Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Recommended Posts

VJKK VJKF!

 

Quick question Sangat Ji,

 

I have being doing parkamaya from left to right (Maharaaj Ji's Saroop being on my right side) most of my life when doing Guru Sahibs darshan.

 

I have noticed that some do it from right to left (opposite direction). Mainly noticed that it is usually Nihung Singhs/Singhniya.

 

What is the correct marayada if any?

 

I ask because someone I have known for years recently changed the direction they do it in and it got me thinking.

 

Thank you ji

 

Akaal

 

Edited by SantSapai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we always keep the superior person on whom we rely on to our right side e.g. english saying right hand man . That is why during Anand Karaj Guru ji is on both parties right hand side at equal distance .

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

we always keep the superior person on whom we rely on to our right side e.g. english saying right hand man . That is why during Anand Karaj Guru ji is on both parties right hand side at equal distance .

Hanji,

That is what my thinking has always been too.

Just thought I'd ask to find out if anyone had a different reason as to why some go in the opposite direction so to speak. I thought that they may have some sort of marayada they follow.

Thank you ji

Akaal

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SantSapai said:

Hanji,

That is what my thinking has always been too.

Just thought I'd ask to find out if anyone had a different reason as to why some go in the opposite direction so to speak. I thought that they may have some sort of marayada they follow.

Thank you ji

Akaal

 

just read an older thread from gurmat bibek 

http://gurmatbibek.com/forum/read.php?3,6902

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

just read an older thread from gurmat bibek 

http://gurmatbibek.com/forum/read.php?3,6902

Thank you for sharing the link.

Interesting post.

Not too sure about the Shaster being sanmukh to Guru Sahib as a valid reason though for the anti-clockers. Maharaaj ang sang in all directions but again this comes down to ones shardha pavnah.

I also used to think that we go left to right - the same direction Gurbani (and English etc) is written. 

Thanks,

Akaal

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a few reasons for why Nihangs do parkarma from right to left. 

Nihangs were stationed all over anandpur Sahib & had their main quarters at Shaheedi Bagh which is a couple of minutes walk from Kes Garh Sahib. When sangat in their thousands used to come to do darshan of Guru Sahib then mahraj used to be seated at Kes Garh Sahib. Mahraj gave a hukam that the Nihang fauj did not have to que up with the rest of the sangat & could come straight to mahraj, do namaskar & parkarma & then take leave as & when they wanted.

someone above mentioned that another reason is because of having our shaster facing mahraj as our shaster want to do namaskar of Mahraj as well but this is only half the reason. Mahraj loved shaster & seeing his ladli fauj carrying shaster pleased him a great deal. So it was a combination of Shaster doing darshan of Mahraj but also because of Mahraj wanting to do darshan of our shaster.

Theres a sakhi told in the Dal Panth about a thief in the sangat who would pick people's pockets.... he was eventually caught by 1 of the Singhs doing parkarma right to left where as everyone else including the thief were doing in left to right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/05/2017 at 1:47 PM, jkvlondon said:

we always keep the superior person on whom we rely on to our right side e.g. english saying right hand man . That is why during Anand Karaj Guru ji is on both parties right hand side at equal distance .

This is also the reason why during Anand Karaj the female comes & sits to the left of the male so that he is to her right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mahakaal96 said:

This is also the reason why during Anand Karaj the female comes & sits to the left of the male so that he is to her right.

careful the 3rd wave are listening ....hehehe someone has to sit to the left in the 'inactive' phase of the lavaan  besides both are sitting at the feet of the Guru ji no need to make a controversy folks 

Edited by jkvlondon
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

careful the 3rd wave are listening ....hehehe someone has to sit to the left in the 'inactive' phase of the lavaan  besides both are sitting at the feet of the Guru ji no need to make a controversy folks 

I disagree... every second of the Anand Karaj ceremony is of equal importance & there is no active or inactive phase. The female sitting on the left & male on the right is not a coincidence.... there's significance behind that just as there is significance behind the reason why the male leads the lavan and the woman holds onto the pallan & follows.

Edited by Mahakaal96

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you go from right to left, the Sri sahib is close to Guru Sahib Ji, as the nihang singhs do it. Now, if you were to draw your sword, you would draw it AWAY from the Guru. This means that you keep shastar to serve the Guru, and challenge any dusht that goes against the Guru. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/05/2017 at 8:41 PM, Mahakaal96 said:

There's a few reasons for why Nihangs do parkarma from right to left. 

Nihangs were stationed all over anandpur Sahib & had their main quarters at Shaheedi Bagh which is a couple of minutes walk from Kes Garh Sahib. When sangat in their thousands used to come to do darshan of Guru Sahib then mahraj used to be seated at Kes Garh Sahib. Mahraj gave a hukam that the Nihang fauj did not have to que up with the rest of the sangat & could come straight to mahraj, do namaskar & parkarma & then take leave as & when they wanted.

someone above mentioned that another reason is because of having our shaster facing mahraj as our shaster want to do namaskar of Mahraj as well but this is only half the reason. Mahraj loved shaster & seeing his ladli fauj carrying shaster pleased him a great deal. So it was a combination of Shaster doing darshan of Mahraj but also because of Mahraj wanting to do darshan of our shaster.

Theres a sakhi told in the Dal Panth about a thief in the sangat who would pick people's pockets.... he was eventually caught by 1 of the Singhs doing parkarma right to left where as everyone else including the thief were doing in left to right.

Didn't know this, thanks for the information, always learning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mahakaal96 said:

I disagree... every second of the Anand Karaj ceremony is of equal importance & there is no active or inactive phase. The female sitting on the left & male on the right is not a coincidence.... there's significance behind that just as there is significance behind the reason why the male leads the lavan and the woman holds onto the pallan & follows.

physically inactive not spiritually of course ...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  



  • Topics

  • Posts

    • You completely missed my point. I said "some" not "all"
    • Guest guest
      where did you read about Harrappa? from a book written by a "white man"  and who started the excavation of Harrappa?  "white man". he didn't try and destroy either. again you are including blacks?  why?  what about chinese, arabs, native americans etc?  why are you so fixated with blacks?  your whole view-point is a black one.   and where are the beautiful buildings in africa and jamaica?
    • Guest guest
      this is not true.  very famous/popular historians like Will and Ariel Durrant openly wrote about your first point.  most of you wouldn't even know about e.g. the concept of zero if it were not from their history/research. the ancient greeks were eager to learn and learnt form other cultures.  the modern european civilisation also did this.  it was no secret,  tolstoy acknowledged buddhism, schopenhauer acknowledged indian philosophy, goethe openly admired kalidasa.  they did not make any secret of this. yes europeans picked up greek, roman stuff in the renaissance and carried it through.  but they did not steal it.  francis bacon did not accept the learned greek methods, he thought out empiricism, which formed the basis of modern science.  the mathematics of euclid was rethought by russian mathematicians, which einstein used in the theory of relativity (not the euclidean gemoetry). learning from someone is not "stealing".  taking investigation further is not "stealing". what made the most wealthy parts of asia wealthy- china, india, japan- is that they were willing to learn from west.   e.g. japan didn't steal western civilisation after ww2.   again what is "what the white man has done".  and "our knowledge".  very petty way of thinking.  
    • I think this is due to the big improvement of regional cinema industries. I remember watching punjabi movies 10-15 years ago. They were very inferior to bollywood movies. In terms of story lines, special affects and general quality of production. This was understandable though as Punjabi cinema was just starting to come good and was not well fincanced .Many of the early punjabi films were just about some macho punjabi guy acting like a gangster with big mucha lol. I think those days are gone we are now seeing some good story lines and productions instead of those stereo typical films that were made in the 80's and 90's. Poeple can relate more to their own cultual language films more then the hindi type nonsence films. That glorify khans and muslims.Punjabi films can promote Sikhism and Punjabi language and do much good for punjab and punjabis by making good moral films to adsress alcohol and other issues affecting us. What we need is better actors, directors and producers to steer punjabi cinema to a bright future. Maybe it can become a global force? Tamil film industry is huge and they do good at promoting their language, culture and faith.
    • Guest Paapiman
      wjkk wjkf Even the wife of Bhai saab Bhai Rai Jodh jee (a Muslim Rajput warrior who assisted Sixth Master in a battle) was a Sikh. Daas is not sure if he and his other family members became Sikhs or not. The grandsons (Bhai Lakhmir jee and Bhai Shamir jee) of Bhai Rai Jodh jee stayed loyal to the Gurughar and helped Sri Satguru jee (Tenth Master).   Bhul chuk maaf
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use