word, not wanting to offend anyone who may have those), then yoga seems relatively accessible.

Yes for those with disabilities or not so active people, then light yoga is ok to do. I've done light yoga in a group and it did help me with some of my symptoms. Yoga doesn't have to be done sitting on the floor either, with complexed positions. I've done it sitting on a chair in a health activity environment. I couldn't cope with the heavy stuff that Ram Dev does, one needs to be quite healthy for that. 

He is a bit of a snake in the grass be careful :

https://www.sikh24.com/2012/07/10/baba-ramdev-demonstrates-anti-sikh-feelings-takes-u-turn-on-1984-memorial/#.WQMO4n1tnIU

http://www.hindustantimes.com/punjab/now-ramdev-booked-for-hurting-sikh-sentiments/story-Wi7fy3CuFAZcDbb8FcctgN.html

http://sikhissues.blogspot.co.uk/2006/08/ramdev-vip-at-gurdwara-soho-road.html

http://www.mapsofindia.com/my-india/india/controversial-remarks-by-baba-ramdev

DDP yoga (gora exwrestler) or even Kokoro yoga I would consider better as it doesn't come with the hindu kowtowing:

veteran's results with DDP

just reading up on kokoro yoga , again this is a veteran who used yoga in  the battlefield to centre his emotions to become a better warrior , so far so interesting

18 hours ago, Singh1989 said:

What will an obese person, who must lose weight, do? Meditate on Naam or exercise? 

Both, naam is the breath of life, without naam a person is dead.  Exercise is only for the body.  An obese person can attain sachkhand by doing naam simran but a person exercising cant go to sachkhand.  The Gurus have taught us to stay physically fit, however the shakti of Gurbani has given a blind person sight.  Gurbani shakti can't be underestimated.  Reading Sri Dasam Granth Sahib ji (Jaap Sahib, Chandi di Vaar) gives the weak person the strength to take on an elephant.  Main goal of life is to do naam simran everything else comes secondary.  Yoga mat is for only the body and still has many aspects to that have nothing to do with the body.  Learning how to breath properly also comes from Gurbani.  Naam simran is very vast, there is no limit to what Naam Simran can do.  For those who doubt here is a small example.  Those who have dived into Naam simran have controlled their breathing and mind.  The Naam cools the mind, brings it in a blissful content state and as a result the breathing becomes deeper and more fulfilling for the body.  The mind is the control center of a human and this is where Naam simran operates to fix and regulate.  Yoga does not have this ability and it does not matter the type of yoga a person is practicing.  Many weightlifters find weight lifting relaxing.  However the relaxing result only stays for a split second.  And its the same for yoga.  The person has not been pulled out of lust, anger, greed, ego, attachment which are messing with the command center of the body in the first place; the brain.  In a split second they dive into lust or anger after a relaxing second.  Naam simran attacks the cancer from the root and destroys it to pieces.  Ask a runner what it takes to run 10 miles.  They will say you need a sound mind because most of running is all the mind telling you to stop, give up, body aches, etc.  If a person is focused on Naam simran their mind is sound, their breathing is deep and they can go for runs for practice and get to the 10 miles or longer.